UNLOCKING CDMA I910 GPS - please help us!

Guest aleis

will someone wind up creating a .cab file for those who cannot manually get it to work?

im having trouble with mine, have the gpstest downloaded, always get failed to initialize gpssec, and i do not see the gpssrv.exe, stdgps.dll, gpsapi.dll files anywhere, but i do see oemgpsone but it will not allow me to rename it or copy it to gpsserver folder i created. and if there will be no such file created to do all this its self, will someone please help me out, without getting frustrated?

also i see oemcameracapture.dll, and oeminfo, in my file explorer, which were not there till i downloaded gpstest

will someone wind up creating a .cab file for those who cannot manually get it to work?

im having trouble with mine, have the gpstest downloaded, always get failed to initialize gpssec, and i do not see the gpssrv.exe, stdgps.dll, gpsapi.dll files anywhere, but i do see oemgpsone but it will not allow me to rename it or copy it to gpsserver folder i created. and if there will be no such file created to do all this its self, will someone please help me out, without getting frustrated?

also i see oemcameracapture.dll, and oeminfo, in my file explorer, which were not there till i downloaded gpstest

yeah dude...we need a cab!

we will pay!!

So in order for google maps to work the oemgpsone.dll, stdgps.dll, and gpsapi.dll must be in \Windows

...where do I get those file from? and GPStest must run...?

Why google maps needs internet connection if it uses gps, every time I load maps my pda/phone dials #777

Thanks.

Guest M Moogle

So bad news, now I can't get it working right either :rolleyes: . It worked fine last night, but now all I can get it to do is pull up the coordinates of my house - even if I'm at work. It must be caching something somewhere... Obviously something works right sometimes, as I could get it going last night after a soft-reset. I'm stumped at the moment.

Guest paradizelost
So bad news, now I can't get it working right either :rolleyes: . It worked fine last night, but now all I can get it to do is pull up the coordinates of my house - even if I'm at work. It must be caching something somewhere... Obviously something works right sometimes, as I could get it going last night after a soft-reset. I'm stumped at the moment.

I'm able to get gpstest to work just fine almost every time, however haven't once managed to get maps or live to work. Having gpstest working though is still a huge step forward, and i think in a few days tops it should be do-able. Obviousely you guys had it, so it should be just a matter of a step by step once we figure out the difference. You didnt happen to have some DLL's from vznav in the way that would have done the decrypting for you would you?

Guest bwonish
yeah how do you overwrite the system files without extracting the rom?

If you are having trouble overwriting the files, you probably did what i did first, and that is that you are using the stock file explorer that comes with the phone. When using the normal file explorer, i couldn't overwrite the files.

I downloaded a different program, Total Commander, which is just a souped up file explorer and it will let you copy and paste the files as needed.

Guest paradizelost

Although it didn't do me any good to do the overwrite as i was still unable to get things to work, so i'd recommend we wait until one who has got it working has luck again.

Thanks!

Guest bwonish

Sounds like you have a couple things that needed to be fixed. First, if you can't see some of the files that were in the .rar file, and you copied all of them to the phone, then when you are in the folder explorer, click on the menu button and select "show all files." The other files should show up now.

If you are getting the failed to initialize the gpssec, according to earlier posts, you are trying to run the program multiple times. To fix it, you have to soft reset, open up the Gpstest program one time, and let it sit for anywhere from 30 secs to a minute, in my experience, and it will eventually start running. If you get impatient and try to hit open or run the program a second time, you will get that error message and have to start over with the soft reset.

Guest Dan Finn
under hklm\controlPanel \gps settings

change whats there "i believe it is redirect" to:

Dshow 1(0x000001)

it is also posted in this thread how to do it...

well...glad i started this but you guys truly are master! :rolleyes:

im soooo lost with what you are doing.

when i get my life settle again im going to start from the beginning of this thread an see if i can figure things out.

thats if you guys dont already have it cracked of course :)

OK, I'm missing something simple here. I still can't even get the external GPS icon to show under Settings:Connections. I have attached a snapshot of the HKLM\Control Panel\GPS Settings as well as of the settings:connections page.

TIA

csettings_connections.bmp

hklm_controlpanel_gpssettings.bmp

Guest krelvinaz
Why google maps needs internet connection if it uses gps, every time I load maps my pda/phone dials #777

Two reasons... GoogleMaps, gets its maps from the Internet... it doesn't have them stored on your device...

The second reason is the GPS. When it starts it makes a connection to obtain the aGPS data so that it can get a quick fix otherwise it would be like a cold GPS startup each time which could take a long time to get located and started. The software that uses GPS has aGPS assist which requires a network connection.

Guest Paul (MVP)

Can I be of help here?

Lost track a bit, but the easiest way to put files in \Windows and reg settings in (for the External GPS icon) is with a CAB. If someone points me to what needs CABbing up, i'll rustle one up...

P

Guest krelvinaz
Was the Garmin GPS thing a red herring? GPSgate - http://franson.com/gpsgate/ - can take a Garmin input a output a standard NMEA GPS output (i.e. for normal apps to use)...

P

Actually, I am hoping that when the GPS is useable to be using gpsgate with it. That what I used on my previous phone to collect the coordinates along with other data from a BT device and send to my server for data collection.

GPSgate would use the WM managed GPS port to get the data from

Can I be of help here?

Lost track a bit, but the easiest way to put files in \Windows and reg settings in (for the External GPS icon) is with a CAB. If someone points me to what needs CABbing up, i'll rustle one up...

P

paul rocks! :)

cab it for us man!

well...once we figure out what needs to be cabbed...M MOOGLE!

:(

this is progress i can feel!! :rolleyes:

Guest krelvinaz
but the easiest way to put files in \Windows and reg settings in (for the External GPS icon) is with a CAB. If someone points me to what needs CABbing up, i'll rustle one up...

P

Paul,

Making the External GPS show up is pretty simple:

Modify the HKLM -> controlPanel -> GPS Settings

Remove Redirect entry.

As for the other stuff, I tried it and didn't get it working so I suspect there is something currently being left out that M Moogle did to get it working. So I think we need to get a process that can be done over for verification first.

Kind of off topic...

BTW... I have 3 weeks of vacation... and want to try my hand at some WM6 development. I've got Studio Net Pro 2005 and can upgrade to 2008 if needed or get something else, what other tools would you suggest to get started. I've done lots of system development but not with windows development tools, Studio Net or related stuff, more of an old time C programmer.

You can PM me rather than replying in the forum if you like. Thanks.

Edited by krelvinaz

Guest Michaelk2
OK, I'm SOOOOOOOOO close I can taste it - I've gotten Google Maps to successfully talk to the GPSServer application, have the GPSServer application establish a connection with the GPS hardware, talk to the AGPS servers and then... it dies :rolleyes:

Heres what I've done (thanks to hints from everyone in this thread):

- The oemgpsone.dll and gpsapi.dll files are different on the Omnia than the XV6800 - so following the logic that Skywing did I

- Dumped and extracted the Omnia's rom to get it's oemgpsone.dll and gpsapi.dll files,

- Copied/renamed gpsapi.dll to stdgps.dll and put it in the GPSServer directory (and \Windows)

- Hex-edited oemgpsone.dll to reference stdgps.dll and not gpsapi.dll (like the file included with GPSServer), copied it to GPSServer directory and \Windows (overwriting the XIP file)

- Put the GPSAPI.dll that comes with GPSServer in \Windows (overwriting the XIP file)

- Poked around in the GPSServer.exe and noticed that by creating a registry string called "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Valhalla Legends\GPSServer\ServerLogFile" the program will create a debug dump - I put it in \gpslog.txt

- Soft-reset

- When I fire up Google Maps (or Live Search) I can see the phone creating a data connection to talk to the AGPS servers, but a location is never reported. The GPSTest application still works, which is more than what I ever got to happen before when messing around with dll files.

Heres what my debug gpslog.txt contained (with encryption keys changed since I'm not sure if I should be posting them):

Handling key challenge...

Device challenge:

(Hex string goes here)

DeriveKeyFromChallenge: Challenge is:

(Hex string goes here)									  

TransformChallenge: Initial challenge:

(Hex string goes here)										

TransformChallenge: Transformed challenge:

(Hex string goes here)											 

DeriveKeyFromChallenge - Done!

User challenge:

(Hex string goes here) 

Key challenge finished.

First challenge passed!

Configuring PDE information...

gpsOne initialized!

GPSSec initialized (fix interval 1000), beginning initial position fix.

oGPSSetDeviceParam( GPS_DEVICE_PARAM_GPS_START_FIX ) failed - 00000006

Entering main GPSSec polling loop (event = C4D690CE)...

oGPSGetPosition failed - 2000010d

Device context is stale, re-creating...

SecurityChallengeThread exiting

Creating new device context...

Security challenge thread failed to exchange initial challenge.

InitializeSecurity() failed

Failed to reinitialize device context.

Server exiting due to timeout.

Server finished shutting down.

It looks like GPSServer is successfully unlocking/handshaking with the hardware, but then has issues getting a position report - GRRRR!

starting over-

check out the read me in the zip

you are correct to copy gpsapi.dll to gpsserver folder and call it stdgps.

but the oemgpsone.dll in the server zip is modified (I think it takes over the function that the lbs dll's do becasue the lbs dll wont kick in without a signed app provided by vz.

So you can NOT replace the oemgpsone.dll from the zip with the stock one.

try using the zip's oemgpsone.dll in the gpsserver and see what you get

Edited by Michaelk2

alright yall, i was able to run gps test, and get the files posted in the rar file. i downloaded a program called 7-zip online to my pc and extracted the files from the rar, and dragged them to the windows folder and gpsserver, unfortunately i could not overwrite the gpsapi.dll in to the windows folder--if anyone can assist me in doing this if necessary, id appreciate it. also cannot lock any satellites in googlemaps or live

My first post here gentleman, but to be sure I'll undertake quite a bit of late night reading within this forum. Of course I have an i910, and have made one attempt to reg hack the GPS into freedom, leading to a hard reset of my device. My most sincere thank you to those who are working on this.

Guest Michaelk2

for those who can't copy over the windows file with the stock filke explorer.

Reame the file first so the name is slightly different then the stock dll.

then move it to the windows folder.

then rename.

might need to soft reset.

so example you want to overwrite a file called stock.dll found in the windows directory with a file called stock.dll found in the gpsserver directory.

navigate to the gpsserver directory.

rename the file to stockZ.dll (windows file explorer will usually just not even show the .dll part)

move that file to windows directory

once in the windows directory rename stockz.dll to stock.dll

done.

in theory- deleting stock.dll from windows will delete the new file and the one in the rom will show back up, but I seem to need to hard reset sometimes to clear it.

So if you are going to do a lot of mucking - first thing you probably want to copy the stock.dll in windows and then paste it right in windows. That will create a file called something like "copy of stock.dll". If you want to revert you can then just rename that to stock.dll and it will fix everything.