Using Windows Remote Desktop Mobile with Win XP

Guest Lucavi

Guest Lucavi

Using Windows Remote Desktop Mobile with Win XP

A few folks were asking for this. It is easier than it looks, this guide is just really in depth- in my opinion.

First, a few prerequisites.

1)

Requires Windows XP Professional. However, if you have Windows Home you are not out of luck. You will have to "morph" it into Professional Edition and install and enable Remote Desktop Guide at http://www.mydigitallife.info/. Search for Remote Desktop. It's fairly simple. Create a system restore point before starting that guide, in case you mess up. I think they have a Vista Guide for using remote desktop as well. As I only have XP that will not be covered in this thread.

2)

You have to set a password for your the User you would like to login to with your phone. Password cannot be blank. (Control panel, users accounts, create a password)

3)

You must connect to a desktop computer on your local network, via WiFi on the Omnia. I haven't had a chance to try this via GPRS or a global network (ie a friends house). In theory this will work, but you'll have to use your global IP address to connect and set up port forwarding on your wireless router, assuming you have one. We'll get to that later.

4)

If you using windows firewall, make sure it allows exceptions. In control panel click the windows firewall icon, uncheck "Don't allow exceptions", click the exceptions tab and check the box by Remote Desktop. Most other firewall programs should already allow Remote Desktop.

5)

The desktop must be on, and connected to your local network

Guide time:

1. If you actually have WinXP Pro right click on the My comuter icon and click properties. Click on the Remote Tab. Click the check box for " Allow users...", Click apply and ok.

image0111101823126610.jpg

If you don't see the Remote Desktop section, then you have XP home edition and need to read the instructions at the top. .

If you don't see the Remote Tab at all, then you changed WinXP home to pro. High Five!

2. Install Windows Remote Desktop on your Mobile, to the Device area. (If you install it to the storage area, the keyboard will not work while you're connected to your desktop)

Get it from this thread /pauls-must-have-free-i900-omnia-software/, third to last. Or here if that one doesn't work for some reason.

3. After installing open the program from the program menu on the mobile. The icon is a little Monitor with a satellite dish next to it.

4. The Windows Desktop Remote program is very basic. It shows Status : Not Connected and 4 blank boxes. This is what I put in them to get this to work, Careful with those automatic spaces after words!

Computer: The LOCAL ip address of the desktop computer you are trying to access. (Usually 192.168.#.#- the last 2 digits are specific to your computer.)

To find this double click on the Network connection icon in the system tray,click the support tab. Or open your router's control panel, find the area that shows you the Attached Devices and copy down the number under IP.

User name: This is the user name that you setup in Winxp of the user you want to access.

Password: This is the password for that same user name. YOU MUST USE A PASSWORD. IF YOU DON'T HAVE ONE, SET ONE UP ON YOUR DESKTOP OR IT WILL NOT CONNECT.

See above.

Domain: Leave it blank

5. Disconnect from GPRS, and connect to your wifi network.

Click connect at bottom left.

Ta-da!

You should see a small rectangle of your desktop on you're mobile.

Have fun moving all your icons back when you use your desktop again. Here's a hack to help you keep those icons where you want them, free: http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-t...-in-windows-xp/

Note that it will automatically log off the logged on user that you login with via the mobile ;) . If you log in as different user with the mobile, it will bring up a dialog box asking if you want to boot off the other connected users. If you don't hit yes quickly, the Mobile will disconnect. After hitting yes a d dialog box will open on the desktop asking them if its ok for them to get logged out. If they don't click yes then you get disconnected. In other words- log on to the user name you want while no other users are logged on.

It also seems to timeout after 10 mins. Anyone know how to fix that?

Edited by Lucavi