Ignito/Diamond keeps dropping wifi

Guest Rotellian

Guest Rotellian

My ignito (o2 branded diamond) keeps losing the wifi connection to my wireless router at home, it claims the key is incorrect, however i know this isn't true as I have reset it and it is correct. Occasionally it might hold a connection for a while but usually it will lose it after a 30 secs to a minute max and i have to re-enter the network key! (which brings me to another question - sometimes on the wifi setup screen i cannot scroll to the key entry box as the scroll bar is missing - ive discovered that i can alter volume level and then return to screen and its visible - this is most odd)

Anyone got any suggestions?

Guest estechco
My ignito (o2 branded diamond) keeps losing the wifi connection to my wireless router at home, it claims the key is incorrect, however i know this isn't true as I have reset it and it is correct. Occasionally it might hold a connection for a while but usually it will lose it after a 30 secs to a minute max and i have to re-enter the network key! (which brings me to another question - sometimes on the wifi setup screen i cannot scroll to the key entry box as the scroll bar is missing - ive discovered that i can alter volume level and then return to screen and its visible - this is most odd)

I don't know how plausible this is, but is it worth confirming whether the problem is with the phone or the WiFi router. I would be tempted to try and connect to another router (perhaps a friends?) and see whether this works. Is it possible your router is setup with very restrictive settings?

I, for example, have both an 11g and an 11n router at home (don't ask why, it's a long story). I have the 11n one setup to accept only 11n connections in an attempt to maximize speed and hence I cannot connect via my Diamond (without loosening up the config). I can use the 11g one quite happily however.

Guest Neil5459

1st thing to try is to go into Settings/Connections/Wireless LAN, then the Power Mode tab, and try putting the slider to fully Left (Max Performance). This often makes a connection more secure.

If that doesn't work, maybe check which Channel the router is using- try manually changing to another one and see if that helps.

If that fails, then it might be worth trying to change the security code and/or SSID on the router, deleting the connection in the Diamond adn allowing the Wizard to find the revised roiter settings?

A pain , I know but worth a try. My Diamond has absolutely no problems connecting to either of my home or office WLANs.

Not sure about the scroll bar on the setup screen- if the Wizard kicks in, then you should just get popups anyway. If the scrollbar is absent, have you tried 'dragging' the screen with your finger?

Guest Rotellian
I don't know how plausible this is, but is it worth confirming whether the problem is with the phone or the WiFi router. I would be tempted to try and connect to another router (perhaps a friends?) and see whether this works. Is it possible your router is setup with very restrictive settings?

I, for example, have both an 11g and an 11n router at home (don't ask why, it's a long story). I have the 11n one setup to accept only 11n connections in an attempt to maximize speed and hence I cannot connect via my Diamond (without loosening up the config). I can use the 11g one quite happily however.

Router is 802.11g only setup with WEP and not to broadcast SSID, no other restrictions, filtering. I connected to it last night for 20 mins no probs. This morning it wouldnt connect for more than 10 secs before prompting for the key again. Not impressed to be honest. Will have to find an alternative router to try i guess. (although it did seem OK when i tried the router open, but i obviously didnt leave it like this for long)

Guest Rotellian
1st thing to try is to go into Settings/Connections/Wireless LAN, then the Power Mode tab, and try putting the slider to fully Left (Max Performance). This often makes a connection more secure.

If that doesn't work, maybe check which Channel the router is using- try manually changing to another one and see if that helps.

If that fails, then it might be worth trying to change the security code and/or SSID on the router, deleting the connection in the Diamond adn allowing the Wizard to find the revised roiter settings?

A pain , I know but worth a try. My Diamond has absolutely no problems connecting to either of my home or office WLANs.

Not sure about the scroll bar on the setup screen- if the Wizard kicks in, then you should just get popups anyway. If the scrollbar is absent, have you tried 'dragging' the screen with your finger?

yep ive got the performance bar fully to the left for max performance. Ive changed the key and still no joy and recreated the connection. Ill have to try a different channel (although they're both on 11), cheers. Im just confused as to why its claiming the key is incorrect sometimes and not others, its like its forgetting the settings or something. Ive just checked and the connection is currently not listed in my diamond.

As for no scrollbar, tried dragging screen but no joy. Only thing that worked was to change the volume and then go back as it obviously forced a screen redraw of something like that. Really bizarre. To be honest so far im really not that impressed with the device and may just get rid.

Guest Neil5459

Can you try WPA rather than WEP? WM devices don't like WEP much as they are optimised for WPA or WPA2.

The scrollbar thing is strange. It could all suggest a faulty device- if all else fails get it replaced ASAP:)

Guest Rotellian
Can you try WPA rather than WEP? WM devices don't like WEP much as they are optimised for WPA or WPA2.

The scrollbar thing is strange. It could all suggest a faulty device- if all else fails get it replaced ASAP:)

Sorry i meant WPA! I will be getting a new Router tomorrow as i realy need a new one anyway, the old Linksys is getting bit long in the tooth and could be the source of the problem. If that doesnt work, ill have to think again about getting it replaced or just getting rid.

Cheers for your help. ;)

Guest andybarker

I've used my T-Mobile branded diamond on my home network (WPA) and office network (WEP) without any trouble at all. I would suspect either the router or the phone's firmware or possibly a hardware fault on your phone.

Guest Rotellian
I've used my T-Mobile branded diamond on my home network (WPA) and office network (WEP) without any trouble at all. I would suspect either the router or the phone's firmware or possibly a hardware fault on your phone.

Ill replace my router and report back. However be just my luck to get a faulty phone.

Guest bydandie
Sorry i meant WPA! I will be getting a new Router tomorrow as i realy need a new one anyway, the old Linksys is getting bit long in the tooth and could be the source of the problem. If that doesnt work, ill have to think again about getting it replaced or just getting rid.

Cheers for your help. ;)

One other thing I'd throw into the mix is to make sure that your passphrase is alphanumeric. Special characters can really cause issues in the WiFi world!

Guest estechco
One other thing I'd throw into the mix is to make sure that your passphrase is alphanumeric. Special characters can really cause issues in the WiFi world!

Another thing I've just discovered may be causing me problems (and I recall hearing somewhere else as well).

Are you using bluetooth as well as WiFi? I have been experimenting with a bluetooth device yesterday and today and notice that I had real problems keeping my connection alive to my router whilst this was active.

I think older devices are particularly sensitive to this. May be relevant?

Guest Rotellian
Another thing I've just discovered may be causing me problems (and I recall hearing somewhere else as well).

Are you using bluetooth as well as WiFi? I have been experimenting with a bluetooth device yesterday and today and notice that I had real problems keeping my connection alive to my router whilst this was active.

I think older devices are particularly sensitive to this. May be relevant?

Brief update. New router installed and active. Had some initial trouble with WPA/WPA2 but am now up and running, hold connection much better and doesnt prompt for key all the time. Obviously my old router was the issue. Still got scrollbar issue, but hiding the keyboard and then revealing it again seems to work so i guess its just a quirk that may be fixed in subsequent firmware updates. Cheers to everyone who has offered help and advice. ;)