UNLOCKING CDMA I910 GPS - please help us!

Guest aleis

Guest JASTECH

M Moogle, That was MY BEDROOM!....j/k...I had to. I wonder if I can package it into IGO8 so that the IGO8 install will keep it going and a consistent lock? If the communication to the GPS chip is 24/7 then the pathway should remain open so a 3rd party proggy can be used. I will work on it and see what I can come up with.

Thanks, JASTECH ô¿ô

Guest M Moogle

Even if it was possible to keep the GPStest program open in the background, we're going to run into the same problem of the coordinate info being encrypted I think. From what I understand the GPSTEST program handles this internally. But the fact that its working seems to indicate Verizon hasn't changed the way they lock down the GPS in any significant way. Unfortunately there must be some subtle differnce the way that GPSTEST and Gpsproxy handle the unlocking, and only Skywing can tell us what that is.

Guest finaldestiny

Maybe this has been covered before, but wouldn't it be possible to do this by swapping out some .dll files or the driver from the i900 gps chips and use those? A registry change may be in need afterward but from what I see, replacing the verizon files all together should work :|

Guest thesank
Even if it was possible to keep the GPStest program open in the background, we're going to run into the same problem of the coordinate info being encrypted I think. From what I understand the GPSTEST program handles this internally. But the fact that its working seems to indicate Verizon hasn't changed the way they lock down the GPS in any significant way. Unfortunately there must be some subtle differnce the way that GPSTEST and Gpsproxy handle the unlocking, and only Skywing can tell us what that is.

It's almost as if Skywing already has:

http://www.uninformed.org/?v=10&a=4&t=txt

Guest Apo11on
It's almost as if Skywing already has:

http://www.uninformed.org/?v=10&a=4&t=txt

whoever can contact skywing on xda-developer forums or elsewhere should mention to skywing there is a large group of Verizion's Omnia enthusiasts, who are missing disabled GPS functionality on their devices and they would like to buy him a brand new, contract free Samsung Omnia SCH-i910 to play with, for no apparent reason. That person should ask skywing how would he feel about that

Edited by Apo11on

Guest MrBlack
whoever can contact skywing on xda-developer forums or elsewhere should mention to skywing there is a large group of Verizion's Omnia enthusiasts, who are missing disabled GPS functionality on their devices and they would like to buy him a brand new, contract free Samsung Omnia SCH-i910 to play with, for no apparent reason. That person should ask skywing how would he feel about that

he knows...any he doesnt want to help...i dont know how much/if any one offered him cash, but he didnt didnt interested

Guest pazminoj
he knows...any he doesnt want to help...i dont know how much/if any one offered him cash, but he didnt didnt interested

How many I910 users are there? I'm sure there are at least 20 of us. Someone get a count of how many of us there are and let's crunch some numbers to make it worth his while. If there are 50 of us in here at $20 each, that's $1000

Guest krelvinaz
How many I910 users are there? I'm sure there are at least 20 of us. Someone get a count of how many of us there are and let's crunch some numbers to make it worth his while. If there are 50 of us in here at $20 each, that's $1000

I have already pledged $50US

Guest supermom1

i haven't been active in this post (to dumb about this stuff) but have been following it close and you can count on me for a donation.

Hi I’m new to the topic but count on me

I’m in :rolleyes:

i'll donate too for this project :rolleyes:

HOLD ON!!

we already have someone making a custom rom for us!

unlocked gps

more program memory

faster phones etc etc!

a group of people from modaco, ppcgeek and xda developers

if anything we need to donate to them!

follow along, from what i gather he got his phone yesterday so should be posting...ANYTIME NOW!

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=48337&page=1

Edited by aleis

Guest angel12

HOLD ON!!

unlocked gps

more program memory

faster phones etc etc!

follow along, from what i gather he got his phone yesterday so should be posting...ANYTIME NOW!

yeah, i started the project here. but read the thread, ive hit a roadblock.

Guest krelvinaz

HOLD ON!!

unlocked gps

more program memory

faster phones etc etc!

While encouraging to see, I see that as a totally separate project.

It is one thing to load an application that unlocks GPS on a stock Verizon Omnia ROM and quite another to blow out the Stock ROM and load another one. The level of risk is much much higher. While I am interested in a replacement ROM, I'm sure that many would prefer to just unlock the GPS.

This thread is about Unlocking the GPS, not replacing the ROM.

Guest maldonj1

ok we already know vznav unlocks the gps and relocks it when closed, is there a way to hack vznav executable to do nothing when closed and leave the gps unlocked, then uninstall vznav and walla there you have it, let the prog thats causing the problem fix it. just a thought

Guest budabing103

somebody please tell me how you got externel gps and enhanced gps icons to show up in the settings. somehow i'm just not seeing how or where aleis got that to show up, is it in a different thread?

Edit: nevermind the external gps icon, figured it out. Did anyone get the enhanced gps setting to show up?

Edited by budabing103

Guest JASTECH

If we have communication to the GPS driver using this syntax:

HANDLE GPSOpenDevice(

HANDLE hNewLocationData,

HANDLE hDeviceStateChange,

const WCHAR *szDeviceName,

DWORD dwFlags

);

I think this would be the correct signal from the driver for location and changes made by moving about. To write it to use any 3rd party software would take more time then just isolating a single.

Thanks, JASTECH ô¿ô

Guest GSBJackson

It is one thing to load an application that unlocks GPS on a stock Verizon Omnia ROM and quite another to blow out the Stock ROM and load another one. The level of risk is much much higher. While I am interested in a replacement ROM, I'm sure that many would prefer to just unlock the GPS.

I agree... I'm only interested in unlocking the GPS, and NOT replacing the ROM unless it's determined that's the ONLY way. Count me in on a donation to whoever unlocks the GPS.

Guest budabing103
I agree... I'm only interested in unlocking the GPS, and NOT replacing the ROM unless it's determined that's the ONLY way. Count me in on a donation to whoever unlocks the GPS.

ditto....50 bucks to the man that gets it done with an app. i for one like vznavigator in the cities sometimes, but need googlemaps or livesearch in rural areas, also like delormes topo, WANT ACCESS TO THAT GPS!!!

well, based on the new information I AGREE!

Guest nexvision
I'll hold everyone's donation until we convince skywing, if you want.

Im pretty sure he doesn't have a Omnia last he told me he had a TouchPRO so I think he would need the device before he could do it unless what he figures out on TP works for the Omnia as well. I am testing couple things as well but I am no expert with GPS.