Problems with carrier signal strength on replaced TyTN II?

Guest Paulplex

Guest Paulplex

Yesterday I dropped my handset :lol: : the PTT button (above the jog wheel on the left side of the handset) was nicely buggered and would press by itself when I didn't want it to and wouldn't depress when I did.

Explained it all to the nice people at Orange and today had my replacement handset delivered. :D

My new phone is scratch, dust and dint free: however, the phone just doesn't seem to connect to the network anywhere near as quickly or as reliably as my original handset. Most of the time it sits there with the warning exclamation - suggesting there is no signal - then it'll suddenly connect and I'll have three or more bars. That only lasts for a few seconds generally though: then it's back to the warning exclamation again.

Here's my phone details:

handset01.jpghandset02.jpg

...note the exclamation - as it sits on my desk, it changes from no bars to four and back to none again: maintaining signal for no more than a minute at best.

This is the default ROM shipped with the phone from Orange: I've tried a couple of hard-resets and tested with no 'new' software installed to the phone - but to no avail. Anyone have any ideas? I don't really want to put a custom ROM on this at the moment but is there a radio update which might work better - but that can be installed without reflashing the phone?

Guest Paulplex
That sounds about right: I'll call them tomorrow.

...and I had it setup as I wanted it <_<

Okay, just called them now actually; poor fellow called Mark sitting in a call centre at 9:40 took my call. Apparently as a 'new' handset, they need to do further diagnostics first: I need to leave the phone turned off for a couple of hours and they'll do "something" from the network side - turn it back on later tonight and monitor it throughout tomorrow and only if it's still an issue this time tomorrow can I call up again to try and get a replacement for the replacement phone.

...sounds complicated: what exactly would Orange want to do for the next two hours with my phone switched off?

Guest jchamier
Okay, just called them now actually; poor fellow called Mark sitting in a call centre at 9:40 took my call. Apparently as a 'new' handset, they need to do further diagnostics first: I need to leave the phone turned off for a couple of hours and they'll do "something" from the network side - turn it back on later tonight and monitor it throughout tomorrow and only if it's still an issue this time tomorrow can I call up again to try and get a replacement for the replacement phone.

...sounds complicated: what exactly would Orange want to do for the next two hours with my phone switched off?

No idea here. If its of any interest, you have the same Radio version as my handset, which is a Vario III on T-mobile, but with the HTC 6.1 ROM installed, not the 6.0 that came with it.

I am having the same isssue, called orange and they said they would send the details via a text that i would save the settings to use as network settings ... 3 days ago. Mine is also a replaced model, i use wi-fi in office and home so hadnt noticed the exclaimation mark untill recently :lol: bloody orange.

Guest Paulplex
I am having the same isssue, called orange and they said they would send the details via a text that i would save the settings to use as network settings ... 3 days ago. Mine is also a replaced model, i use wi-fi in office and home so hadnt noticed the exclaimation mark untill recently B) bloody orange.

Well, my new handset came Saturday morning and works amazingly, like my original one did before the faulty replacement.

I'm keeping my new one tidily in it's case and I swear to the God of mobile phones that I'll keep it scratch free and never drop it. Techy, have you not tried going back to Orange and chasing them up about it? Normally, I'd slate their customer services but I've had a nice experience with them for a change...

Edited by Paulplex