i616 / WM6.1 / No sound during calls

Guest btek

Everyone,

I bought a new i616 on the Fido network, upgraded to wm6.1, made a test phone call, and then removed the sim.

While the sim was removed I setup all the software I use (took about a week) and played around with the phone (GPS, etc) to be sure I understood it's capabilities. And that, I put the sim card back in - the phone makes and receives calls but there is no sound on any end (I cant hear them and they can't hear me).

I fixed this by doing a hard reset (with format) - immediately after the format, I tried a test call again and it worked (sound on both ends). I then proceeded to setup the phone again (this time with the sim card still in it) and at the end of installing all the software, the phone still worked.

About a day or so after the successful setup, the phone decided to stop being a phone again - no sound on either end. I didnt install any software, or mess with any settings to trigger this.

Of course a hard reset with format fixed this problem yet again.

What is going on here? (note that I found another thread on the xda forum where another Fido customer plus a Rogers customer experienced the same issue after an upgrade to WM6.1)

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

This problem has affected several other users on both the Canadian Fido and Rogers networks all with WM6.1. It turns out that if you application unlock the phone, this "no sound" situation occurs randomly. Apparently, if you wait long enough, sound will randomly reappear although I never seen this happen myself.

Just a warning to Fido/Rogers customers - if you need to application unlock you phone, do not update to WM6.1.

Just a warning to Fido/Rogers customers - if you need to application unlock you phone, do not update to WM6.1.

This happened to me with my new BJII running WM6.1 as received from Rogers. I really want the GPS capability, and it does work slick on the phone. But I need a phone that works as a phone. Anyway of dumping 6.1 and installing 6.0?

Doesn't sound like there are any other fixes to this issue.

Max

This happened to me with my new BJII running WM6.1 as received from Rogers. I really want the GPS capability, and it does work slick on the phone. But I need a phone that works as a phone. Anyway of dumping 6.1 and installing 6.0?

Doesn't sound like there are any other fixes to this issue.

Max

Unfortunately, no way to downgrade to WM6 exists. This is my first and last Samsung phone - the bluetooth doesnt connect to every bluetooth device I own, the GPS doesnt connect through a com port like almost all other GPS devices, and if you application unlock it, it sometimes stops functioning as a phone. The phone is almost a complete train wreck (I like the scroll wheel).

• 3 weeks later...
Guest greentorii

any progress on this?

i have same issue:

-i616 (fido/roger jack)

-want to get GPS working

-but app unlocker will break sound (no sound during calls) on WM6.1

i think the unlockers are only for i617 blackjack2, but not for the canadian version...

any ideas???

Guest leoquinn2001

I have also had this problem with my Rogers i616. The only fix would be a Hard Reset, but its such a pain re-installing all my apps. Luckily I keep my CAB files on my MicroSD card. Theres only 2 programs that I have to ActiveSync which is my Garmin and LEDalerts About a month ago I had to hard reset my phone about every 2 days for about 2 weeks

I am still trying to figure out the root cause of this problem. Yesterday it happened again to me so I pulled out the battery, removed the sim card, and then reinstalled everything and it worked - no hard reset required. It hasnt happened since so I havent tried the sim card removal again, so it could just be a fluke.

But, if it does turn out to be sim card related, is it possible we are using older version sim cards? The phone came with a new one but I just stuck to using my older one. What abaout everyone else - new or old sim card?

Thanks.

Guest leoquinn2001
I am still trying to figure out the root cause of this problem. Yesterday it happened again to me so I pulled out the battery, removed the sim card, and then reinstalled everything and it worked - no hard reset required. It hasnt happened since so I havent tried the sim card removal again, so it could just be a fluke.

But, if it does turn out to be sim card related, is it possible we are using older version sim cards? The phone came with a new one but I just stuck to using my older one. What abaout everyone else - new or old sim card?

Thanks.

I have had the same SIM Card for about 6 years now

I have had the same SIM Card for about 6 years now

I have the same problem with with my phone. I don't use any app. unlocker. It worked perfectly for about 3 weeks after my last reset and then it started doing it again. I have a bran new sim card that rogers gave cause they thought it was causing certain problems when I bought my phone. Usually I just turn off the phone and reboot and everything works until I get to an area where the signal cuts like in the subway and then I have to reboot again. what a pain. I would do anything to get back to WM 6.0. I don't think the 6.1 is worth the pain...lol

I received my Fido Jack preloaded with 6.1 . i application unlock it. GPS works with Garmin and GoogleMap. all the voice calls are ok. just one day, it happened NO SOUND. Then i realized, the night before, i installed few new cab. So, i recovered my backup (5min). after several tests. i can confirm it's the pTravelAlarm that causes the problem.

Btw, does anyone know how to map the "i" and "medianet" button? thx in adv.

Edited by Takobo

Guest clockwork58
I received my Fido Jack preloaded with 6.1 . i application unlock it. GPS works with Garmin and GoogleMap. all the voice calls are ok. just one day, it happened NO SOUND. Then i realized, the night before, i installed few new cab. So, i recovered my backup (5min). after several tests. i can confirm it's the pTravelAlarm that causes the problem.

Btw, does anyone know how to map the "i" and "medianet" button? thx in adv.

I installed a whole bunch of apps onto my gf's rogers bj2 (with 6.1) such as:

App unlocker w/gps, led alerts, no data app, increase ringtone size and alpha dial cheatsheet.

She has has the phone for 5 days now, uses it alot and has only got the NO Sound problem to show up once. And that was after

I installed everything. Turned the phone on/off and it fixed the problem.

For Takobo:

Is this what you are looking for?

http://www.myblackjack2.com/hacks-and-mods...v-hard-buttons/

That's interesting. I myself have a Samsung I616 (fido) upgraded to 6.1 manually. I'm using the the GPS (garmin) and I'm not experiencing any of these problems... I don't think it's from the App unlocker, could be i'm wrong though...