Verizon Wireless quietly shuts down SMS delivery confirmations

Guest tsutton

thumb_21-Sep-2008_verizon-logo-300x172.jpg
Verizon Wireless quietly shuts down SMS delivery confirmations

It seems that Verizon Wireless has been quietly shutting down the SMS delivery confirmations service for their customers in order to "save network traffic".

According to DSL Reports, Verizon Wireless has been quietly ending their SMS delivery confirmations. You know those quick icon changes (letter D or a green checkmark) that occur when your text message has been delivered to your recipient; well, they’re suddenly not working anymore. Discontinuation of the service reportedly started on September 9th on a regional basis and all regions should see the service gone by the end September. According to the word on the forums, the service was stopped in order to reduce network traffic.

I think this is a bit over the top. They should change it so customers can opt in/out for this service, and not ending it.

Do you miss the SMS delivery confirmations?

[Via: BoyGeniusReport]

Guest jchamier
Reduce network traffic? They have to be kidding!

Do they still charge to receive texts in the US?

I'm glad we have decent services in the UK!

Its Verizon, says it all. As far as I know, O2 still don't do delivery reports in the UK ?

Yes, all incoming (calls/sms/mms) is taken out of your contract, for calls that's why US contracts have so many included minutes (2000+) but I gather that SMS isn't. My US family told me not to text them, for this reason. (They're on AT&T). Someone I know on Verizon can receive texts from the UK, but can't reply, no + key on the keypad, and the system doesn't take international codes.

CDMA has only one advantage, larger cell sites per tower, than GSM.

Guest madferret

I'm visiting the US at the moment and bought myself a T-Mobile PAYG sim. They have just increased the charge for SMS (incoming AND outgoing) to 20 cents each from 10 out, 5 in. Rip off isn't the word. I've got voice calls at 10 cents a minute, so call instead of text where I can.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.