(Update: 24 Nov 08) Custom ROM: Manilla2D with Alternate Landscape (DXHK1/M2D04)

Guest PaSSoA

Guest X-t-r-e-m-e

QUOTE(X-t-r-e-m-e @ Oct 24 2008, 16:10)

The weather forcast is way off for me. And yes its on Celsius. In holland it should be around 10 to 15 degrees but instead it shows 20 to 25 degrees. Is the data just incorrect or is there a fault in the conversion from fahrenheit to celsius?

May be an issue with Accuweather, I'll try to check it out.

I managed to fix it, a hard reset did the trick. So no need to check it out anymore and save yourself some valuable time. :lol:

BTW Is or would it be possible to rotate the picture on the Photos and Videos tab using your stylus or maybe even your finger? That would be cool. :D Ow zomg you can actually zoom and rotate the pictures after clicking it and use gestures. Nice really nice, didn't know ^^

Edited by X-t-r-e-m-e

Guest Master Gee
I foud out how you can use the Omnia contact manager instead of the WM6 version.

# Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shell\Rai\:MSCONTACTS

# Change "String 1" value from :MSPOUTLOOK contacts to \Windows\SECContact.exe

Then softreset. The only thing that doesn't work is the left " NEW" softkey in the contacts application. But you can add a new contact by typing the number with the phonepad and than choose new contect in menu.

PaSSoA maybe for your next ROM. This is a good fix for the WM-finger-unfriendly contacts list. I'm using it and it works like a charm. (Except for the "new" button inside the samsung contactlist.)

Edited by Master Gee

Guest draligus
You probably have to edit the tab sections to make it fit the Omnia's resolution, there are a few HTChomesettings.xml around the forum, just copy and paste the selected tab sections to the xml for in new theme, don't copy the entire file as it'll mess up the clock settings.

That's strange, I don't think I even changed that setting and youtube works fine, just go to the main page and not the mobile version of YT.

Not an issue, it's about 5MB in the stock ROM...

Great advice... hard reset after flashing is recommended :lol: .

Been using it for more than 2 days without a single reset, what other programs have you installed?

igo plus 2006 + nodata .. that is all

PaSSoA maybe for your next ROM. This is a good fix for the WM-finger-unfriendly contacts list. I'm using it and it works like a charm. (Except for the "new" button inside the samsung contactlist.)

Did you even bother to read through this topic?

Feeding back :lol: !

first of all really really great work . here are what i found buggy

first , the settings icon in the start menu is not working

second , the weather is not updating when I press update now just keep saying it's do updating but nothing happens only the name ofthe city appear

third , when changing the screen into lanpscape it's not working on full screen on the Todasy screen only half the screen are filled .

thanks anyway.

Guest black-DraGon
Hey people, if you had read the M2D complete guide by robf80, I had posted a few pictures of a cooked M2D with a few applications removed. After 2 days of testing, it is ready for use. Please note that this may contain bugs that I have not discovered, so use it at your own risk and, of course, I am not responsible for your device :lol:

Removed apps:

- DigitalFrame

- FlashLite2

- GoogleLauncher

- NetCF2.0

- PhotoSlides

- Podcasts

- RssReader

- Samsung Today 1

- Samsung Today 2

- Samsung Widget

- Samsung Main Menu / Launcher

- Shozu

- SliverInbox

- TaskSwitcher

- Welcome Center

- Windows Live

Added:

- NetCF3.5

- Working FlashLite3.1

- Magic Button

- Coloured Opera buttons and menu

- Total Commander CE

- Manilla2D update19 (optimised for Omnia's resolution) - thanks to all who contributed in the other thread. Youtube program not included as with FlashLite3.1, you can view it directly from Opera :D

- Manilla2D Customizer v0.13.154 (forgot to add a shortcut in programs, you can find Manilla2Dconfig.exe in the \windows\ folder)

- GPS tweak as suggested, not sure if it works though.. and a few little others

- Comms manager as suggested, does not really like Omnia's resolution and may be a little buggy, but it works. Will search for an alternative for the next version.

Note:

1) After accessing "All Settings" from M2D tab, the "Settings" shortcut under the start menu stops working, I'm not too sure if it's inherent to M2D or it has something to do with the large start menu. Will investigate for the next version, M2D02...

2) When you start GoogleMaps the very first time, click yes to all the security warnings that will appear. Omnia's security policies are a little different to other builds so it doesn't want to be disabled.

Installation:

- Unrar with winrar or similar program

- Run .exe and follow instructions

- As with normal installation, perform it on a WindowsXP pc with proper modem drivers installed.

- If you are having problems after flashing, perform a hard-reset and try again.

Download Here

Please try not to mirror it as I would like to know the amount of downloads, I will try to upload it on another server soon.

Edit: Mirror Added

Have fun and please report any bugs or suggestions.

Thanks to Paul for this brilliant site, GSeeker2 for finding a good ROM kichen at PDAClan, the very helpful guys at PDAmobiz and all others who contributed at the custom ROM discussion thread. Cheers!

Preview:

dude, u are great!!!

if you tell me how to do that i will pray for you ^^

i want to do an german rom or just translate yours... something like that...

pleas tell me how to decompile your file for changing.

greez

oh i forgot to ask... if i flash my german omnia, is it possible to reflash to an older german version?

Edited by black-DraGon

Guest Master Gee
Is it possible to go to the samsung phonebook when you press the "all persons" button. The Samsung phonebook is moore fingerfriendly then the current WM contacts menu.

PaSSoA keep up the good work!!

Instead of the samsung phonebook I recommend using icontact (with white skin).. It is way more finger friendly, you will notice this especially when you are driving.. See my prior post..

Did you even bother to read through this topic?

I just mentioned it because it was exactly what i was looking for. I appreciate your help, don't get me wrong, but I wanted to know a way to use the Samsung phonebook and you gave me icontacts instead..

Guest bobobird
Also.. Maybe it's an idea to use I-Contact instead of the regular contacts? This way I-Contact can be used to add people to the dialer tab. The white theme of I-Contact matches white manilla parts again.. If you set "show taskbar" it intergrates very well! It takes about 260k... It should set itself as the default contacts if not:

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shell\Rai\:MSCONTACTS

Change "String 1" value from :MSPOUTLOOK contacts to \Windows\icontact.exe

Use the following settings (icontact config) to integrate is perfect:

Skin: White

Show System Taskbar

Exit on Minimize on

Exit on Action on

Yes, I like iContact

But a big BUT ... on a standard (not cooked) rom, is there any way to make iContacts the regular phonebook?

Currently, the All Contacts defaults to SECcontact.exe which brings up the Samsung Contacts (which is already very good), and only in that list if one presses New does iContact pop up. And when Add contact is pressed in iContact, it does not bring up a iContactish contact adder but the default from WM. Hardly of much value if that is the normal behaviour of this app!!!

If this is indeed the best behaviour, then it is better to just leave the Samsung Dialer and SECContacts phonebook as is. Bringing up the standard WM contacts manager is of course a no-no.

Oh btw, a number of people have reported problems with this app. Perhaps retaing the existing dialpad/ss contacts should be less error prone. For those who wish to use icontact, they can always install it!

Edited by bobobird

Guest TarekIC

Hi,

I am a complete noob. Omnia is my first PPC and I am loving it.

This ROM is just really nice. Thumbs up for the author.

But I have a problem and I think that it has to do with the I

icontact application, after I installed it whenever I try accessing the settings menu the phone crashes and reboots.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Guest prelude

i noticed im very low on storage memoey and it often peompts me storage low error. when that happens i cant access my settimgs. i have abt 11mb or less of storage. how can i resolve this issue?

Thanks for all the feedback, I will try to incorporate as many ideas as possible, but bear with me as I will be busy this weekend and will be unable to work on the ROM :lol: Have to help me fiancee run errands...

Hi, as is the image inserted in the section music?

Doesn't Youtube work, as this program is activated?

Don't quite understand but album images will be part of your ID3 settings in your mp3 file and watch youtube by using Opera browser.

i noticed im very low on storage memoey and it often peompts me storage low error. when that happens i cant access my settimgs. i have abt 11mb or less of storage. how can i resolve this issue?

Did you perform a hardreset after flashing? What apps did you install and how many contacts/notes do you have?

meh for no reason now when i go to All Settings my phone restarts ;) haha.

any ideas folks? i guess hard reset again? :lol:

hard reset buttons dont work crap :S and i cant access the settings for hard reset lol :o

anyone know the shortcut to hard reset from the Devise?

Edit i found it is in \Windows\HardReset :D

Edited by sector

Guest dark_spice

GREAT ROM!! It's my first time to update my OMNIA and this is a great choice for me as I am leaning towards Manilla2D more, than anything.

Feedback time:

1. All Programs button on the Launcher tab tends to STOP working. I usually end up using the start menu link or just do a soft reset.

2. Weather tab has difficulty updating than my previous Manilla2D (by Robf80). But it still updates nonetheless.

3. I wish the MSN Live Messenger remained.

4. I'm liking Magic button because of this now.

5. I tried to put some themes for M2DC, edited the XML but didn't get the result I wanted. Do I have to adjust every graphics on it?

6. Memory seemed to be good than when Im still using my original ROM with my choice of apps installed.

7. So far.. GREAT start for me and for a Manilla2D ROM.

8. THANKS again!

9. Oh! And I hope The Samsung Widgets also remained. hehe (how much space does this consume, Im curious)

Guest ferrari85
GREAT ROM!! It's my first time to update my OMNIA and this is a great choice for me as I am leaning towards Manilla2D more, than anything.

Feedback time:

1. All Programs button on the Launcher tab tends to STOP working. I usually end up using the start menu link or just do a soft reset.

2. Weather tab has difficulty updating than my previous Manilla2D (by Robf80). But it still updates nonetheless.

5. I tried to put some themes for M2DC, edited the XML but didn't get the result I wanted. Do I have to adjust every graphics on it?

6. Memory seemed to be good than when Im still using my original ROM with my choice of apps installed.

8. THANKS again!

9. Oh! And I hope The Samsung Widgets also remained. hehe (how much space does this consume, Im curious)

If i'm not wrong, Samsung Widgets requires flashlite 2.1 it doesnt work with 3.1. So i think at least for now, flashlite 3.1 and widgets doesnt seemed to be able to coexist <_<

Anyway, does anyone has any idea on how to get the audio manager to recognise songs with unicode tag? (for example chinese or jap songs)

I just open the xnl file in notepad and replace the 2 number with 348 and nothing changes still the same resoultion plz help! or upload ur working xml file

Guest MikeTay

Sorry still cannot play youtube from the internet browser. The streaming player would come on but no sound. A prompt that says cannot connect and have to change settings comes on but changing settings do not help. Hope someone can tell me what is wrong.

Guest dark_spice

Feedback time:

8. THANKS again!

Additional feedback:

10. I also encountered the Settings menu on the Start Menu not functioning.

If i'm not wrong, Samsung Widgets requires flashlite 2.1 it doesnt work with 3.1. So i think at least for now, flashlite 3.1 and widgets doesnt seemed to be able to coexist <_<

Oh, I see.. but isn't it logic that a program made for a lower flash version, should work on a higher flash version? Anyway, this is not that important though. I just find it cool, to use widgets when I get tired of Manilla2D. hehe :lol:

hey,

you did really gread work PaSSoA :-)

i have a little question before i flash this firmware. I'm currently on the original DTHJ6 firmware. When i now flash your firmware, is it possible to flash back to a original firmware if there may be to many problems or something?

regards mazeli

Hi all, a quick reply to questions...

taken note of the bugs so far, especially the settings and programs menus which seem to be the biggest issue.

For themes, there will be modifications needed for the xml files, for more instructions please refer to the customise manilla guide, I too am not an expert in that field.

Internet browsing is no issue with the ROM, so it might be some settings, try browsing a page with PIE and if that works, than it's probably a setting problem with Opera. Also try browsing the net with activesync connected and Automatically Detect Settings are checked in Opera and in Browser Connections under settings.

Don't think flashing to a previous version and updating again will do any harm.

See ya....

Yes, I like iContact

But a big BUT ... on a standard (not cooked) rom, is there any way to make iContacts the regular phonebook?

Currently, the All Contacts defaults to SECcontact.exe which brings up the Samsung Contacts (which is already very good), and only in that list if one presses New does iContact pop up. And when Add contact is pressed in iContact, it does not bring up a iContactish contact adder but the default from WM. Hardly of much value if that is the normal behaviour of this app!!!

If this is indeed the best behaviour, then it is better to just leave the Samsung Dialer and SECContacts phonebook as is. Bringing up the standard WM contacts manager is of course a no-no.

Oh btw, a number of people have reported problems with this app. Perhaps retaing the existing dialpad/ss contacts should be less error prone. For those who wish to use icontact, they can always install it!

Well.. I don't have a problem with the adding contacts being native windows.. I think that we should aim (hope you agree PaSSoA) that icontacts should be the default within the rom.. Maybe replacing the SECcontact.exe with the icontact.exe whould be the easiest?

What problems are you referering to bij the way? I'm using icontact for a long time now without any problem whatsoever..

Also for the widgets not being compatible with Flash 3.1 Maybe this is a nice alternative?:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=430190

I don't think we should want to have everything PaSSoA has removed from the rom, one by one put back.. I sure as hell like the current rom a LOT because of the speed and the "mean and lean" nature.. To be honest, i really am a bit dissapointed that windows live has to go back (5MB extra..) but I am hoping it will stay with that and that only things get replaced by better versions which are out there..