Considering Touch Diamond, a few questions

Guest shaggyguitarist

Guest shaggyguitarist

Ive been using windows mobiles for a while now and love it. Im reluctant to go to B***kberry, which I can get free on an upgrade from orange.

The Touch Diamond has been catching my eye, and i need to know if it will sync exactly the same as my M3100 to outlook 2003 with Jeyo mobile extender to include all sms's.

Also when I try and connect for the 1st time to outlook, will I be able to set up so that I can keep my last 2 years worth of important text messages, and just continue saving them where the old phone left off? My text messages are very important for me to backup for my business.

Is there anything else I need to be aware of regarding syncability to vista and xp from the diamond?

Thanks in advance.

Guest andybarker

Whilst I can't answer your questions, I do have a question for you.

I just tried Jeyo Extender as I wanted to sync my Diamond SMS to Outlook (have used Jeyo some time ago), but it seems to insist on having a COM port to talk to - I always use a USB cable with HotSync. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Andy

Edited by andybarker

Guest shaggyguitarist
Whilst I can't answer your questions, I do have a question for you.

I just tried Jeyo Extender as I wanted to sync my Diamond SMS to Outlook (have used Jeyo some time ago), but it seems to insist on having a COM port to talk to - I always use a USB cable with HotSync. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Andy

Andy, it seems you are trying the very thing I want to be able to do, now, I know nothing about COM ports or anything, although Ive generally left it on default and had no problems, any time I see COM ports mentioned.

I have been syncing my hermes through USB with Outlook 2003, JME, and Windows Mobile Device centre on Vista with no problems so far.

I need to figure out these things before I buy the Diamond, Ive been given an offer of £149 with an orange contract, which lasts until 9pm tonight, so any help will be gratefully recieved.

Guest Neil5459

Jeyo Mobile Extender should work perfectly with the Diamond. As long as you are using Outlook 2003 onwards you can copy messges back and forth between the PPC and the PC at will, according to Jeyo's product page.

When you get the new PPC, you will need to create a new partnership between that and your Outlook on the PC; you may need to remove the old partnership first to allow you to sync emails. As far as I can see, the Jeyo stuff is independent anyway.

Just tried it on my Diamond to test, and it worked fine- able to copy SMS messages either from or to the device from Outlook. No requests for COM ports or anything- just made sure to create a valid ActvieSync partnership, then restart Outlook. The only thing I'd recommend is to take a backup of your Outlook file (Outlook.pst) before doing anything, just in case!

£150 for a Diamond on Orange? Is that with a very low tariff? Seems quite expensive!

Guest shaggyguitarist
Jeyo Mobile Extender should work perfectly with the Diamond. As long as you are using Outlook 2003 onwards you can copy messges back and forth between the PPC and the PC at will, according to Jeyo's product page.

When you get the new PPC, you will need to create a new partnership between that and your Outlook on the PC; you may need to remove the old partnership first to allow you to sync emails. As far as I can see, the Jeyo stuff is independent anyway.

Just tried it on my Diamond to test, and it worked fine- able to copy SMS messages either from or to the device from Outlook. No requests for COM ports or anything- just made sure to create a valid ActvieSync partnership, then restart Outlook. The only thing I'd recommend is to take a backup of your Outlook file (Outlook.pst) before doing anything, just in case!

£150 for a Diamond on Orange? Is that with a very low tariff? Seems quite expensive!

Thanks Neil.

You have helped me with that, I also read the product page, but wanted confirmation from a diamond user.

How do I take a backup file? Is that Outlook.pst file on the pc or device?

I dont sync my emails to the device to save on storage, will that make it easier?

The £149 price was given for a contract of £15 a month (18 month). I am getting 500 mins and 200 texts, unlimited landline calls and Magic numbers. I had 4mb web access on my old contract so will see if they can throw that in also.

Guest andybarker

Had ActiveSync working fine for a few years with a number of PDAs, syncing emails and calendar. When I do send and receive with Jeyo, I get "Not Connected" message. In the Config screens, the Connection tab only shows IR or a COM port.

Guest Neil5459

Hmm- I don't even get a config screen! All I see is the Jeyo stuff in the Outlook taskbar, and it uses WMDC as its conduit.

Are you using Mobile Extender, or Mobile Companion?

Guest Neil5459
Thanks Neil.

You have helped me with that, I also read the product page, but wanted confirmation from a diamond user.

How do I take a backup file? Is that Outlook.pst file on the pc or device?

I dont sync my emails to the device to save on storage, will that make it easier?

The £149 price was given for a contract of £15 a month (18 month). I am getting 500 mins and 200 texts, unlimited landline calls and Magic numbers. I had 4mb web access on my old contract so will see if they can throw that in also.

OK- that is a good deal! You may get then to include 250MB data for £7.50.

Outlook- yes, do a backup of Outlook.pst on the PC. Go File/Import/Export and Export to a File; select Personal Folder File then select which folders to export. You may need to do the operation twice to include the SMS folder (make sure you use a different name for the backup each time!)

Guest shaggyguitarist
OK- that is a good deal! You may get then to include 250MB data for £7.50.

Outlook- yes, do a backup of Outlook.pst on the PC. Go File/Import/Export and Export to a File; select Personal Folder File then select which folders to export. You may need to do the operation twice to include the SMS folder (make sure you use a different name for the backup each time!)

Thanks again Neil.

Im not sure if I will need 250MB, but will see what they can offer. I can use wifi at home so Will only need browser if Im in the car (roadside, Im a driving instructor, :lol:)or away.

I may also see if they still do the "Money back on an old handset" offer too. Im a tight git

Guest shaggyguitarist

I just went ahead and took the deal. Was speaking to Margaret at orange, who was as helpful and enthusiastic as a wet sock.

I tried to get some add-ons, but there was no budging. I got my 4MB for £5 like I had before. I pushed to get a free bluetooth headset or car charger, but still no budging.

My new phone arrives on Wednesday. (hope its more exciting than Margaret)