TMC

Guest osuijk

Guest Geronymous
Referring back to post 5 on page 1.

I read somewhere that TMC DOES work on the Omnia using iGo 8.0.5400 version only.

This is what the guy said in various posts

- Samsung Omnia uses the SiliconLab TMC. (yes, iGo does detect this chip)

- TMC works good on my Omnia with iGO8.0.5400 (in later iGo versions this detection is removed).

- TMC service must be available in your country, then you can automatically tune radio stations frequencies that have this kind of transmission.

So question being reasked - can some one here who has free TMC service in their country (a few West Euro countries do), please test this and confirm one way or other ? I can make available a working evaluation copy of the iGo version for test purposes.

Thanks

Same here as previous poster... I do have version 8.0.0.54000, and after plugging in the headphones and going to the TMC settings, it was able to detect some hardware after a while (don't know exactly which one). Then it detected a port, and moved to the TMC Station Settings (how to get back to the TMC hardware configuration?). Somewhere in the process it asked for permission to install a DLL.

So far so good... but then the MHz stay at 0.0, with or without using Auto-tuner... I know that here in the Netherlands there are many TMC stations, as I see them on the radio in my car... :) :D :)

bobobird... can you point us at the postings you found from the guy who has it working apparently?

Guest bobobird

Protocol is SiliconLab and it will attach to the same com port as the GPS.

Though I dont have tmc service here, igo 8.0.54... will detect the tmc and then stay at 0.0 which is expected.

Geronymous - check your pm in a few minutes.

sztupy and others - so I guess we should assume the guy simply just detected it like we did but has not actually used it. Some people on the net tend to exaggerate so could be that.

Edit : just checked back to where I read this - just a few posts earlier to the "its working" same guy was saying "it wasnt working and asking for help" - guess he was just passing on what little he know.

Lets close this then and wait for BeamRider

Edited by bobobird

Guest Geronymous
Protocol is SiliconLab and it will attach to the same com port as the GPS.

Though I dont have tmc service here, igo 8.0.54... will detect the tmc and then stay at 0.0 which is expected.

Geronymous - check your pm in a few minutes.

sztupy and others - so I guess we should assume the guy simply just detected it like we did but has not actually used it. Some people on the net tend to exaggerate so could be that.

Edit : just checked back to where I read this - just a few posts earlier to the "its working" same guy was saying "it wasnt working and asking for help" - guess he was just passing on what little he know.

Lets close this then and wait for BeamRider

Ok... :) :D :)

EDIT: even though... maybe the guy was asking for help because he lost the TMC functionality when he upgraded from 8.0.0 to 8.3.1 or 8.3.2???

Edited by Geronymous

Guest bobobird
Ok... :) :D :)

EDIT: even though... maybe the guy was asking for help because he lost the TMC functionality when he upgraded from 8.0.0 to 8.3.1 or 8.3.2???

good point.... will see if i can get hold of him again

Guest qwertztmc

Hello,

I tried to select the SiliconLab TMC in Igo8.3.2 but it is completly removed.

I couldn't find it for manual selection and my auto detection couldn't find it, too. Is there maybe a file that adds the SiliconLab TMC to the manual selection option? Maybe a file from the older Igo versions?

Best Regards

qwertz

Hello,

I tried to select the SiliconLab TMC in Igo8.3.2 but it is completly removed.

I couldn't find it for manual selection and my auto detection couldn't find it, too. Is there maybe a file that adds the SiliconLab TMC to the manual selection option? Maybe a file from the older Igo versions?

Best Regards

qwertz

According to some rumors in the naviextras forum the iGo 8.3.xxx series will be made omnia compatible in February. Maybe then...

Guest bobobird

The guy replied like this

hello mate

i 'm so sorry tellling you i cant make any test now

the country where i'm now dont have tmc transmiter yet

but one of my friends tested it into another countries.

i can only recommand you to try it with handsfree

So back to where we started hehe.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest qwertztmc
According to some rumors in the naviextras forum the iGo 8.3.xxx series will be made omnia compatible in February. Maybe then...

On the IGo website is the Omnia (sgh-i900) now under "Supported Devices" listed (Igo-Website). Are there any news that TMC is working now?

Best Regards

qwertz

Edited by qwertztmc

Any more news on this? Does IGO support TMC on the Omnia? I am thinking about buying it but no point if I can't get traffic... and my tomtom sub has now ran out as well and don't really want to pay for another year

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cheoppy

Hi BeamRider,

What about sharing the code you managed to write so someone (maybe me or someone else) could have the chance to continue the development?

In my country there is TMC service and I have a legal iGo8, so it'd be very useful to have TMC working on it.

Guest BeamRider

Hi there, here I am again ... sorry for the silence, but I just recovered from a bike accidend. Now I'm fine and I can start working on the driver again.

Guest paullong
Hi there, here I am again ... sorry for the silence, but I just recovered from a bike accidend. Now I'm fine and I can start working on the driver again.

Sorry to hear about your accident Beamrider. Hope you're OK now!

Great news about the driver though - there's a light at the end of the tunnel again! I can get excited again now.

Guest buyukbang

Sorry for the bad news and welcome back.

In fact I'll not use TMC, but after reading your messages listed here, I felt this shoul be a finalized work to prove Omnia's capabilities. I really hopeless about the TMC project after your long silence and now so happy to see you again. Let's finish this :(

Guest hitec4ever

Beamrider good to see you back

Hope youre recovering goed well

Keep up the good work and feel the support from all of us :(

Guest BeamRider

Thank you all ... time to talk about the driver. I started from "almost" scratch in the hope that newer firmware were updated with additional functionalities. I used HJ3 dirver and compared with the old HH9 I was using.

Guess what?

On my first (and fast) look I noticed the driver has been updated: a binary inspection shown revision moved from v001J2 to v001L1.

Guest bobobird
Thank you all ... time to talk about the driver. I started from "almost" scratch in the hope that newer firmware were updated with additional functionalities. I used HJ3 dirver and compared with the old HH9 I was using.

Guess what?

On my first (and fast) look I noticed the driver has been updated: a binary inspection shown revision moved from v001J2 to v001L1.

Perhaps take a look also at the latest IA5 drivers ??

Guest bobobird
Done ... IA5 has the same fm radio driver of HJ3. :(

Excellent! Hope it remains at a fixed level until you finish the re-engineering.

I was a bit worried that newer roms will have newer drivers and you would be forced to waste time going through these at the expense of your development efforts.

Guest BeamRider
Excellent! Hope it remains at a fixed level until you finish the re-engineering.

I was a bit worried that newer roms will have newer drivers and you would be forced to waste time going through these at the expense of your development efforts.

I'm changing my mind about Samsung and their developer relations (anyway I bought Samusung and I will continue because I'm happy with the device). I noticed that they opened a public developer program with free access SDK and forum ... there's still nothing about FM Radio but I wrote a thread and they are answering (non-technical atm)! Very good, maybe we will find an official way (hopefully Samsung supported) to speed up things.

Other way in progress anyway ... one way or another we will have access to the data.

Guest bawdiest
Hi BeamRider,

What about sharing the code you managed to write so someone (maybe me or someone else) could have the chance to continue the development?

In my country there is TMC service and I have a legal iGo8, so it'd be very useful to have TMC working on it.

I think BeamRider has nothing to share and there is no progress. The only thing we sow here for months are messages, that he is working on that, without any result, screenshots, source code etc.

If it is so difficult, why not to distribute the source code to other users to get some help?

Guest BeamRider
I think BeamRider has nothing to share and there is no progress. The only thing we sow here for months are messages, that he is working on that, without any result, screenshots, source code etc.

If it is so difficult, why not to distribute the source code to other users to get some help?

There's a simple answer to that: my sorce code is made of around 50 lines of effective code (something more) that I'm quit shy to share: you can take any WM driver and DLL calling C++ examples and you have it on your hands. You can find any part needed for this project freely available on the internet: from driver skeleton to virtual serial ports drivers. The point is gaining know-how on the platform.

I can't distribute the disassembled driver source code for obivious reasons, but you can just extract it by yourself with appropriate tools. In fact, reverse engineering the driver is not exactly legal. What is exactly legal is to write it from scratch and I don't have access to required documentation to do this unless I gain expertise looking at what already exists.

I can describe the disassemble process to anybody interested and with sufficient capabilities to do that, anyway, I think that an expert developer doesn't need any advice from me to perform such a simple task. Anyway someone is interested, just leave me a PM.

What takes a very long time, beside ASM interpretation (and I am not an hacker, I am a developer that's quite different!!) is the fact that kernel mode drivers are not debuggable with common tools unless you replace the kernel. Leading on a try-and-prey approach B) I take advices as gold on this ...

You can also read the discussion I had on Samusung Innovation board, where I can't say that I'm disassembling their driver but using my nickname. You will also find some very old posts by me regarding TMC on other boards ... that's demostrating anything else that I am committed to this technology!

Anyway, your choice to belive or not ... I think that just sharing ideas is stimulating in a community, the alternative is leaving things as they are or waiting someone better than me on this (there're a lot of very good around here :( )

I will keep my line on this project, putting the effort I can (without hitting my life) and keeping you informed of the news.