Omnia replacement New or Reconditioned?

Guest Rusty1

Hello . . & thanks in advance to anyone who can help,

I have taken delivery of my fourth (yes - that is fourth) Omnia handset. This has been due to a continuing problem with the clock.

The clock has been 'dropping' hours and not accurate on several occassions with each handset.

To Orange's credit, they have run a 'diagnostic' and said that each needed to be replaced (They have also offered to replace it with an HTC Diamond, but I really love the Omnia).

Now my queery starts:

On two occassions they argued that I would receive a reconditioned handset - but I (successfully) argued that if the handset is covered for 28 days (to be considered 'fit for the purpose') that I should receive a 'Brand new' one.

Anyway - I had the same argument on Wednesday; the person went away to check and came back to confirm that I would be receiving a new handset. I took delivery last night (Thursday).

When I unpacked the phone from its box, the battery was not in a sleeve, nor was it snugged in its place but loose in the box?

When I set up the phone, the date was already showing 4th November 2008 - very strange?

I have looked at the ROM and it seems that mine is older/earlier than some of the positngs I have seen from people who got their phones in October?

A very long message - sorry, (forgot to put ROM info) PDA: XXHG5/MSHG1 Phone: XXHG5

Rusty

Edited by Rusty1

Guest Anfloyd

I bought my Omnia on Orange about 6 weeks ago with the same rom. To my knowledge there hasn't been an official UK upgrade from Samsung since. So my guess is that the rom is up to date. Whether the phone has been used or not is anybody's guess, but already having a date in doesn't look good.

I bought my Omnia on Orange about 6 weeks ago with the same rom. To my knowledge there hasn't been an official UK upgrade from Samsung since. So my guess is that the rom is up to date. Whether the phone has been used or not is anybody's guess, but already having a date in doesn't look good.

Thanks for the reply - it was the loose battery and the date that made me suspicious. Orange say that the battery must be because the boxes are opened and the 'Samsung Manual' removed and replaced with an 'Orange Manual' . . . . ?

As you have had the yours for a while with the same ROM as me I am okay with that one . . . still the issue of the date?

Never mind - it really is a great phone (can't wait for the [official] update).

Cheers & thanks again,

Rusty

never ever had this issue with the omnia since i got it 3 weeks ago. only issue i had was with the battery life, but changed it a couple of days ago and seems to be doing ok for now...

just hope the ROM update comes fast.... cos other countries have it except us in the UK

I have to say that long hours spent researching the issue has shown that there aren't many Omnia owners reporting the same type of problem.

I am looking forward to the update too - asap!

Cheers,

Rusty

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure where to post this, so sorry if I should be posting somewhere else. I'm brand new to this site and I joined to see if I can get some answers as to why I cannot get my Omnia to operate as a phone. I live in the U.S and Samsung says the phone is not supported here and yet I read these forums and such that appear to indicate that others are able to use it. Can someone please let me know what might be my problem as the phone doesn't even search or attempt to detect a sim card and when I try to select the option to turn on the phone part of this handset it doesn't do anything and just remains off.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me with this problem.

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure where to post this, so sorry if I should be posting somewhere else. I'm brand new to this site and I joined to see if I can get some answers as to why I cannot get my Omnia to operate as a phone. I live in the U.S and Samsung says the phone is not supported here and yet I read these forums and such that appear to indicate that others are able to use it. Can someone please let me know what might be my problem as the phone doesn't even search or attempt to detect a sim card and when I try to select the option to turn on the phone part of this handset it doesn't do anything and just remains off.

Hi Kyle,

I'm not sure what you can do - and I think your post might not be picked up as you have included it in this thread.

If you want people to see your post you should start a new thread and put your message there - I hope someone is able to advise you.

Cheers,

Rusty

Guest Neil5459
Hi everyone,

This may be a problem with your network? Which network are you with? Some US netwroks still use the CDMA bands, while miost now, like Europe use GSM. The 2 are not compatible. Also, some US operators use Roaming agreements if they don't have their own masts, and this can lead to rejetion of some devices if their IMEI or ESN are not recognised.