GPRS causes interference on the land line phone

Guest xee

First of all my apologies if this is a stupid question or is in the wrong place :D

The GPRS signal on my Windows Mobile device causes a large amount of interference on my land line. If I turn exchange push email off then its better but there is still some radio interference. With push email on, the continuous sound on the land line headset makes it impossible to hear anything else. What's more the other party can hear it too! It continuously pulses and individual pulses sound like something between a beep and a screech.Of course a little interference is understandable but this is definitely more than a little.

Have been scouring the internet for some information on this (see excerpt from another site below) but surprisingly couldn't find much (I might just be bad at googling of course!). Could this be a problem with land lines in Pakistan only? Do comment on this if you have had this problem as well. It gets so bad with my land line at the office that I have to put the cell phone away in a drawer or at a distance from the land line just to make out what the other person is saying on the land line. Very irritating :lol:

Also, the strength of the interfering signal is worrying. There are studies that claim that extensive cell phone use does increase the risk of health problems. If push email means that the radio is almost continuously on then does that count as extensive cell phone use? It is worth mentioning here that I had this problem with my other windows mobile phone as well which was the HTC Himalaya (QTEK 2020). My current phone is the Samsung Omnia and it is on the official Singapore DZHJ1 ROM. A friend who is using the same device on the DXHH1 ROM reports the same problem.

Did find something on this at http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/44054-...io-interference

Excerpt follows:

===========

Once and for all...

This interference is a result of the frequencies used by GSM. If your GSM handset is near the audio device (speaker phone, stereo, mp3 player or almost anything with a speaker), you're going to get these sounds whenever the handset transmits. This occurs periodically when the handset and the cell site "handshake". That is, the cell site interrogates all handsets within range and exchanges a small amount of data. Something like (cell site) "..whomever is out there, identify yourself?". (handset) "...I'm here and available. My number is xxx-xxx-xxxx".

Also, when someone calls your cellphone, the cell site broadcasts a data stream to all handsets, looking for yours. Your handset then transmits a short burst of data, identifying itself. (this is why you can sometimes tell when the cell phone is about to ring). Then the cell site sends a ringing signal and your handset rings.

During the time you're talking, the handset is transmitting, so the interference continues.

Generally, all GSM handsets should cause about the same amount of interference. The variables are; 1) distance between the handset and the audio device, 2) shielding of audio components inside the device being interfered with. ==========

Although this doesn't specifically cover land lines, it does answer the question of why this happens. However, there is a difference between getting some interference and getting interference that makes it impossible to use a land line.

Any comments?

Guest UndeadDevil

A Landline Phone will pick up interference from a moible if the mobile is less than roughly half a meter away from the handset, Twisted Cooper is Shielded (Normally) and wouldn't pick up interference.

My suggestion to you is stop leaving your mobile within half a meter of your Land Line Handset