Opera crashes out on HTTPS secure websites

Guest tmohammad

Guest tmohammad

I have an MDA C4 on T-Mobile UK.

Whan I go into the browser and type in a https address (ie secure web page) opera closes down. Anyone else having this problem?

I go onto ebay OK then it dies when I try to login to my account.

Any views or fixes will be much appreciated ;)

Guest DonVincenzo

I was having similar issues on my Touch Pro. For me, the problem was caused by being passed through T-Mobile UK's proxy server. To disable the use of their proxy server:

1. Navigate to Settings, and then open the Connections tab at the bottom.

2. Click on Connections

3. Under 'T-Mobile Internet' (or whatever your operator is), choose 'Set up my proxy server'

4. Clear the checkbox next to 'This network uses a proxy server to connect to the Internet', and then close the settings windows

5. Try opening an https site again

Let me know if that resolved your issue!

Guest tmohammad

Thanks mate, that worked 100%.

By the way, what does the proxy server do? And why do T-Mobile set it in that restrictive way?

I dont know if its related, but I can use my MSN messenger too now. I tried a few times before but could not get to the logon screen!

Thanks again.

Edited by tmohammad

Guest DonVincenzo

Glad I could help.

tmohammad - I'm not quite sure exactly what role the proxy plays in T-Mobile's network...it may be used by them to cache some content to save on their international bandwith, but that is a complete guess. It obviously isn't working properly with the Diamond/Touch Pro though if it restricts access to any secure site!

Guest newtonmj

One of the fundamental design principles of HTTPS is that it provides a certain level of protection against 'man in the middle' attacks i.e. a 3rd party sitting between you and the destination server and intercepting/modifying the traffic between you.

A proxy is by definition a man in the middle hence the majority of proxies do not proxy HTTPS at all. Whilst some proxies are able to do so, by generating forged SSL certificates on the fly and presenting them to your client (which your client must be set to explicitly trust), this mode of operation is generally not used by ISPs as it usually provides them with no benefit - it tends not to speed browsing up or minimise off-net bandwidth as HTTPS sites are generally user-customised (i.e. the content you get is different from the content I get given there is usually some form of customer login element).

In this case it sounds like all requests, for both HTTP and HTTPS, are being sent to the proxy and it is only able to handle the former. I haven't looked at the proxy settings on the Diamond but does it not allow granular control over what is/isn't sent via the proxy?

Mathew

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Chimpanzee

Sorry to resurrect an old post but I just wanted to say thanks as well. I just got a Touch Pro today and couldn't get it to access emails or HTTPS sites. Turning off the proxy sorted it out, and seems to of speeded up my connection a bit to boot.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks from me as well!

Received my HTC Touch HD last week, and some websites were just crashing Opera. Realised the common link was HTTPS this morning, and this thread got everything going. Thanks again! B)