Samsung i907/Epix/Blackjack III

Guest sfleuriet

Guest sfleuriet

I took some road trips to go see/use the new Samsung Epix/i907 in person today. I loved it, and just ordered one. Quite a hit to the wallet since I wasn't eligible for the 2-yr discounted upgrade from AT&T, BUT I think it will be well worth it.

Anybody else getting one right away?

I took some road trips to go see/use the new Samsung Epix/i907 in person today. I loved it, and just ordered one. Quite a hit to the wallet since I wasn't eligible for the 2-yr discounted upgrade from AT&T, BUT I think it will be well worth it.

If this was the BJIII, it would not be consistent with the WM6.1 Standard OS with non-touchscreen feature that the BJ series has been known to have. There are similar Samsung form factor phones that do not fit the BJ label.

Feature wise, I don't see the difference between this & the BJII other than the touchscreen & touchpad for navigation. All the other specifications are very similar (maybe more RAM?)

Guest tamanaco
If this was the BJIII, it would not be consistent with the WM6.1 Standard OS with non-touchscreen feature that the BJ series has been known to have. There are similar Samsung form factor phones that do not fit the BJ label.

Feature wise, I don't see the difference between this & the BJII other than the touchscreen & touchpad for navigation. All the other specifications are very similar (maybe more RAM?)

Other differences:

Epix vs BJII

RAM: 256MB ROM / 150MB RAM vs 256 MB ROM / 128 MB RAM

Processor: ARM920T PXA311 624mhz vs 260 MHz Dual Core ARM 9 Proc

Wireless: WiFi vs No WiFi

Screen: 320x320 vs 320x240

Edited by tamanaco

Guest john redcorn

Could a person reasonably use a phone like this without ever touching the touchscreen?

I ask because when I bought my BJII in february I fell in love with the windows mobile. A few weeks back I wanted another windows mobile device (pda) to use around the house for mp3s and to use with a bt gps for geocaching.

I ended up at the suggestion of someone on another forum, getting a HTC Wizard (cingular 8125, $90 from ebay) I wanted a regular pda with wm5 or 6 but found the pda phones were lots cheaper since people had part of the initial price subsidized by att. (and as a bonus I gained a slide out keyboard and a backup phone)

I've put my sim in it a few times and tried to use it as a phone for about a day at a time and I've found it's just impossible, I really hate the way everything works. I can pop out the keyboard thinking I can do everything from it but there's still times I have to do something on the touchscreen. And I'm not talking about any special apps, just talking about regular phone and text messaging stuff.

I'd imagine a phone like the i907 or one of the palms with winmo might be better about this since they have the same type of form factor as a blackjack (candybar, fixed keyboard, smallish screen) Could everything be done with buttons?

Guest sfleuriet

Thanks for posting the specs - the i907 is clearly much more powerful.

I can tell you the middle button (formerly the trackwheel on the BJII) is definitely the optical on-screen mouse. I used it briefly, and it seems like something I could get used to. Not sure how quickly navigation would be possible with it, but you could use that instead of the touchscreen if you wanted.

Yes its true - this may not technically be the BJIII - I can see the arguments for both sides. I guess the only other thing we can do is wait and see what Samsung comes out with next.

edited....

it would appear the i907 is the rumoured i788 that was speculated in June '08.....it appears to be an i780 with 850mhz band (quad) world phone support......NICE

looks like I will be getting one......when the current exchange gets better (c'mon Aussie dollar.....get back up there!!).

Edited by Sed8ed

Sounds like a sweet phone, I will give it a look. Frankly tho, unless you are going to try to edit a lot of work documents on your handset, WM 'Pro' is just too bush league for me. It's a pain to have to haul out the stylus to deal with all the checkboxes and tiny little icons in order to get anything done. My wife loves her i780, but she does do a lot of document editing and she loves the freedom it gives her to get away from the office.

ANd whatever Marketing Idiot at MS gat away with this nonesence of making sure programs that run on teh non-touchscreen version of WM won't work on the 'Pro' versions. Hey Microsoft, here's what your addle-brained Market Differntiation strategy has got you: for me to 'move up' to a WM 'Pro' machine, I would have to re-purchase all my software. Hmm, spend scouple of hundred dollers on software after paying hundreds for the phone, just to get a Last Generation experience - I think not. Cheaper and almost certainly more satisfying to get an iPhone

Frankly, the iPhone has changed the world's realtionship to small touch screens. Only HTC seems to have realized it, and you can't get their Touch FLo phones on AT&T (where they might compete with the iPhone - what do you think they're afraid of? :D

Since the HTC HD isn't available in quad band form, I'm actully looking for a used iPhone to evaluate. Frankly, although I'd love much about the iPhone, I'm still not sold on the keyboard for texting etc.

Hmmm... what to do, what to do... :lol:

MadSci

Guest sfleuriet

I think the keyboard, touch screen, and mouse combo is perfect. I love having the to use one of the 'soft key' buttons or touching the screen itself.

Regarding small things on the screen, my only complaint so far would be the scroll bars - being very thin and on the edge of the screen requires a fingernail or stylus.. makes it tricky.. but still usable.

Guest dtphantom

I'd love to get on of those but since I'm not eligible to upgrade and being a poor college student I'm not dropping 450 on a phone I don't actually need. Oh well I guess I'll just wait for WM7

Guest Kewlj1313

I went in my local ATT store today and got the guy to get one out of the box for me, he even put my sim card in it and let me play around with it. It is a bit heavy and thick I think, and in all honesty I liked the touch screen but Windows Mobile Pro just doesn't do it for me, I was not impressed by the overall feel from it. I love the wifi and touch screen features, but couldn't justify upgrading from my BJII to this phone.

Just my opinion!

Kewlj1313

Dont know what you mean by that, but I installed Google Maps and it works perfectly with it (just as it does in WM6.1 on the BJII).
What I meant was that I have yet to get the GPS to work properly on my BJII. All I ever get is the assisted version.

• 2 months later...

I often use the I907 without touching the screen. I love it.

You can use the track pad as a dpad to various other buttons.

I use AEBPlus to get a few more function keys out of it, but I tend to only use the stylus when I am sitting down. Besides with mobile shell you don't really need a stylus

I would say that it is the best one handed business phone that I have used.