Samsung Omnia, memory critically low

Guest ChewieT

Guest dopeness
in opera:config u see many different options under eachother, just scroll down to user prefs and tab it. now the options of user pref roll out. scroll down to the cache4 directory and just ad My Storage (choose the exact name for your storage)in front of what is already there. when finished, your done, just scroll down and save. after that close opera and your ready to go. no problems..

and use cleartemp..good program

Thanks. I just don't want to loose any functionality by missing a step.

Side note, I just purchased MemMaid. Does this perform the same functions as Cleartemp? I mean the renaming of files/registry info...

Guest mementomori
Which raises a question for me. Not sure if if has be brought up before but:

Where is it best to install programs?

Storage card or on the internal?

Can it be a difference between software to software?

I am a old Nokia user and this is my first Wndiws Mobile Phone so not 100% with it yet!

On the Nokia phones I could install a prog on the sd card and switch on demand, for example. I had one card with only games etc! Might not be necessary with the omnia as it has a massive stoarage but might come in handy, can never have enough of storage you know;)

well to answer your question. its depends in the software. first of all your device memory reads faster then the storage, so it depends on what kind of program u use. For instance spb shell (at least with me, i've read different in other posts ;-))installs directly into the device. I think this is good because it yours interface and should run fast, so better on the device mem. I also use spb wallet,which doesnt need to run fast, the storage is fast enough. And there are also programs that need to be installed on the device.. like shozu, and some other apps witch i cant think off. :) sorry

also to remember is eventhough you install on my storage, still the program will use device memory. Also important that for programs like word, notes, opera, camera you put save settings in program on my storage.

aight good luck

Guest steefow
Hi. I have a Samsung Omnia on VZW network. I was getting the "Memory Critically Low" error too. So, I opened File Explorer and did some searching for files that could be removed etc. I found an entire cache of files here: My Device: Program Files: VZAppZone:Temp:Temp

I deleted these files using a mass delete: Menu:Edit:Select All: Menu:Delete With no ill effects as of yet.

I spent the better part of an hour testing every application on the phone, opening contacts, etc. I haven't noticed anything wrong.

Doing this freed up almost 35mb of storage!!!!!

Has anyone else done this? Thank you!

Rick

Thanks Rick, I just did as you explained and recovered about 27MB. VZAppZone appears to add another 7KB temp file in that directory every single day.

Steve

Guest dwallersv
Simply Download 'ClearTemp' . it's free and very handy one. u can even change ur cache folder from device to any storage u want in option. and use SKtool lite. it also has Free up ROM fuction.

and I recommend u guys use clean ROm or M2D rom if u suffer critical low memory issue.

Can't on a 910.

There are alot of us out here waiting in great anticipation for a cooked 910 rom. Especially an M2D rom for the 910, with all the Verizon crapola removed.

Guess I need to get up to speed on becoming a chef... :-)

Guest dogwood63

The one thing I've noticed is that in order for your ringtones to work for your alarms and things like that, they have to be put in your windows file. And according to using memmaid it shows most of my memory being used is in windows/2776 files. I have no clue what I'm looking for, or what to do? I've cleared all my cache and temp and history and I still only have like 6.58 on main storage and thats with vzw apps gone. Any ideas on what to try next?

Guest stangdave

Try Deleting the files in My Device/ Application Data/ Opera 9/ Download. It seems that even if you delete the files from the downloads menu from Opera it does not delete it from your memory.

before:

88.17mb total

78.72mb in use

9.45 mb free

after:

Guest MOBILETEQ
SPB Mobile shell doesnt have to be installed any where specifically.

I have it installed onto the storage card with no problems.

In fact i have EVERYTHING installed onto the storage card.

I am sure there is registry tweak/hack around somewhere that will allow you to cache Opera onto the SD card. I will have a look and if i find anything i will post it here.

May I ask how you made your handset install SPB Mobile Shell in Storage Card? Usually, there's a screen option, but for this it auto install to main storage. :)

Furthermore, how to set softwares to install directly to Storage Card? :D

Edited by MOBILETEQ

Guest dogwood63
Try Deleting the files in My Device/ Application Data/ Opera 9/ Download. It seems that even if you delete the files from the downloads menu from Opera it does not delete it from your memory.

before:

88.17mb total

78.72mb in use

9.45 mb free

after:

Not seeing the folder download. Would it be all the seperate files below the folders? If so, when I went to delete them, it said if I delete the file called axobjects, there may be some programs that won't run.

Guest JamRowZ
Hi. I have a Samsung Omnia on VZW network. I was getting the "Memory Critically Low" error too. So, I opened File Explorer and did some searching for files that could be removed etc. I found an entire cache of files here: My Device: Program Files: VZAppZone:Temp:Temp

I deleted these files using a mass delete: Menu:Edit:Select All: Menu:Delete With no ill effects as of yet.

I spent the better part of an hour testing every application on the phone, opening contacts, etc. I haven't noticed anything wrong.

Rick

thanks - that gave me 20 mb on storage

clearing cache gave me only 3 mb

Guest ChandanS

Hi,

Mine is also from vodafone UK (not operator locked but some operator preinstalled settings and application)

On official vodafone eforum, I found there are lots of problems on the official rom upgradation ACHJ2

So thinking of installing an unofficial rom to get rid of memory prob (mine have only 3 MB space left :))

Any of you tried custom rom on this vodafone omnia?

thanks in advance.

Guest d1mitrov
Not seeing the folder download. Would it be all the seperate files below the folders? If so, when I went to delete them, it said if I delete the file called axobjects, there may be some programs that won't run.

im not seeing a download folder either...just a bunch of seperate files under all the other folders...

also ive installed a gps program...how do i uninstall a program off of my phone. if i go to mystorage, delete the cab file and the folder with all the other files, it still leaves an icon in the Programs Folder. Any better way to uninstall???

Guest Buddhainuk

I had the same problem with mine got so fed up with it had a go at T-mobile about the problem and they sent out another Omnia i have had no problem with the new phone at all I think that it was a fault with the old phone give that a try bud.

Guest buzzburton
My memory doesn't add up at all :)

When I click on Settings>Memory, I get two choices; Main or Storage Card. So I added around 100 .mp3 songs to the 'DCIM' folder when my Omnia was connected to my computer. Now when I'm on my phone and I click Settings>Memory>Storage Card it tells me I have used up every last bit of my Storage Card memory :D

With the 8GB Omnia you are supposed to be able to store around 2500 songs altogether?! Where have I gone wrong?

Hi, I'm also having problems with memory. I've only just got this phone and have downloaded 529MB of music, 5.29MB DCIM and 132KB WMDRM on My Storage. Out of 8GB of memory it is saying I only have 49.5MB left. The other main memory is almost always full as everything you download seems to go to this storage facility - you don't get the option of switching. I had to delete some files today just so I could use the camera - and half the time I don't know what I'm deleting! I'd be really grateful if someone could enlighten me.

Guest jrc_law
Simply Download 'ClearTemp' . it's free and very handy one. u can even change ur cache folder from device to any storage u want in option. and use SKtool lite. it also has Free up ROM fuction.

and I recommend u guys use clean ROm or M2D rom if u suffer critical low memory issue.

I sure didn't think I was a NOOB, having owned about 10 different "smart phones? in the last 8 years, hacked them, flashed them, etc., etc., but ClearTemp installation has got me stalled. Maybe I've skipped or forgotten a step, but after copying the CAB file to my Omnia, I can't get it to install. Can someone give me a 1,2,3, etc. step by step. I know it's a pain in the ass, but It's driving me crazy, and at 58 I'm sure I'm a dinosaur to most of you guys. HELP, PLEASE.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Acesymmetric

I also have the Omnia. I have been able to move files around and delete files (some that came from my desktop during sync) with no issues other than after deleting some photos to free up space it still shows the same amount of memory used. I assume that means that the memory is still alocated to these files and I need to clear cache or empty trash or something but I cannot figure out how to do either of these things. I know there is software out there to clean up cache and registries but isn't there any way to do it with the programs already on board?

Thanks!

Rick

Guest Acesymmetric

One more thing.....if I have 8 Gigs of storage should that show as 8000 megs not 80?

I also have the Omnia. I have been able to move files around and delete files (some that came from my desktop during sync) with no issues other than after deleting some photos to free up space it still shows the same amount of memory used. I assume that means that the memory is still alocated to these files and I need to clear cache or empty trash or something but I cannot figure out how to do either of these things. I know there is software out there to clean up cache and registries but isn't there any way to do it with the programs already on board?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
Guest curnj

Rick

I am trying it right now. Over 3000 files of at least 600bytes or more. It's taking a long time, but this should free up a lot of space. I should just remove the 'zone' all together.

Guest curnj

Thanks!

I use Vicsoft ClearTemp which works pretty well.

Guest pinkfloydfan001

Rick,

I think your "solution" may do it for me. I had no idea that there were 3,000+ small files buried there. It freed up 25+MB.

Marty

Rick

• 1 month later...
Guest JAyliffe

Rick

I just deleted the VzAppZone:Temp:Temp stuff, I have been fighting this critical memory problem for two weeks.. <_<

Guest Somedude2
So, I registered especially to say the following, because it annoyed the cr*p out of me also.

check in your Opera > download folder

I had downloaded something of 32MB which obviously made the phone memory of 90MB spill the bucket, after an hour of entensiv searching trough the folders (because the file didn't appear when I did the search for files larger then 64kb) I found that this was my problem, also, I didn't have the phone for that long yet so when clearing the cache it gave me another 3.5MB..

hope this helps anybody

And I registered specifically to thank you for this post. This was very very helpful. It was bugging me like crazy. Thank you once again.

Guest tundrawolf

Hello,

The extremely small amount of program memory is keeping me from buying the Samsung Omnia.

There has to be a hack, or something out there that will allow you to use the storage memory too, isn't there?

Guest jctechcom

yep same problem here... how many Strorage memory fo you guys have left mine is 7Mb only T_T... I went to MyMobile>Windows Folder... hmmm I want to delete those music files there... maybe its the one we use for alarmclock?