UNLOCKING CDMA I910 GPS - please help us!

Guest aleis

Guest Michaelk2
Looks like that is the one for the XV6800, it will NOT work for the Omnia 910. Here's the link to where M Moogle posted it.

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=946071

Read the white paper- read my posts, and read the readme in the zip I posted. (I am not any expert but those are the documents)

The files are all the same from the 6800 version. EXCEPT you guys need to take the gpsapi.dll from your actual device and copy it to the gpsserver directory and rename it stdgps.dll.

that's the starting point to see if the valhalla server will work or not on your devices or if you need to fiddle with them.

You can't use M Moogle's files as - if I am reading correctly he is using the STOCK oemgpsone.dll instead of the oemgpsone.dll included in the zip that the gpsserver.exe and modifides gpsapi.dll need to work.

Guest pjsockett
OK, I'm SOOOOOOOOO close I can taste it - I've gotten Google Maps to successfully talk to the GPSServer application, have the GPSServer application establish a connection with the GPS hardware, talk to the AGPS servers and then... it dies :rolleyes:

Heres what I've done (thanks to hints from everyone in this thread):

- The oemgpsone.dll and gpsapi.dll files are different on the Omnia than the XV6800 - so following the logic that Skywing did I

- Dumped and extracted the Omnia's rom to get it's oemgpsone.dll and gpsapi.dll files,

- Copied/renamed gpsapi.dll to stdgps.dll and put it in the GPSServer directory (and \Windows)

- Hex-edited oemgpsone.dll to reference stdgps.dll and not gpsapi.dll (like the file included with GPSServer), copied it to GPSServer directory and \Windows (overwriting the XIP file)

- Put the GPSAPI.dll that comes with GPSServer in \Windows (overwriting the XIP file)

- Poked around in the GPSServer.exe and noticed that by creating a registry string called "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Valhalla Legends\GPSServer\ServerLogFile" the program will create a debug dump - I put it in \gpslog.txt

- Soft-reset

- When I fire up Google Maps (or Live Search) I can see the phone creating a data connection to talk to the AGPS servers, but a location is never reported. The GPSTest application still works, which is more than what I ever got to happen before when messing around with dll files.

Read the white paper- read my posts, and read the readme in the zip I posted. (I am not any expert but those are the documents)

The files are all the same from the 6800 version. EXCEPT you guys need to take the gpsapi.dll from your actual device and copy it to the gpsserver directory and rename it stdgps.dll.

that's the starting point to see if the valhalla server will work or not on your devices or if you need to fiddle with them.

You can't use M Moogle's files as - if I am reading correctly he is using the STOCK oemgpsone.dll instead of the oemgpsone.dll included in the zip that the gpsserver.exe and modifides gpsapi.dll need to work.

Unless I read his post wrong, M Moogles starting point is exactly as you stated it should be.

Guest paradizelost

I figured he was the main one who got it to work, so he must have been doing something correct. I'll try with that method and see if it works. thanks!

Guest bwonish
OK, I'm missing something simple here. I still can't even get the external GPS icon to show under Settings:Connections. I have attached a snapshot of the HKLM\Control Panel\GPS Settings as well as of the settings:connections page.

TIA

To get it to show up, delete all of them, except for the "Redirect" entry. Then go in and change "Redirect" to "Dshow" and the value to 2. It should then show up.

Guest M Moogle
Unless I read his post wrong, M Moogles starting point is exactly as you stated it should be.

The oemgpsOne.dll in the .rar I uploaded isn't stock - its modified in the same way that the oemgpsOne.dll was modified for the XV6800 afaik. I'll double-check when I get home to make sure I'm not remembering wrong, but the only difference between the XV6800's stock oemgpsOne.dll and the one included with GPSServer was that it was edited to reference stdgps.dll and not gpsapi.dll. I did a binary compare between the two files and this was the only difference. This makes sense if you think about it as oemgpsOne.dll references gpsapi.dll. But gpaspi.dll has been replaced with the GPSServer wrapper dll, so it won't work. That's why the original gpsapi.dll is coped to some other filename (in this stdgps.dll) and oemgpsOne.dll is modified to reference it - this way it will still work and VZNav and anything else using oemgpsOne as an interface doesn't know the difference.

Quoting from Skywing's documentation:

The most straightforward solution to the former issue is to simply rename a

copy of the stock gpsapi.dll, and then modify oemgpsOne.dll to refer to the

renamed gpsapi.dll. This opens the door to replacing the system-supplied

gpsapi.dll with a custom replacement gpsapi.dll implementing a client for

oemgpsOne.dll.

I've still been unable to get my phone to report my actual location outside of GPSTest - it still thinks that I'm at my house when I tell apps to connect to the GPS - I don't understand why this is happening.

Edited by M Moogle

Guest Lennyk1313

Here is an e-mail responce that I received from Verizon:

"Thank you for your recent e mail regarding the GPS functionality in the new Samsung Omnia.

Verizon Wireless, like all carriers, orders devices to meet certain specifications inclusive of features. Each of these specifications is tested to determine if it meets our performance goals. There are instances when the phone will pass our extensive testing process but a specific feature may not meet the standard. We will often choose to introduce the phone without that feature but ask that the manufacturer come back to us with revised software that has to be tested to make sure the service works the same across our entire wireless footprint --from Maine to Hawaii. In the case of open standalone GPS, we are partnering with the Windows Mobile device manufacturers to provide a software upgrade that will add this capability to the existing assisted GPS capability. This is a complex development project to provide open standalone GPS while maintaining the assisted GPS capability with the level of performance and security that our customers expect. The recently introduced Windows Mobile devices including the Omnia, Saga, and Touch Pro are targeted to add open standalone GPS in the 1st half of 2009."

So looks like they might open it up after all. In the mean time thanks to everyone who is contributing to this thread. I am sure it will be working for us before Verizon Releases their promised fix.

Guest bwonish

Guys, can you clear up one thing, the folder \windows\GPSServer, are we supposed to create it, or on your phones, has it been created by running/installing a program? That folder simply didn't exist on my phone, unless i manually create it.

Guest paradizelost
Guys, can you clear up one thing, the folder \windows\GPSServer, are we supposed to create it, or on your phones, has it been created by running/installing a program? That folder simply didn't exist on my phone, unless i manually create it.

you create it, and it is NOT in \windows, it is in \program files

Guest paradizelost

"Thank you for your recent e mail regarding the GPS functionality in the new Samsung Omnia.

Verizon Wireless, like all carriers, orders devices to meet certain specifications inclusive of features. Each of these specifications is tested to determine if it meets our performance goals. There are instances when the phone will pass our extensive testing process but a specific feature may not meet the standard. We will often choose to introduce the phone without that feature but ask that the manufacturer come back to us with revised software that has to be tested to make sure the service works the same across our entire wireless footprint --from Maine to Hawaii. In the case of open standalone GPS, we are partnering with the Windows Mobile device manufacturers to provide a software upgrade that will add this capability to the existing assisted GPS capability. This is a complex development project to provide open standalone GPS while maintaining the assisted GPS capability with the level of performance and security that our customers expect. The recently introduced Windows Mobile devices including the Omnia, Saga, and Touch Pro are targeted to add open standalone GPS in the 1st half of 2009."

So looks like they might open it up after all. In the mean time thanks to everyone who is contributing to this thread. I am sure it will be working for us before Verizon Releases their promised fix.

That does look hopeful, but would have been nice if they hadn't LOCKED IT IN THE FIRST PLACE!!! ugh....

Guest GeoAimNet

I sent some e-mails to Verizon and here is what i got today from an executive at Verizon. Notice the Last line of the e-mail. Also note that a civil suit starts in January of 2009. They know they cannot lock it down legally. Most of the E-mail is BS.

Verizon Wireless, like all carriers, orders devices to meet certain specifications inclusive of features. Each of these specifications is tested to determine if it meets our performance goals. There are instances when the phone will pass our extensive testing process but a specific feature may not meet the standard. We will often choose to introduce the phone without that feature but ask that the manufacturer come back to us with revised software that has to be tested to make sure the service works the same across our entire wireless footprint --from Maine to Hawaii. In the case of open standalone GPS, we are partnering with the Windows Mobile device manufacturers to provide a software upgrade that will add this capability to the existing assisted GPS capability. This is a complex development project to provide open standalone GPS while maintaining the assisted GPS capability with the level of performance and security that our customers expect. The recently introduced Windows Mobile devices including the Omnia, Saga, and Touch Pro are targeted to add open standalone GPS in the 1st half of 2009.

Guest M Moogle
I've still been unable to get my phone to report my actual location outside of GPSTest - it still thinks that I'm at my house when I tell apps to connect to the GPS - I don't understand why this is happening.

Duh.. I'm dumb. In the the registry there are values for - guess what - cachedposition and cachedpositiontime. Now that I cleared those out I'm back to it being unable to find a location in Google Maps. I wish I could figure out what the hell I did last night to make it work. It might have been a combination of trying to get a location in Google Maps and launching GPSTest at the same time...

Guest Paul (MVP)

Crazy idea, how about we get our best effort so far in a CAB for people to install, then maybe have a session in the MoDaCo Palringo room tomorrow or something to try and thrash out some ideas and make some progress in realtime?

P

Guest Michaelk2
The oemgpsOne.dll in the .rar I uploaded isn't stock - its modified in the same way that the oemgpsOne.dll was modified for the XV6800 afaik. I'll double-check when I get home to make sure I'm not remembering wrong, but the only difference between the XV6800's stock oemgpsOne.dll and the one included with GPSServer was that it was edited to reference stdgps.dll and not gpsapi.dll. I did a binary compare between the two files and this was the only difference. This makes sense if you think about it as oemgpsOne.dll references gpsapi.dll. But gpaspi.dll has been replaced with the GPSServer wrapper dll, so it won't work. That's why the original gpsapi.dll is coped to some other filename (in this stdgps.dll) and oemgpsOne.dll is modified to reference it - this way it will still work and VZNav and anything else using oemgpsOne as an interface doesn't know the difference.

ahhh....

thanks for explaining the changes to oemgpsone.

that goes a LONG way!

Guest Michaelk2

a little bird under NDA told me the same exact thing- so i think it's true.

Guest pjsockett

@M Moogle

When did you dump your rom. The fact that you have a gpsserver folder would imply that you installed the valhalla cab. If you dumped the rom with the cab installed wouldn't the extracted gpsapi actually be the one from valhalla not the stock dll?

Guest somedude

This was a load of hot steaming crap.

Verizon doesnt care about the making sure the gps service is tested, they want you to use their app and their app only so they could get paid.

But since they have had CLASS ACTION LAWSUITS filed against them, now they want to save their a$$ by opening up the gps to everyone.

I HATE verizon.

Edited by somedude

"Thank you for your recent e mail regarding the GPS functionality in the new Samsung Omnia........

I just got the same stock email that I assume was put together and mass replied to all of us who complained.

Can some one send me or post a link with a copy of the i900 and i910 rom.  I would like to compare the difference between the two.  I'm thinking the solution will be in the difference between the two roms.  Someone post them and I'll see what I can discover.

Guest JASTECH

somedude, You are correct. They always give that speech of "It's a security issue"...."Verizon does tests that it has to pass" ect. It's a load of hog wash. When you call and ask these questions they have their memo that was given to them how they are to answer certain questions. Then so many are Verizon Washed like happy little robots and believe what that memo says or what their meetings say. I like the 'It's the first time I have heard about the i760 screen cracking", "The XV6700 is the best phone and never been any problems that Verizon is aware of" "Sir, Verizon does not lock up the GPS, VZ Navigator is what I use and it's great". Then they get out of work and go back to their cages until the next day they are needed to regurgitate the lies.

Thanks, JASTECH ô¿ô