T-Mobile MDA Vario IV release date?

Guest vii_voo

Rumour is they're running out of cash & dont want people costing them money on their Quarter 4 earnings subsidising all these new funky handsets.

So call them up & get your £10 discounts :lol: (i went through to upgrades)

more detail about this here - apparently it is £15 discount for O2 subs:

http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/O2_and_T-Mobi...ype=&terms=

Seems like a really quick way for T-Mobile to lose all the customers they acquired in 2006 (like me) when they were the only network offering the best WMobile handsets, high subsidies and unlimited data tariffs.

I wonder if this is going to apply to the G1 as well, or whether they are saving up all their upgrade pennies to get everyone to take a G1

• 2 months later...
Guest kevr6384
Just spoke to t-mobile about my upgrade and apparently the vario 4 will be released on January 9th.

Not according to the T-Mobile lady i just spoke - still unknown

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

Browsing on T-mobile website yesterday.

http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/mobile-phon...io-iv/overview/

It's available - but very expensive; I'm on Flext 35 WnW currently with my Vario III; but possible upgrade to this - apart from the expensive handset price, may also mean that my Voicemail is not part of the inclusive minutes, from what I have read elsewhere.

Guest RickDawson

I noticed it on t-mobile's site, and yes it is expensive.

I only really use the data side of things.

I've long finished an 18month contract with t-mobile and awaiting an upgrade.

I need to have gps.

I'm not bothered about a keyboard, as the htc phone pad works fine for me.

Went into a Tmob shop in Sunday and they said they weren't selling many as they were so expensive. Also if I wanted to upgrade they would charge me full wack for the handset, partially because of the discount they gave me before christmas for not being able to upgrade :)

I've been offered quite a good deal from O2 for a touchpro so I think I'll be changing networks soon.

Guest RickDawson
Went into a Tmob shop in Sunday and they said they weren't selling many as they were so expensive. Also if I wanted to upgrade they would charge me full wack for the handset, partially because of the discount they gave me before christmas for not being able to upgrade :)

I've been offered quite a good deal from O2 for a touchpro so I think I'll be changing networks soon.

So what tariff have you got from O2 ?

So what tariff have you got from O2 ?

£35ish (vat change means its a random amount) a month for 600 mins and a load of texts (I send about 3 a month so I don't care) and internet bolt on for free and the handset for free if I take out the insurance (£7.50 a month) minimum of 3 months on the insurance - or the handset for £100 without the insurance. Seems reasonable to me

This is what I have been offered, I'm waiting at the mo because there is talk of redundencies at work.

Mind you my current Tmob bill is about £11 a month because I have a rather old half price line rental deal and a £5 month discount for not being able to upgrade. So I was expecting to pay more a month.

Also Tmob reception is crap where I live now and o2 is very good.

Guest UndeadDevil
PS . . . forgot to mention, it also says that "What's in the box" includes a 2GB Micro SD Card, but no mention of a spare stylus.

The 2GB microSD includes a 7 day trial of TomTom* Live, 1 spare stylus is included as well.

* Edit: I meant Co-Pilot above.

Edited by UndeadDevil

I'm in a similar situation to RickDawson, in that I mainly use it for data.

I'm on Flext20 with Web&Walk Plus which comes in at just over £26pm and I never go over my included mins/texts. I'm on month 26 of an 18 month contract so can upgrade at any time. I haven't done it yet as I was waiting for this or the Touch HD to come out.

I should also say, that I haven't called upgrades yet, as I'm still researching what the best deal for me will be.

So, looking at T's page for new customers, The entry level is now Flext 30 starting at £30pm including Web&Walk standard. Based on the old pricing, I'd have to add £5pm to increase that to Web&Walk Plus. So £35pm + £200 for the handset.

If I upgrade by just renewing my contract for another 18 months, they'll give me £5 off, taking my monthly bill down to £21. Therefore I'd be saving £252 (£14pm x 18 months) rental plus £200 for handset totalling £452 which I could put towards my own handset.

These are all just estimates, but on the face of it, buying a sim-free handset does appear to be the best option.

If anybody else has been in my position - what did you do? Did you call upgrades and what were you offered? I don't think I've got much bargaining power since I don't use the calls or text allowance, but I do need over a GB of data a month and be allowed to use it as a 'modem' which is why I've got 'plus'.

All advice greatfully received. Thanks.

Lee

Guest RickDawson

I'm on Flext20 with Web&Walk Plus which comes in at just over £26pm and I never go over my included mins/texts. I'm on month 26 of an 18 month contract so can upgrade at any time. I haven't done it yet as I was waiting for this or the Touch HD to come out.

I should also say, that I haven't called upgrades yet, as I'm still researching what the best deal for me will be.

So, looking at T's page for new customers, The entry level is now Flext 30 starting at £30pm including Web&Walk standard. Based on the old pricing, I'd have to add £5pm to increase that to Web&Walk Plus. So £35pm + £200 for the handset.

If I upgrade by just renewing my contract for another 18 months, they'll give me £5 off, taking my monthly bill down to £21. Therefore I'd be saving £252 (£14pm x 18 months) rental plus £200 for handset totalling £452 which I could put towards my own handset.

These are all just estimates, but on the face of it, buying a sim-free handset does appear to be the best option.

If anybody else has been in my position - what did you do? Did you call upgrades and what were you offered? I don't think I've got much bargaining power since I don't use the calls or text allowance, but I do need over a GB of data a month and be allowed to use it as a 'modem' which is why I've got 'plus'.

Lee

I'd like to know the answers / solutions / options available for this.

I went into my local t-mobile shop, and he said the best bet is to call t-mobile CS and ask.

Has anyone got / know of anything that we could possibly try and say to get a better deal?

Edited by RickDawson

I've had a Vario II for 2 years now, originally on an 18m contract. I was on a £35/m contract, which included WnW+ I only ever really used 10 - 20% of my call/text credit.

I just called up to ask for a MAC code, pretending I didn't know the phone was out on T-Mob yet. He asked the usual questions, I said I was paying too much for the amount I use the Vario II, and that my current phone is old hat and has been dropped too many times (which it has) - the loudspeaker and buttons don't always work.

So I let him ask me about which phones would interest me, I replied SE-X1, or the HTC Touch Pro. He advised that the Vario IV was avail, did I want to see what he could do for me on an upgrade...

So, I've upgraded. Another 18m contract on a 100minute+100text Combi 15 tarrif (which is enough for me). Still got WnW+, for £24.46/m. The phone itself will cost me £132.75 + £7 delivery, and he threw in an extra 4GB card (or a Bluetooth headset).

I thought that was pretty reasonable, given that on the site, on that tarrif, the phone should be > £300.

Hope this helps y'all !

Daz.

Update 5/2/09 - Got the phone, first impression are very good! To clarify, there was a 2gb card (with a 7-day trial of Co-Pilot on) and a stylus already in the phone, a spare stylus, screen protector and slip on case in the box and T-Mobile included an additional 4gb card as part of my upgrade.

Edited by dazp

• 2 weeks later...
Guest RickDawson

any updates to this?

anyone got one since posting on this thread?

i'm using an on-screen keyboard on my vario3 as it's so un-responsive.

need the upgrade.

any updates to this?

anyone got one since posting on this thread?

i'm using an on-screen keyboard on my vario3 as it's so un-responsive.

need the upgrade.

Don't do it!! I've just returned my second Vario 4 and fought to get a PAC. The Touch Pro seems good, but the Vario 4 is a disaster.

Why?

Well, for one thing, it ships with the caller ID registry key set to 12. UK numbers are not 12 digits long, so it doesn't recognise anyone that calls or texts you. Not a major problem, as it's easy to fix, but indicative.

On the two I've had, they have both frozen up when reaching full charge, unhelpful when charging them overnight and using them as an alarm clock. They have also both frozen up intermittently, during calls, and especially on making or trying to terminate calls on the first. The second was slightly different and appeared to suffer from ADHD. If you turned off push email, it appeared to get bored and claimed to have no signal within 5 minutes, needing a soft reset to get it going again. It also forgot all network settings this afternoon, necessitating a refresh from a Sprite backup to get it working again - this was also coupled with an inability to stay up for longer than 5 mins.

All in all, an otherwise *fantastic* phone seriously ruined by an incompetent conversion. Seriously, it's AWFUL!!!!!

Battery life is much much better than the Vario 2 or 3, the phone is really fast, and the sound quality is really good. Screen is great as well. I'm hoping to take advantage of all these plus points when I move to Vodafone next week.

Guest UndeadDevil

For gods sake, just FLASH IT!!!!!!!!!!!

We all know how bad the T-Mob UK ROM is, those with half a brain flashed within a couple of hours of getting it (I sure did because it kept crashing!)

Guest varioIII-lover

please help. upgrading this week from vario3 to something newer. i might get the touch pro or the touch HD, i want the qwerty so maybe the PRO, does it have the HD screen? i know it's 4x better screen than previously ..

or should i get google g1 phone .. or the vario4?

i want microsoft exchange push email. i like word mobile etc. i want a fast nice fone, no slowdowns like vario3. i want tomtom to work good on it.

thanks.

Guest UndeadDevil

You want the Touch Pro then. :( If you get the Vario 4 though, as said above, make sure you flash it to a Custom ROM when you get it though...

G1 lacks Exchange Support, TomTom, etc.

Screen is 640x480, just slightly less than the HD's screen. A brilliant screen imho.

Edited by UndeadDevil

Guest lozzd
You want the Touch Pro then. :( If you get the Vario 4 though, as said above, make sure you flash it to a Custom ROM when you get it though...

G1 lacks Exchange Support, TomTom, etc.

Screen is 640x480, just slightly less than the HD's screen. A brilliant screen imho.

What ROM's are you using? What are available? I've had some bad experiences with some down right crap and ugly custom ROMs so is the default HTC one available? I'm torn between this device (upgrading from my Vario III) and the G1 but as you say the lack of Exchange and TomTom puts me off.

Guest UndeadDevil

The original and new Official HTC Rom are available on xda-dev. I'm using ROMeOS² at the moment and have no experience with any others so far. Although this is a customized ROM and includes app's like QuickMenu (Decent Start Menu Replacement for all WM devices)

The G1 also lacks alot of app's and support at present although I'm sure this will change with the G2, G3, etc. I was personally disappointed to find it only runs Java App's instead of Native Code.

Also did you know that Google Android runs on the HTC Touch Pro, its not perfect yet but effectively gives you a Windows Mobile/Google Phone in one.

@All (For Reference)

All Official Rom's: http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index.php?p...hael_WM6.1_ROMs

Most Custom Rom's: http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index.php?p...oked_WM6.1_ROMs

Edited by UndeadDevil

• 4 months later...
Guest EddyM

Lee

What did you do in the end Lee? I am in EXACTLY the same situation right now, on Flext 20 with Web'n'Walk Plus, and I hardly use the minutes or texts either. Also way past the end of my 18 month contract. I've got an MDA Vario III at the moment, and I'd like to upgrade to the Vario IV (or even the newer one, the Touch Pro 2, except none of the networks that I'd be interested in seem to be doing it yet... if at all).

Although I'd kinda like to change back to O2 at this point anyway... the deal that simonc got sounds brilliant, way better than what seems to be available on the O2 site... but I'd never use that much, so even if I could get the same deal too, I'd still be paying quite a bit more than I do now and not using the extra :D

I guess getting the new phone for free might balance that out anyway though... but the XDA Serra doesn't even seem to be available on the O2 site now? ;)

But if I am gonna stay with T-Mobile... I didn't realise that I'd have to change to the new tariffs with the upgrade. If that is the case, as you mentioned, I'd be saving the same amount of money as you by just taking the extra £5 off. And I could get a SIM free HTC Touch Pro 2 for £453... pretty much exactly the amount I'd be saving anyway (considering the cost of the upgrade), and I'd be getting an even better phone. But that's only if I want to stay with T-Mobile :-\

Guest RickDawson

I went with the Touch HD porting my number from t-mobile to O2

best deal was from www.mobiles.co.uk (owned by carphone warehouse, still run seperately)