ATT 3G vs Sprint CDMA

Guest kirkhayes

Guest kirkhayes

I use a Sprint Novatel Ovation U727 on my Macbook for internet. I was hoping that I could tether my blackjack to my macbook and then use the ATT 3G network and save myself some money. However, when I did speed comparisons (speakeasy.net/speedtest) the ATT 3G was peaked at 512 kbps about half of the Sprint U727 from the same location. (i.e. my coffee table)

Now, before I curse the ATT 3G ... is it possible that they are limiting the download speeds unless I actually sign up for the ATT "tethering" plan? Currently, I am just tethering on a pda unlimited plan, but I noticed ATT has a plan specifically for tethering.

More Viewsicon_glossary.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JamRWS6
I use a Sprint Novatel Ovation U727 on my Macbook for internet. I was hoping that I could tether my blackjack to my macbook and then use the ATT 3G network and save myself some money. However, when I did speed comparisons (speakeasy.net/speedtest) the ATT 3G was peaked at 512 kbps about half of the Sprint U727 from the same location. (i.e. my coffee table)

Now, before I curse the ATT 3G ... is it possible that they are limiting the download speeds unless I actually sign up for the ATT "tethering" plan? Currently, I am just tethering on a pda unlimited plan, but I noticed ATT has a plan specifically for tethering.

More Viewsicon_glossary.gif

It just depends on location for actual speed you will get. I've seen the 500K you saw and I've also seen 1.5MBPS before. Just depends on coverage. Doesn't matter if you are on the tethering plan or not.

Edited by JamRWS6