STOPPED - New graphic Interface for OMNIA

Guest Hellbender

Guest speleomaniac
Here are two animations of possible transitions between menus inside the launcher

Slide up transition

Push button transition

I like both. I think we will choose the more performant, or the most rated if performance are the same.

Let's see what our Speleomaniac have to say B)

impossible is nothing... B)

nice job hellbender. will try those fade effects asap, hope the impact on performance is minimal.

Guest Hellbender
impossible is nothing... B)

nice job hellbender. will try those fade effects asap, hope the impact on performance is minimal.

I'll eventually reduce the icons size to help speed.

I was asking myself... Xscale technology could in any way help us to gain performance and smoothness?

I don't know much about it, but i know it's some sort of special set of instructions dedicated to the omnia Intel CPU.

Edited by Hellbender

Guest Barthlon
I LOVE the push button version!

agree on that!

the last version of the exe works fine and icons do stop in the middle now, but it's still pretty hard to get the one you need to stop in place B)

also i think the idea of hiding the images while in the back is a good idea, i think the spinner would be more clear and the overview would be better then. so i mean you can only see the front half/180 degrees of the circle.

keep up the work guys, and ill keep testing B)

Guest Hellbender
agree on that!

the last version of the exe works fine and icons do stop in the middle now, but it's still pretty hard to get the one you need to stop in place B)

also i think the idea of hiding the images while in the back is a good idea, i think the spinner would be more clear and the overview would be better then. so i mean you can only see the front half/180 degrees of the circle.

keep up the work guys, and ill keep testing B)

Well i didn't mentioned that i'd like the push animation to be in either two behaviours, i think should be the standard animation for all the buttons.

Agree with that!

Guest Hellbender

Just updated the pics on the main page, i've added softkeys to task manger and to lock the device on the spinner, and revised the home screen with some helpful things. The softkeys in the launcher aren't meant to be customizable (visually speaking) but i think it could be possible to launch a custom program from them. I choose Task manager and Lock cause i think this are the two most used functions in the long term.

I split the status bar in 4 different icons placed at the corners of the screen:

spinnerto8.png

-the top left clock, which i'd like to be presente in all other screens as well, may link to the home screen when pressed.

-the top right speaker should call up an additional screen where to set pda and phone volumes, in addition it gives visual info on the actual audio profile (will do different icons).

-the bottom right icon represents the actual network protocol, i figure that tapping that will open a sort of connection manager.

-the bottom left corner contains the network operator and the signal strenght (new representation)

I decided to split them cause i usually have problems tapping them with fingers in the actual WM status bar, this way they should be easyer to touch without touching something else.

Removed the task ring from the portrait screen, it was too crowdy and i fear performances would have been poor.

Added a bar on the bottom of the screen that measures the battery status, batty-like, i find it cooler than the default battery indicator and very self contained while more informative. I've also considered a glass battery somewhere like the i-phone one, but it's too cumbersome for its final functionality, so i scrapped it.

What about a new system of locking up the pda? S2U2 i mean, but redesigned to fit this style, maybe with a new locking contraption (sort of a touch keyhole?) B)

Edited by Hellbender

Would be so nice if you slide over LOCK and a lockscreen would fly in from the right B)

It would be very nice too if, when this interface is finished, you could make a huge iconset, because the spinner idea is nice, but I really love your icons, and if you place normal icons in it (as with the latest version), its really ugly!

Guest Hellbender
Would be so nice if you slide over LOCK and a lockscreen would fly in from the right B)

mh, an entire screen sliding, i fear for performances but only Speleomaniac will say that. Could be cute.

It would be very nice too if, when this interface is finished, you could make a huge iconset, because the spinner idea is nice, but I really love your icons, and if you place normal icons in it (as with the latest version), its really ugly!

I'll probably work on an icon set when things are further on. Obviously it will be very hard to keep the "neon line" style with all the apps, especially for the third party ones, they could loose their recognizability, but i could make them shinier and hi-res.

Guest Barthlon
mh, an entire screen sliding, i fear for performances but only Speleomaniac will say that. Could be cute.

I'll probably work on an icon set when things are further on. Obviously it will be very hard to keep the "neon line" style with all the apps, especially for the third party ones, they could loose their recognizability, but i could make them shinier and hi-res.

looking beautiful once more, let's see what speleo can make of this.

once again, keep up the good work!

Guest Jokes On You

Would this interface have a full configuration so that lets say when I hit contacts it goes to a music it goes to messaging it goes to SMS Chat instead of the standard messaging?

Guest Jokes On You
How about: read the full thread

I did and im asking because it may be more difficult to integrate third party apps with this interface then just having one that is standard. If its easier to just have one made the intial menu then that is fine so that it is up and running and more people can become involved.

Edited by Jokes On You

Guest Hellbender
I did and im asking because it may be more difficult to integrate third party apps with this interface then just having one that is standard. If its easier to just have one made the intial menu then that is fine so that it is up and running and more people can become involved.

Could have been if we had another programmer, at least, but we just have one and he's pretty busy at the moment, so i would say no, no intregration.

Maybe in the future.

First i'd like to have a usable, cute, shell, then we will eventually think about new apps. At this time we can make customizable shortcuts to allow users to launch their own programs.

Edited by Hellbender

Guest saitronprince

New idea. You guys are afraid about the icons looking out of touch, so, heres an idea. This might piss of some, because it would change the look, but change the background to something a little more neutral, less flashy, and simply put in a few commands that would overlay a few alpha images to take normal icons and make them 3D, similar to the iPhone apps. if you follow through on making the icons smaller, it won't even be noticeable.

Sorry, I misondersdood you B)

Guest Jokes On You
If you mean a thread, yes i did but almost no one paid it too much attention.

XDA thread

Yea I can see that. This just need to build a following. I would love for this to be Omnia specific but you might have try and build a broader base so that you can get more help.

Guest Hellbender
Yea I can see that. This just need to build a following. I would love for this to be Omnia specific but you might have try and build a broader base so that you can get more help.

Exactly what i did, i've changed all the thread's headers saying that will be a generic WM shell.

I anyway hope we can advantage i900 owners with the xscale technology.

Guest Hellbender

New screen: the audio settings/profiles.

audioao5.png

This is what I figure will show up when you press the little speaker at the top right of the screen.

As you can see it overlays on the acreen you currently are, the two wheels control the volume of the pda and the fone, i imagine you can modify volume levels both tapping on the plus/minus signs and sliding in a circular path on the circular bar.

Tapping in the center of the circle, on the icon, you can set the device to vibrate or to silent mode (icon will change).

Dove will just accept your settings and exit to the prior screen.

So beside the appearance, the usability is just the same ad the WM default control, just more finger friendly.

Edited by Hellbender