Dumb questions from a Newb!

Guest Roujinz

Guest Roujinz

Ok this is going to sound like a really dumb question but here it is anyways -

I have been reading throughout the forums about using GoogleMaps GPS, Live Search and other "data using" programs that can be installed on a BJII with WM6.1 upgrade. I also read a thread about using the Rogers network for MMS and other things. Unfortunately it is a bit confusing to me given that I am such a newb!

I am wondering if there is a way to use GPS without having a data plan or having to pay-per-use. I cant afford a data plan other than text messaging but would love to use GPS or IM or other apps that require a normal data plan.

Is there a way to reconfigure the Proxy and GPRS settings so that I can have a limited use of GPS and other apps without worrying about getting charged for data usage? Sort of like using a laptop at open "hot spots".

Oh and what exactly does Internet Connection Sharing do? Is it for sharing an internet connection from a PC with a BJ so that you can surf the web using the BJ, or is it sharing a BJ's internet connection with a PC?

I few things that I have done is APP UNLOCK my phone so I can modify the registry, reconfigured my MediaNet and CV buttons, unlocked the "read only" for GPRS and Proxy settings, modified my Start Menu and allow large ringtones. This of course was all done by following the excellent instructions I have found in various threads. Kudos to the providers of that info! ;)

Please excuse my ignorance in advance about the data usage issue and thank you for helping clear things up so that I can understand what applies to my BJII.

-r

Guest Neil5459

You are unfortunate in that the BJII is non-touchscreen, and doesn't have WiFi so your GPS options are limited to commercial packages (though few support Smartphones) or using data with GoogleMaps, or the supplied TeleNav system

Tracky would be an option but it's only for Touchscreen devices ;)

There is no such concept as proxy connections for GPS so any map data you require must be downloaded from the supplier at the normal data cost. The GPS receiver only obtains the positioning signals, and is free of charge.

ICS on the mobile allows you to use the mobile's data connection to access data using a connected PC- expensive! ICS on the PC would allow the mobile to use the PC's internet connection.

Guest Roujinz

Yeah I wish it did have touchscreen and wifi but I guess I cant have it all!! ;)

Thanks for clearing that up a bit.

I did more searching on the forums and I found that there are some free GPS programs. I am gonna download and try out to see if they work or not.

My only other questions I have is:

I installed the GPS unlocker, but how can I tell if my my phone is actually picking up a GPS signal from the satellites?

I had an old Nextel phone that I could simply open a menu and it would show me how many satellites I am picking up and what my coordinates are, but I cant seem to find something that does the same thing on my BJII.

Am I just missing something??

Thanks for your help!

***EDIT: NEVERMIND!! Since this is the first time I am trying to use my GPS on my phone it just needed some time to get a fix on the satellites. I also found that TerraCrosser is a great GPS program that is easy to use and best of all it is FREE! www.terracrosser.com

Edited by Roujinz

Guest kramirez06

I am a newb at this also...I haven't even done the app unlock...can you help me out and tell me where I could find the excellent directions on how to do it?? please!! thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Roujinz
I am a newb at this also...I haven't even done the app unlock...can you help me out and tell me where I could find the excellent directions on how to do it?? please!! thanks!

I found a lot of the answer to my questions by searching the forums here and over at myblackjack2.com

MyBJ2 site has very detailed instructions on how to install apps and hacks and mods for your phone, most of which work with WM 6.1.

Head over there and take a look around and hopefully you'll find most of your answers as well as apps for your BJ2.

Good luck!