IE6 for Windows Mobile! Do you care?

Guest PPCInformer

Guest PPCInformer

By now you would have heard that WM7 is delayed...

Microsoft had to announce something to keep WM users happy so they are showing off IE6 for Windows Mobile 6. A free update is always good but with other free options like Opera and Skyfire ( Open beta in US, hopefully the rest of the world will get to use it soon ) does this news excite anyone ?

theunwired.net has got some pics of the browser in action. Trust me there is nothing to see there, if you are interested in this just jump on and have a look.

zzzz.. Wake me up when you have something to announce about Deepfish? Whatever happened to that project anyway?

Guest Sonicr360

Good Morning

Short answer: NO! Reason: With Opera Mini, it does everything I want.

I do not have the TYTN II just for Web Browsing; Even with the Opera Mini I rarely browse the web. For me, it is sometimes clumsy to use, regardless of how good it can be.

For emergency access, it has its uses.

But I certainly wont be interested in upgrading the browser.... why slowdown the TYTN II anymore than I have to, or store another program in ROM when it can be put to better use.

So... in summary... not really interested in what MS say, do or release. Not a fan of WM devices; Got the TYTN II to replace my XDA EXEC, which replaced my Laptop. Fact that it has GPS is really the only main reason I am using the TYTN II for now.

But for Browsing ... Opera Mini is great for "on the go" access, via Wi-Fi or 3G

Guest VulakAerr

I'm kind of interested but only because I can't get Opera to use Flash. Any tips? This might be a n00b question but I'll be damned if I can get Flash working on my Touch Pro. Feel free to tell me to ask about this in another forum.

It really does sound like an odd release, mind. o.O

Do I care? Hell yes. If they are saying that PIE6 will act like a full we browser, then it would be good.

But obviously need to have a play with it before deciding to use it or stay with Opera Mini.

I'd probably get the update just because it's there, but IE hardly gets any use on my diamond and the same was for Vario II.

Deepfish was quite interesting when the public beta was first released, but browsers have moved on sooo much since then. Both opera mobile and Mini are way ahead of it now, not to mention the other browsers (netfront, iris, etc). If IE6 is the best they can come up with i can't see them doing anything else with deepfish.

I dont particularly like Opera on my Omnia because it tends to just exit when viewing some sites so I mostly use PIE and very occasionally switch to Opera. Opera is also slower to load and there is still the quirkiness when selecting links so if PIE 6 is a decent upgrade over the current version with proper web support I will definitely be interested.

Guest madferret

Opera Mini is cr*p on the S730 - takes far too long to load up and is difficult to navigate. Anything that lets me get to 'proper' web pages instead of the cut down mobile versions forced on us by some sites isn't a bad thing.

In the meantime, I'm off to Skyfire. I'm in the US at the moment, so the download should work... ;)

Edited by madferret

Guest Menneisyys
By now you would have heard that WM7 is delayed...

Microsoft had to announce something to keep WM users happy so they are showing off IE6 for Windows Mobile 6. A free update is always good but with other free options like Opera and Skyfire ( Open beta in US, hopefully the rest of the world will get to use it soon ) does this news excite anyone ?

theunwired.net has got some pics of the browser in action. Trust me there is nothing to see there, if you are interested in this just jump on and have a look.

zzzz.. Wake me up when you have something to announce about Deepfish? Whatever happened to that project anyway?

Deepfish has officially been cancelled.

Guest Mysterious Stranger

Dead. Switched off end of September :-(

http://livelabs.com/blog/deepfish/deepfish...-must-be-going/

"Monday, August 18 2008 - Category: Deepfish

When Live Labs began working on Deepfish, we set out to prove our theory that there was an unmet demand for a better mobile browsing experience than what was available at the time we started the project in 2006. It wasn't our intent to create a full browser for the preview, but rather simply demonstrate that a novel and simple new user experience was the best way to achieve that. The positive reception and incredible demand for the Deepfish technical preview went a long way towards proving that. And now, thanks in part to Deepfish, many better alternatives are emerging.

Mobile browsing is now advancing to the point where mobile devices rival the desktop—which is what we wanted to see. User experience advances such as usable touch and intuitive zooming interfaces weren't widely available at the time. Deepfish helped drive that innovation. And now that the marketplace has caught up to where we thought it needed to go and continues to advance.

For our dedicated users still using the technical preview to this day, we are sorry to announce we will be retiring the proxy service on September 31, 2008. The Deepfish client will no longer function after that date as a result.

Thanks to all of those who enthusiastically supported Deepfish. We learned a lot from you, and we assure you that your feedback is influencing Microsoft's future products.

"

M.S

Guest Boinng

Couldn't care less, partly because I'm going to the Iphone shortly anyway, and partly because it's just nonsensical that they should be using IE6 as the basis for this - so much so I'm surprised they're being so public about it. I think they're badly underestimating their audience - the clued up people who want a better browser for WM expect something coded for the web in 2008, not some recycled throwback to 2001.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.