Sim Card: Unlock vs. Unblock

Guest MI 99XPL

Guest MI 99XPL

I received my PUK code from AT&T and was wondering if there is a difference between unlock and unblock. I want to unlock my phone so I can use any carrier's sim card. But the information that AT&T sent says unblock. Are they different or is this just what AT&T calls unlocking?

If my PUK code will unlock my phone, the direction don't make sence. What screen do I enter the PUK code on? Or the **05* code? I tried from the main screen but the phone wants to treat it as a phone number and trys to dial it.

Thanks.

A PUK code is used to unlock a device that has been temporarily locked due to incorrect pin entry.

It does not have any bearing on the sim-lock or any block placed on a sim by the networks.

Guest Mysterious Stranger
A PUK code is used to unlock a device that has been temporarily locked due to incorrect pin entry.

It does not have any bearing on the sim-lock or any block placed on a sim by the networks.

PUK is a SIM code, independant of a handset. It stands for 'personnal unblocking key' and is sim specific and sometimes( in the UK at least) written somewhere on the credit card size SIM before you break out the chip or on the documentation that comes with the SIM.

It's used if you have a SIM pin and enter the wrong one too many times. It does NOT unlock a device and is not device specific although the error message if the sim needs a PUK entering can differ.

It is SIM specific. If you receive a replacement SIM and have your service / account transferred, the PUK will change.

http://www.o2.co.uk/puk/landing

M.S

p.s for cheap AT&T unlock codes check my recent posts. I think the eBay sellers name is blowfishsomething or other :-)

Edited by Mysterious Stranger