TMC

Guest osuijk

Guest BeamRider
BeamRider

I think I know the Country where you are B)

I'm sure you know that basically there are two providers, one free (RAI) and the second one Premium (InfoBlu, using RTL at 102.5).

The Premium data (the most comprehensive and reliable) are encoded (being subscription based) and you need to decode them before being usable by any navigation program...

Similar situation in other Countries like in France, Finland, Germany and Australia. UK have only a Premium service (no free ones)

Yes, I used (many years ago) to rely on RTL but nowadays RAI is working pretty well. If you take a close look to my screenshots you'll find both signatures. In fact, the one I am using with iGO is RAI while I used RTL only on my eariest tests with DecoRDS (where I was focused on RDS).

I don't want to enter the matter of Premium service, but my opinion is that it's absolutely crazy and I hope that RAI will not follow the example ...

Guest paullong
UK have only a Premium service (no free ones)

DOH! Does that mean that I wont be able to use this in the UK? What a shame. Does anyone know a way round this? I don't mind paying, just want it to work!

Thanks all (especially Beamrider who is doing an awesome job).

Guest nicknova
Well I don't really have a wiring scheme but I can post you the connector pinout ... that's enough to build any hub, connector or whatever else you could have in mind B) :

For the antenna just use pin 1 and 2, put any connector you like (but coax cable + car FM female connector is the best choice if you plan to use in car) or just plug in a FM antenna to the pins.

For charging the battery you have two opportunities: use wall plug method or USB. Remember that if you choose USB method you'll need an USB host (not just the two poer lines connected) on the other end, otherwise i900 will not charge and you'll drain the battery instead. The explanation is pretty simple: USB specifications involve a protocol to negotiate device (i900) power requirements. If this handshake is not performed, i900 doesn't charge from USB.

The bad news for me is that I can't hack the two cables I bought ... and then still looking for spare connectors. I wouldn't want to buy an expensive hub just to dismantle it :(

hint: try searching the web for the "sgh-i900 service manual" (you "may" have luck and find some useful info on it). Lokk also for the i780 that gives some more details on charging circuit.

Thanks a lot for the info :(

But the question is, that if it could be possible to built a 2 in 1 connector with the FM antenna and power supply pinout to connect directly on Omnia's slot. Don't know if there is any Samsung type connector in the market to built your own pinout.

Guest marco007

I think that is necessary, first of all, to thanks BeamRider for his hard work; then I think that in this thread there are two kind of problems that, maybe, it is better to separate:

1) driver

2) cable

For what concern the first one, I don't understood if the driver works and if it could be used, maybe just for testing purpose...

For the second one, it is really necessary a cable or it could be possibile to use the earphone one in order to have the antenna? Maybe, it could be possible to "open" such cable (perhaps by buying another one) in order to have an antenna that can be connected to the car one. Furthermore I remember that there are connectors for the omnia that can be used in the "middle" between the phone and the earphone one in order to recharge the battery while earing the music.

Guest BeamRider
Thanks a lot for the info :(

But the question is, that if it could be possible to built a 2 in 1 connector with the FM antenna and power supply pinout to connect directly on Omnia's slot. Don't know if there is any Samsung type connector in the market to built your own pinout.

OK I had a close look to the connectors I have and appears that the original wall adaptor is the right one (it was under my eyes every day!!!). It has 4 metallic pins:

II II .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. II II (II= pin , ..=empty space)

.1 .2 .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. 19 20

Where, form the list : 1=ANT 2=GND 19,20=VEXT_5V

It's quite probable that my car charger has the same layout ... so: open the charger connector, remove the bridge (if present) from pin 1 and 2, solder two wires to 1 and 2 and take them out of the original connector assembly. Piece of cake! B) :(

Ok news about TMC:

I still haven't sorted out the GNS protocol problem, but using it with TT+DecoRDS will work. Is there someone who knows if latest TT are TMC aware without DecoRDS support?? Appears that they have removed direct TMC support from mobile versions (marketing?) ...

The fact that GNS is not fully working with iGO leaving us to the need of manual tuning (due to this unknown command) lead me to the decision of implement something else too. Realtek protocol information is available here and there but there are still big holes making it not the most interesting candidate. OpenTMC (V1, V2 and its close cousin from Amaryllo) is very well explained. I (not fully) implemented it last night but I have the need to pass iGO recognition before looking at details (and advanced tuning/filetring features).

CALL: if there's someone that has or has experience with OpenTMC V2, I would like to have a log or a hint on the implementation of a pair of commands replies such as RST and V. A complete run log would be brilliant and would speed up things a lot. I am trying different combinations in these days, but guys, I have also a motorbyke (right now it's more a motorbyte ... oh, well ... a motorbit :D ) to fix :( :(

Continues .. :D

Edited by BeamRider

Guest lostunsunghero

is there a complete howto guide on this issue? im a bit of a noob and i havnt seen anything resembling one on the pages of this thread, or perhaps i missed it?

anyway a howto on getting the tmc working for igo on the omnia would be great

cheers

Guest BeamRider
is there a complete howto guide on this issue? im a bit of a noob and i havnt seen anything resembling one on the pages of this thread, or perhaps i missed it?

anyway a howto on getting the tmc working for igo on the omnia would be great

cheers

Omnia does not support TMC by itself, so, an howto is not sufficient. The software I am writing adds TMC capabilities to i900, but it's in an early stage.

There's nothing publically released at the moment, anyway, (closed group) alpha testing has started and it will not take long to first public release.

Alpha testing means that the whole thing is not stable, buggy/incomplete and could cause device crashes. I would like to have WM/Omnia technical skilled testers, ready to take extreme measures (up to an unlikely hard reset B)) to bypass problems, and I expect usage/problems reports. Best, but not required, with C/C++ programming skills!

To anybody interested in applying for testing, please leave me a PM.

Cheers

Guest vveljk
I'm changing my mind about Samsung and their developer relations (anyway I bought Samusung and I will continue because I'm happy with the device). I noticed that they opened a public developer program with free access SDK and forum ... there's still nothing about FM Radio but I wrote a thread and they are answering (non-technical atm)! Very good, maybe we will find an official way (hopefully Samsung supported) to speed up things.

Other way in progress anyway ... one way or another we will have access to the data.

Hi BeamRider,

First thank you for all the work you are doing.

I noticed you wrote in the post that they opened developer's forum for OMNIA.

Can you please tell me which forum is that?

There is also one bug that could be fixed in OMNIA.

I think lots of OMNIA users would be happy to have that fixed.

The problem is following.

When I use OMNIA (firmware is DXIA5 from taril) in combination with my bluetooth car kit, it is waking up from stand-by mode all the time. This drains battery in 2-3 hours. When I bought the phone (ROM version was XXHH9) this was working without any problems. I know that this bluetooth car-kit is checking mobile signal strength and that is why it is awaken from stand-by mode. It would be good to have some application which would not allow phone to go to stand-by mode, but would be able just to turn off the screen (Pocket player has this function). This still drains battery, but much much slower, since at least screen stays off.

I would be very thankfull if you have a sollution for this problem.

Lots of people are sending back OMNIAs since they can not use them in cars.

Thank you once more and best regards,

VV

Guest BeamRider
I noticed you wrote in the post that they opened developer's forum for OMNIA.

Can you please tell me which forum is that?

http://innovator.samsungmobile.com

They have a SDK for some Omnia functions on the Win Mobile section and a ddevelopers forum, but nothing I saw strictly related to your problem: they are giving infos on devices not on the updates/fixing of the firmware.

There is also one bug that could be fixed in OMNIA.

My knowledge on Omnia is quite vertical, but I have a stupid question: have you tried to use S2U configuring the blank screen only instead of powering off?

Maybe we should move on another topic because we are going OT.

Guest lostunsunghero

hi beamrider thanks for the reply,

if you need an alpha tester for the bugs i could do it as i have a spare omnia which i havnt sold yet (as long as the code doesnt completely brick the phone i will be happy to try it out on the spare phone before i sell it off).

anyway keep doing what your doing and i hope beta testing starts soon!

(oh also am i understanding this right, your trying to use the radio reciever in the omnia (headphones) to recieve rds transmissions which you will then decode to tmc via your code and have it work for the gps system on the phone? if so how would one charge the phone whilst using the antenna? because samsung being clever as they are havnt got the whole multiple jacks in 1 socket thing going on like the old sony erricsson. my point being i will only ever need tmc on a long journey thus needing my phone not to die half way through)

cheers again

Guest spiritolibero17

Ciao Beamrider, i miei più sinceri ringraziamenti e complimenti per il fantastico lavoro che stai portando avanti.

In bocca al lupo!

Marco

Guest vveljk
http://innovator.samsungmobile.com

They have a SDK for some Omnia functions on the Win Mobile section and a ddevelopers forum, but nothing I saw strictly related to your problem: they are giving infos on devices not on the updates/fixing of the firmware.

My knowledge on Omnia is quite vertical, but I have a stupid question: have you tried to use S2U configuring the blank screen only instead of powering off?

Maybe we should move on another topic because we are going OT.

Hi BeamRider,

Thank you for good idea.

Haven't tryed yet, but might be a good sollution.

Wont ask anymore if it is not concerning the TMC B)

Thank you once more.

Guest BeamRider
Hi BeamRider,

Thank you for good idea.

Haven't tryed yet, but might be a good sollution.

Wont ask anymore if it is not concerning the TMC :(

Thank you once more.

Wasn't my intention to push you away from this thread ... just, if you have problem concerning BT or anything else that is not TMC, a new thread is much more visible ... as you can see I'm of a little help on this case :(

Here is a small report of the testing activity:

OmniaTMC is progressing thanks to the effort put by the testers. We found (and fixed) some problems but still getting installation issues on some devices, nothing to be worried about.

• Low lever driver works very well, no one reported problems with it;
  • virtual serial has still some problems with installation and protocol implementation but getting better day by day (last night I've completely rewritten some methods due to an issue with iGo 8.3.2), between tonight and tomorrow I will tune the autotune strategy and the buffering strategy;
  • testing tool has a new and improved interface;
  • documentation grows ... a little (you know, developers are lazy about documentation B) )

Guest BeamRider

Yes, preparing to going to public beta :excl:

We had 3 drops on the alpha testing (the last one released yesterday) and, since the second one, the whole thing is working on testers mobiles without significant issues. The last drop improved performance, protocol handling and has a semi-automatic installation (cab + configuration tool).

I planned another alpha just to reserve some time in case of malfunctions and to revise the included document before the public release.

Hopefully I will get all green lights from testers and you could expect to see it by the end of next week . Not promising, but since nobody is chasing me with a frozen mobile ... :excl:

I would like to create a video to show how is working, any advice on how to record it?

Guest DAlma
Yes, preparing to going to public beta :excl:

We had 3 drops on the alpha testing (the last one released yesterday) and, since the second one, the whole thing is working on testers mobiles without significant issues. The last drop improved performance, protocol handling and has a semi-automatic installation (cab + configuration tool).

I planned another alpha just to reserve some time in case of malfunctions and to revise the included document before the public release.

Hopefully I will get all green lights from testers and you could expect to see it by the end of next week . Not promising, but since nobody is chasing me with a frozen mobile ... :excl:

I would like to create a video to show how is working, any advice on how to record it?

Great news!!! respect....Have you already thought about be donated? I think you should offer us the possibility to honor your great work. I am looking forward to the public beta :-)

Guest cheoppy

Hello,

Are there any news on the public beta? Or maybe on a private beta? I might be willing to test even the alpha version, if I don't have to hard reset my phone, because now I don't have time to reinstall all the programs to it.

Guest BeamRider
Hello,

Are there any news on the public beta? Or maybe on a private beta? I might be willing to test even the alpha version, if I don't have to hard reset my phone, because now I don't have time to reinstall all the programs to it.

I'm just testing the latest build that should become the public beta during this weekend. You don't have to hard reset the device unless you will encounter severe booting problems, but don't worry: nobody has experiened such a problem since the alpha testing started.

In any case (and a very good practice) you don't have to reinstall all: just perform a device backup before installing the package by using SPB backup or similar solutions (leave the backup file on "My Storage"). If you need to hard reset, you can restore your mobile in a minute.

Good news also for italian users: the letest iGo version (8.3.2.xxxx) decodes RTL102.5 TMC. After some days of usage, I found RTL TMC far better than RAI's.

Guest cheoppy
I'm just testing the latest build that should become the public beta during this weekend. You don't have to hard reset the device unless you will encounter severe booting problems, but don't worry: nobody has experiened such a problem since the alpha testing started.

In any case (and a very good practice) you don't have to reinstall all: just perform a device backup before installing the package by using SPB backup or similar solutions (leave the backup file on "My Storage"). If you need to hard reset, you can restore your mobile in a minute.

Good news also for italian users: the letest iGo version (8.3.2.xxxx) decodes RTL102.5 TMC. After some days of usage, I found RTL TMC far better than RAI's.

I can hardly wait to try it in the everyday travels. :excl:

Guest marco007

Uao... looks really great... I am planning to install the new official rom in my phone so... no mind for a possible hard reset while I will have to do another one.

Good work

Guest Dean123

I assume you're tapping into a i900 specific driver/api? So there's no possibility of this working on another device with FM radio. So, I'm wondering if it would be particularly hard to port your program/drivers to other devices. I'm assuming that most of the hard work will be done already, it's just a case of find the correct hooks.

Guest flywhc

Just realized that I also have an account in MoDaCo for long time...

Dean123, in xda developers forum, we are doing same thing for HTC devices such as HTC Diamond, Touch Pro etc.

Good job BeamRider! And thanks for you help on xda.

Dean123's post make me thinking, if we define a unified FM-RDS interface for windows mobile, we can reuse a generic TMC driver.

What you are doing is exact same as beemerTPPC now. Why should we waste of time doing same thing?

Wouldn't be nice you work on RoyalTek and beemerTPPC work on OpenTMC?

This 2 layers design will simplify supporting new devices other than Samsung Omnia and HTC, and also provide more solutions on different TMC protocols and various FM RDS TMC applications.

It is pity that Microsoft doesn't define FM radio interface. So we can define one!

attachment.php?attachmentid=179287&stc=1&d=1240443443

click here if cannot see above image

What do you think BeamRider?

I have published the API for HTC on the thread in xda-developers.

Can you share interface for Omnia? then we can summary common functionality and provide an generic API.

Ideally it will be a pure C interface so it is possbile to port to .net framework.