Got my new Diamond.. Have question?

Guest randy_c

Guest randy_c

I have couple of questions and this is my new phone.

1. The phone seems slow and what I have for ROM. Do I need an update and please show me how..

R 1.00.25.08

G 52.33a.25.17

D 1.93.00.00

2. I got error message "low memory usage" all the time but nothing was running???????

Thank you

RC

Guest Neil5459

1. The phone seems slow and what I have for ROM. Do I need an update and please show me how..

R 1.00.25.08

G 52.33a.25.17

D 1.93.00.00

2. I got error message "low memory usage" all the time but nothing was running???????

Thank you

RC

You do have the latest official ROM versions, so it ought to be running quite well.

The memory message is odd if nothing is running. Look in Start/Settings/System/Memory and let us know what it says there. There are 2 types of memory- Storage Memory for storing programs and user files, and Program Memory for executing programs and the OS. The former can get low if you inadvertantly copy large media files to the device, rather than the 4GB Internal Storage; it can also get eaten up by Pocket Internet Explorer or Opera cache files.

Program memory is used by running apps, which generally don't unload when you stop them, as the OS is designed to keep apps running in the background till memory is needed, at which point it will theoretically shut down the least used, but this function does not work well; There is also a small memory leak somewhere in the Diamond, which means memory gets used and cannot be recovered. The way around that is to do a soft reset once every couple of days (push the red button just inside the stylus silo, with the tip of the stylus)

Guest estechco

R 1.00.25.08

G 52.33a.25.17

D 1.93.00.00

Thank you

RC

I'm not the best person to answer the ROM query, although I suspect the first question will be what network are you on? It seems like you are way ahead of me, being on T-Mo, but they are one of the few not to have released an official update yet (although another thread suggests that might be about to change).

In terms of low memory, have you done much in the way of web browsing? You may need to go into the Opera settings->privacy menu and delete the history and cache. Doing so is likely to free up quite a lot. Mine is showing around 58% after a normal morning reboot with around 12-13Mb of storage free.