Outlook, ActiveSync and Battery Life

Guest APTEMbI4

Guest APTEMbI4

I'm trying to optimize my battery with Outlook push email. I currently have the Sync Schedule set to "As items arrive" during peak times and "Manually" during off-peak. I get about 15-20 work emails a day. My questions are:

1. How often does the phone engage the 3G connection with "As items arrive" setting? Is there some kind of keepalive that checks in with the Exchange server to see if there are new messages?

2. Will I save or drain more battery if I change the sync to "every 30 minutes" or so rather then "As items arrive"?

3. If I set my phone to "GSM Band Preference" using the BandSel.exe (*#2263#) I get the "G" instead of "3G". Outlook sync still works but a bit slower. Does that save the battery over "3G" mode?

Guest dtphantom
I'm trying to optimize my battery with Outlook push email. I currently have the Sync Schedule set to "As items arrive" during peak times and "Manually" during off-peak. I get about 15-20 work emails a day. My questions are:

1. How often does the phone engage the 3G connection with "As items arrive" setting? Is there some kind of keepalive that checks in with the Exchange server to see if there are new messages?

2. Will I save or drain more battery if I change the sync to "every 30 minutes" or so rather then "As items arrive"?

3. If I set my phone to "GSM Band Preference" using the BandSel.exe (*#2263#) I get the "G" instead of "3G". Outlook sync still works but a bit slower. Does that save the battery over "3G" mode?

I don't know about the top two but question 3 is a yes. You are switching off 3G(the fast high speed data connection) for GPRS(which is much slower in the range of dial up) and that saves quite a lot of power. On my phone my battery lasts about a day when on 3G, but if I go somewhere where there is only GPRS or EDGE my phone lasts about 2 days.