How can I figure out what is filling up the "Storage" memory?

Guest MadSci

Guest MadSci

I should know this by now, but can anyone point me to a method or program that will identify what is being stored in the 'Storage Memory" of my BJII? I can't seem to end up with more than about 9Mb free, even though I have installed all but the smallest Apps to the Memory Card.

I didn't seem to have an issue until I had to Hard Reset and rebuild my system recently, although it might have crept in after the upgrade to WM 6.1 (which preceded the hard reset).

I've cleaned out all the cache of Internet Explorer, and also deleted and removed all the deleted emails. It's not anything hiding in the "My Documents" system folder or music folders, but there are too many to check manually. A program that presented the files and their sizes would be helpful as all get out!

Thanks

MadSci

Guest jmj 4 life
I should know this by now, but can anyone point me to a method or program that will identify what is being stored in the 'Storage Memory" of my BJII? I can't seem to end up with more than about 9Mb free, even though I have installed all but the smallest Apps to the Memory Card.

I didn't seem to have an issue until I had to Hard Reset and rebuild my system recently, although it might have crept in after the upgrade to WM 6.1 (which preceded the hard reset).

I've cleaned out all the cache of Internet Explorer, and also deleted and removed all the deleted emails. It's not anything hiding in the "My Documents" system folder or music folders, but there are too many to check manually. A program that presented the files and their sizes would be helpful as all get out!

Thanks

MadSci

I'm having the same problem! I looked everywhere and deleted what I could and only managed to have 13 Mb free. Any help would be great!

Guest Matchstick

Thanks

MadSci

Have you tried Mobile Monger ?

http://wss.boman.biz/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=7

It scans you drive and displays the relative size of files and folders on it as a TreeMap. And allows you to zoom in and show more detail on any areas that need closer inspection.

Great for spotting what's eating up all your space.

(Though does need the .NET Compact Framework 3.5 installing if you don't have it installed already).

Guest MadSci

It scans you drive and displays the relative size of files and folders on it as a TreeMap. And allows you to zoom in and show more detail on any areas that need closer inspection.

(Though does need the .NET Compact Framework 3.5 installing if you don't have it installed already).

Thanks! I'll give it a try and report back.

Either way, thanks very much for the help! ;)

MadSci

Guest MadSci

BINGO! :D

I installed CF 3.5 to my storage card, installed the Mobile Monger CAB file and ran it.

As expected, almost ALL of my 'Storage' memory was used up - after a soft reset , only 13.2 Mb remained of the 155Mb :wacko:

Memory Monger showed me the problem in an instant!

After upgrading to WM 6.1, I had manually re-installed my sound files (I really like funky, spoken word 'Ringtones' and notifications eg, when my Project Manager calls, Al Swearengin(DEADWOOD) says: "Announcing Your Plans is a Good way to hear God laugh!" - that Never gets old ;) )

A lot of these wav files need be be re-encoded to get their size down to something manageable.

But when I re-installed my sound files, I installed both the downsized files and the original monsters! :(

So I deleted the originals and Tah-Dah! I've got 78.3Mb free in Main Storage! ;)

Thanks a million Matchstick!!!

MadSci

Guest MadSci

and might I add, a great start for a 'Newbie' ;)

Guest jmj 4 life
and might I add, a great start for a 'Newbie' ;)

hey MadSci

do you think I can get that wav file of Al Swearengin?

would appreciate it

thanks

hey MadSci

do you think I can get that wav file of Al Swearengin?

would appreciate it

thanks

Sure! Send me a PM with your email and I'll zap it to you :lol: