.Cab question and gps help

Guest Blowkane

Guest Blowkane

i keep putting cab files into my phone such as microsoft gpsid, but then when i look on my actual phone to install the .cab, i can't find them anywhere.

are .cabs not compatible with 6.1? and if they are, please tell me the correct way to install them.

also, about gps

can i use google maps without a data connection? using the phones internal gps?

thanks

Guest john redcorn

Cabs are hidden from view if you try to find them with the "my stuff" explorer thing. You need to start "file explorer" from start - applications to see cabs. (or a 3rd party file explorer, I like resco)

and google maps always wants a data connection. I guess theoretically you could stuff its cache somehow from a pc with your cities maps but I dunno.

If you want to play around with gps without data and for free you can get gpsvp just search for gpsvp on google. you'll need gpstest and the com4 hack to make it work.

Gpsvp is more of a outdoor sports type gps app, not a driving one. you can put google/ms/openstreetmap/garmin maps on it, it needs a data connection to do this, or you can load at least garmin maps from a pc.

Maps on gps vp are just a background image for you the user to see, it will show you exactly where you are on the map but the program knows nothing about them, it doesn't know if you're on a street or in a pond or anything and cant give you any directions to anywhere other than a straight line pointing at a lat/long waypoint.

Garmin mobile xt (costs money) is supposed to be just like a gps you'd see in a car with voice guided "turn right in point 5 mile" type stuff, I've never tried it though.

Edited by john redcorn