GPS

Guest smcqis

Guest Neil5459
WHATS THE DIFFERENCE between QuickGPS and Googlemaps??

Do they both cost to run??? any help appreciated, im anewbie in this

QuickGPS is simply a small application that preloads the GPS Location cache with data relevant to your location, so it obtains a satellite fix faster (in theory, though I find it makes little difference!); this uses a minimal amount of data once every 5 days. It has no user interface as regards your actual location.

Google Maps is a mapping and navigation program that takes the data from the GPS receiver and translates it into the visible user interface. It uses a relatively large amount of data because each screen has to be downloaded. A small amount is cached, but for even a short trip, you would need a pretty good data plan to ensure you didn't get charged silly money for data usage. My estimate is that a 2 mile square takes about 200KB of data, but that is only a very rough figure, and there is quite an overlap between screens.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest estechco
so after downloading tomtom 7 il be able to use this with my free map with no charge?

Yes, but only with your one free map.

Also, be warned, that if you've simply downloaded TomTom 7 from the internet rather than received it as an OEM bundle (which seems to have only been available in Germany), don't contact TomTom for any kind of support or even to upgrade existing maps, becasue they class this kind of install as illegal!

I know, because I've already done this and whilst they weren't exactly threatening legal action, they gave me rather short thrift

yes i heard this before and thanks. i havent used GPS yet and i downloaded london map as im going there in couple weeks and thot it could be useful.

is it jus a matter of going into tomtom or do i need to go to QuickGPS first to download?

is it jus a matter of going into tomtom or do i need to go to QuickGPS first to download?

QuickGPS and tomtom are not in any way related in the way you think.

QuickGPS is simply an application that will allow your position to be found more quickly - whether using google-maps, tomtom, memory-map or any other app that uses GPS.

In fact you can completely go without QuickGPS - it will just mean that your position will be found in say 60 seconds instead of 30.