Newbie Email Sync question

Guest HowardB

Guest HowardB

Hi,

I've just got a XDA Ignito for a works phone, so have decided to set it up to work with my works email.

I configured the device using the Outlook Email. Everything works well and i can receive/send email on my Ignito. I use POP3 and email is downloaded from the server by either the Ignito or laptop (my main computer).

When i sync the two devices i see all the mail that i have worked on from the Ignito arriving on my laptop and vice-versa, so i have the same mail on both devices.

I thought that i would then be able to delete the email from the Ignito to save space and keep the only copy on my laptop, but i see that it is also deleted from the Laptop, which i dont want.

Is it not possible to delete a message on the Ignito but keep it on the laptop, or is this just going against what syncronization does (which i expect is the case!)

Guest awarner (MVP)

Check the Activesync settings for your mail, you can set it up so the phone replaces information on the pc or the pc replaced information on the phone.

I can not remember the exact wording off hand and the pc at work does not have Activesync so I can not check.

Or are you using an Exchange server?

Guest HowardB

Where do i check the Activesync settings you reference? All the menus i see relating to Activesync dont mention anything like which device replaces what.

I'm not using Exchange server. Our email is hosted off site and i just log on to an IP address using POP3/SMTP to access mail.

I'm happy with being able to grab email on my mobile that my laptop hasnt seen. Later syncing up to ensure there is a copy on my laptop of the emails the phone downloaded from the server. However, i'd like to be able to delete the mail on the mobile but not on the laptop as the laptop is my master copy of all mails.