Data Plans - whats the latest costs?

Guest Samsonite

Guest Samsonite

I went into my local CPW today to have a play with the Samsung 8510i.. they had one and i'm going to go for one.

Now the next question is data plan. I was of the opinion that nothing beats the T-mob WnW deals but am struggling to get consistent information. The last time i spoke to rep at the T-mob stand, basic WnW was a fiver on top of the basic tariff. IS that still the case? their website only gives details of a £7.50 bolt-on with 1GB of data... (and i'll bet it doest allow IM etc...)

the guy in the CPW said that Orange have the best data pans (really?!?!?!?) but couldn't give me ANY details and THEIR website gives a data charge of a maximum £1.50 a day.. I cannot find anything about a data plan with download caps etc..

Again, the CPW man said that on his iPhone he got the 200MB package for £7.50 (from o2 obviously)and regularly clocks up 700MB+ of use and hasn't been hit with a charge yet!

so whats the deal? What do you kind people have on your tariff as a data add-on, whats it called, how much is it and have you fallen foul of any download cap?

I dont have a problem with T-mob except they cant do the 8510 yet and i can get my PAC out of Orange tomorrow. Orange have got the 8510 for a headline deal but i dont reckon they would let me have it for gratis on an upgrade - and even if they did, i dont know how their dataplans are structured!!

help!!! ;)

Edited by Samsonite

Guest psionandy
I went into my local CPW today to have a play with the Samsung 8510i.. they had one and i'm going to go for one.

Now the next question is data plan. I was of the opinion that nothing beats the T-mob WnW deals but am struggling to get consistent information. The last time i spoke to rep at the T-mob stand, basic WnW was a fiver on top of the basic tariff. IS that still the case? their website only gives details of a £7.50 bolt-on with 1GB of data... (and i'll bet it doest allow IM etc...)

the guy in the CPW said that Orange have the best data pans (really?!?!?!?) but couldn't give me ANY details and THEIR website gives a data charge of a maximum £1.50 a day.. I cannot find anything about a data plan with download caps etc..

Again, the CPW man said that on his iPhone he got the 200MB package for £7.50 (from o2 obviously)and regularly clocks up 700MB+ of use and hasn't been hit with a charge yet!

so whats the deal? What do you kind people have on your tariff as a data add-on, whats it called, how much is it and have you fallen foul of any download cap?

I dont have a problem with T-mob except they cant do the 8510 yet and i can get my PAC out of Orange tomorrow. Orange have got the 8510 for a headline deal but i dont reckon they would let me have it for gratis on an upgrade - and even if they did, i dont know how their dataplans are structured!!

help!!! ;)

Web n walk is 5 when bought with your tarrif which commits you to it for the full length of your contract (ie 18 months)

Web n walk is 7.50 when boutght separately from your tarrif, but you can cancel at any time,

Both have a fair use policy of 1GB. If you go over by a lot they may ask you to refuce your data usage in the next month, or ask you to buy a larger plan. 12.50 mobile broadband (3gb) or 20 (which allows VOIP!)

Orange will either let you have a gig a month for evening and weekend use only,.. or 250MB anytime. If you go over the 250 they will charge you at the standard rate which is capped to 1.50 per day.

O2 is unlimited on the iPhone, and 200mb on PAYG.... I don't know what it is on the standard contract.

voda is 500 per month... and then 1.50 per day if you go over for the next 14mb and then chargable per MB over that.

3 is 5 for 1GB...

O2 is unlimited on the iPhone, and 200mb on PAYG.... I don't know what it is on the standard contract.

If you're wanting a voice contract as well, the current O2 Simplicity offer of 600mins, 1000 texts and free "unlimited" internet bolt-on (120MB FUP, but AFAIK advisory only) for £20/m takes some beating. No lengthy contract tie-in either (30 days).

Edited by Metoo

Guest Confucious

It depends how much you are going to use it and what for....

O2's 'unlimited' FUP is 200Mb but that isn't a lot - not sure what happens if you go over.

Orange 250Mb isn't a lot either and is £8/month on lower tariffs.

Vodaphone now include 500Mb in most (all?) of their contracts but charge if you go over - some people have run up VERY large bills!

Three have 1Gb and will stop you going over by disconnecting you for the rest of the month!

T-Mobile's W'n'W standard is 1Gb which is reasonable and if you go over 2 months on the trot they either throttle you or ask you to move to W'n'W Plus at £12.50/month

None of the above allow the use of the phone as a modem - W'n'W Plus does - hence the 3Gb limit.

What's best for you depends on how much data you are going to use, coverage and assume you are on contract not PAYG.

HTH

All of these are for phone use only and

Guest Samsonite

What's best for you depends on how much data you are going to use, coverage and assume you are on contract not PAYG.

HTH

All of these are for phone use only and

cheers for that.. I wish the Samsung 8510 was on T-Mob or Voda right now but at the mo its only on Orange or O2 via CPW... (and its only 'free' on a £35/month you buy online, in store the same deal makes the phone £60!!)

i have no idea how much data i will actually burn thru - some months it may be horrific if i'm away from home alot, but then for the most part, i would have thought 200MB would do...

got my PAC en route from Orange so i have all the options.