Paul Reviews.... the Sony Ericsson Xperia X1

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Menneisyys
Good Evening..

Very nice Review Sir, just got a question for you: How is the sound quality in the speakers in the X1? I had the Nokia E90 before, and the e90 had stereo speaker(like X1) and used it to play music from youtube and so on while i was doing homework or just surfing the web, dont know if you ever have heard the sound from the speakers in E90 or Nokia n95, but if you have heard it.. How would you say Xperia X1 speakers are compared to them..

Very few WinMo devices come with stereo speakers (Wizard, Universal, Flame - all the three are heavily outdated). And even they deliver far worse sound quality (thru the speakers) than the N95.

Unfortunately, WinMo device manufacturers don't even try to release models with powerful, high-quality stereo speakers. Which is definitely a pity now that the N95 is 1.5 years old...

Guest Ericmky

Thanks Paul four your great works.

in some part of your review you talk about Palm Treo Pro.

Whats is your opinion about this device??

Have you some review about Treo Pro??

Thanks..

Guest jahd5000

Hey Paul!! i wanted to ask you for you opinion.

Im considering both OMNIA and XPERIA... I kind of like more de Xperia (Keyboard, resolution, stylish XD) and somehow i like more SE than Samsung since always... but heres the thing

im very used to Symbian OS and i really liked the fact that there were plenty of apps and games and emulators and so on, and they most were compatible.

Now, with WinMo 6 Thats not exactly the same situation. Yes, there are a lot of apps oyut there. But also a lot of compatibility problems:

* Resolution

* WinMO version

* WinMo rom (?)

* Proessor Speed

* More....

I cant tell, anyways, since i have no experience with windows mobile at all. So in that sense, which phone do you think is better for me specially if a like a lot games and apps in my mobile. Hardware-wise im just in love with the Xperia. But i kind of dislike the idea of having it hthere hanging with no more to do than call and browse and multimedia. I think you know what i mean.

And if there is any link or info you could give me to start my life in WinMo (XD) to get to understand basics and where to get apps, that would be just awesome.

Btw, sorry to ask you so much,.... :lol:

Guest Killerdraft
Hey Paul!! i wanted to ask you for you opinion.

Im considering both OMNIA and XPERIA... I kind of like more de Xperia (Keyboard, resolution, stylish XD) and somehow i like more SE than Samsung since always... but heres the thing

im very used to Symbian OS and i really liked the fact that there were plenty of apps and games and emulators and so on, and they most were compatible.

Now, with WinMo 6 Thats not exactly the same situation. Yes, there are a lot of apps oyut there. But also a lot of compatibility problems:

* Resolution

* WinMO version

* WinMo rom (?)

* Proessor Speed

* More....

I cant tell, anyways, since i have no experience with windows mobile at all. So in that sense, which phone do you think is better for me specially if a like a lot games and apps in my mobile. Hardware-wise im just in love with the Xperia. But i kind of dislike the idea of having it hthere hanging with no more to do than call and browse and multimedia. I think you know what i mean.

And if there is any link or info you could give me to start my life in WinMo (XD) to get to understand basics and where to get apps, that would be just awesome.

Btw, sorry to ask you so much,.... :lol:

Basically if you can use a windows operating system you can use the xperia. But in the xperia case imagine you have your one computer with 9 different monitors with 9 different desktops. Each desktop you have set in ways you like ... example from media desktop to simple desktop with applications to desktop with a screensaver running all the time where you are able to still pull programs from start > programs. That is the basic understanding for the xperia ... now for where to get apps. All depends on what kind of apps you need or want. Like for me I didnt know what apps I wanted i just wanted a subway map. So I googled "subway map nyc windows mobile." And found tube2, thats basically how I got my apps ... not sure how to post a youtube video

here or start a new post with my useful apps video but ill figure a way out and show u. I also have links to the side to show what apps I used.

My apps video

Edited by Killerdraft

Guest robertchinneck
It does, yeah...

P

Hi again Paul,

Could you show the Windows Live screen where it shows the installed Live components please? I take it Messenger is installed as well?

Thanks,

Rob.

Guest bsp120167

Hi Paul

Do you think the lack of a g-sensor is a big factor with the X1? I think I am sold on this device over the Touch Pro but I am concerned that when WM7 launches it will require a g-sensor for screen rotation.

Other than games is there anything you would be missing out on?

Thoughts?

Hi Paul

Do you think the lack of a g-sensor is a big factor with the X1? I think I am sold on this device over the Touch Pro but I am concerned that when WM7 launches it will require a g-sensor for screen rotation.

Other than games is there anything you would be missing out on?

Thoughts?

Well, apparently WM7 is going to use gestures, e.g. if you shake the device it will wake up...that kinda thing. I'd imagine that would required a G sensor, although I've read they might use the camera too.

If you want WM7, I'd recommend not to get the X1.

Guest schaggo

I cant imagine any recent Windows Mobile-powered smartphone receiving an upgrade to WM7. Somehow none and I really mean none of them fits the image I have of WM7.

In that presentation found in the web earlier this year it was stated that WM7 apparently uses the camera or an infrared sensor for the movement/gesture based controls and is absolutely not dependant on any motion/acceleration/g-sensor.

There is no knowledge available on what hardware WM7 needs, seeing what they are working on I can imagine its going to be similar-ish to the XP-Vista situation when Vista was launched: the most recent hardware today wont be enough, its going to require at least the hardware available at the launch date or the hardware of the near future. This is in no way based on facts, this is only my oppinion I pieced together.

But I think its silly talking of WM7 when nobody knows anything about it, not even a release date, which will probably be 2010, when the X1 will be seriously outdated anyway.

Guest FutureDirt

Been playing with the x1 myself for about a week now.

Cant say that it has persuaded me to part with my Omnia.

If i were to want a hardware qwerty keyboard though... id probably pick the X1 over the touch pro. I say probably because the lack of accelerometer IS quite big factor for me now.

Guest Coolhorn
The X1A will, the X1i doesn't. You will be looked after on T-Mo US... B)

P

I'm not sure who your sources are Paul, but alas, it appears that the X1a will NOT be including 3G support of the 1700 band after all...and you had my hopes up for the last 2 weeks! B) Oh well, we poor T-Mobile customers are left out again...

I just can't figure out why SE is bothering to market a "factory unlocked" phone when it will only work with the 3G network of one US cellular provider! $800 is an awful lot to spend on something that won't work on anything but Edge or Wi-fi for T-Mobile...I can't believe they are leaving out half of all US GSM subscribers. B)

I love my G1 in a lot of ways, but am finding myself missing a lot of things from WinMo...menus, file organization, predictive text, etc. Hopefully they'll be adding enough things to android in the near future to keep my interest...visual voicemail, Exchange support, virtual keyboard, etc.

Although the price of the G1 certainly helps make up for the lack of certain features thus far...

Edited by Coolhorn

Guest chrisash32
That's insane! I've been led to believe all along that 1700MHz support would be in there!

Grrr, how silly...

P

I am an O2 customer is the UK, and i am looking to upgrade from my Kaiser to this. One question as i see you mentioning 3G etc etc, will this device support HSDPA??

Cheer

Chris

Guest squilla

Well I'm really excited, this review has sold it to me! I have just ordered mine from Vodafone, I'm sad to say bye bye to T-Mobile for now but quite happy to get rid of my Ameo, it will be great to have a phone I can use as a phone at long last!

Yeah!

Guest unique_v1rus

hi paul, if there any chance to make cabs with x1 interface look like for omnia? i mean just like Manila2D for HTC touch flo look like (i've tried it on my omnia, kinda great stuff).. it would be amazing if X1 UI can be instaled in omnia.. i've saw the x1 ad, the UI animations look fantastic B) thx

Guest squilla

So far Im lovong this phone, its far smaller than I am used to and im finding the keyboard fiddly but thats because ive had an Ameo and Universal for so long now. I only have one gripe with this phone, there is no '?' on the keyboard, I find that odd.

The build quality is lovely, as Paul has mentioned the slide on the keyboard is great, the phone feels solid, the screen is fantastic and the phone runs really quick too, thats the phone operation and the internet on GPRS (running on 2 bars in my house).

It took me a bit to get used to the joystick, once I thought of it like a mouse rather than a button I got on with it well. The X panel threw me a bit as i'm so used to the windows homescreen but having lived with it a day I love it! The camera is far better quality than I have seen on other WM devices.

All in all this phone gets a thumbs up from me, it has what I want, a sliding QWERTY keyboard, runs quick, has WM6 and at last I have a phone I can use as a phone! Im not getting rid of my Ameo though, I still love it. :-)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.