Tmobile and 3G

Guest rrolff

There's very little discussed on the subject.

I'm in So Cal, and 3G is now available on TMobile.

I talked with one tech who said he thought their 3G was a different frequency - and there is another post here implying they heard the same thing.

I find this very hard to believe as the quad band phones all share the same frequencies... Can anyone shed some real light on this? It makes no sense because 3G is meant to homogenize the population - not split it.

Cheers,

Rolf

Guest Adama D. Brown
There's very little discussed on the subject.

I'm in So Cal, and 3G is now available on TMobile.

I talked with one tech who said he thought their 3G was a different frequency - and there is another post here implying they heard the same thing.

I find this very hard to believe as the quad band phones all share the same frequencies...

It's true. T-Mobile's 3G network operates on the 1700 and 2100 bands, AT&T's 3G is on 850 and 1900. The fact that the regular GSM networks work on the same frequencies doesn't do anything to help. You can take an i617 to T-Mo, but it will never work with their 3G network, no matter what. 

• 2 months later...
Guest Lab Rat

I don't understand why having 3G on another frequency would make a difference. I understood 3G to be a communication protocol which shouldn't be frequency dependent.

Please explain further why you made the above claim.

Guest khaosknight
I don't understand why having 3G on another frequency would make a difference. I understood 3G to be a communication protocol which shouldn't be frequency dependent.

Please explain further why you made the above claim.

He said that because even though the phone and head-end are using the "3G" protocol, if the head-end transceiver is set to only broadcast 1700 or 2100, and the phone only us 850 and 1900, then they will not meet up. It's like cable TV. all channels are using the same protocol (mostly), but if LOST is on channel 5, you can't tune to channel 11 and expect to see it, because despite using the same protocol, they are two different frequencies. Hope that clears it up.