UNLOCKING CDMA I910 GPS - please help us!

Guest aleis

i too have downloaded it and installed it. i get the same "seeking GPS satellites (0)..." as i did before.

the GPSID settings are:

Program Port:

COM8 (and i tried COM4)

Hardware Port:

(none)

Baud Rate:

Manage auto: checked

...please help... this is the best phone ever, but GPS would be nice

i completely agree!

everything else is perfect but GPS...

my report, i used windows live and i did get a step closer...now when i ask it to center on gps, the arrow pops up and it looks as if its going to connect!

BUT IT DOESNT!

im reading the forum for this latest app and hopefully i`ll get something out of there...

its like its about to connect but...it just will not!

it apparently is even interacting with the gps!

i called verizon about the GPs they told me to call samsung..so im about to call them in the next hour. i`ll report back of course.

Guest syrguy1969

Eagerly awaiting results on this 'fix' I would try it now, but I can't download at work....I will try it tonight if nobody comes back with results!!!!

Thanks for the heads-up!!!!

Guest Paul (MVP)

Use a baud rate of 4800, and remember that if the hardware is in there, it can still take a while to get a first fix!

Try installing CamerAware - http://www.cameraware.net/cameraware.cab (on device install) or http://www.cameraware.net/setup.exe - giving it a good view of the sky, hit connect, and then see how many satellites it says. If it shows '0 of 0 - No Fix' we have a problem, but anything else and it might well work...

P

firemedic,

I see you have been active over at XDA as well. I spoke to skywing over there and he is not interested in helping us get the GPS cracked on our Omnia's B) So...... I am still awaiting mine in the mail but hopefully with time more folks will get the phone who actually want to unlock the GPS. I don't have the knowledge to do it myself but I have a few things I plan on trying once I get it but I doubt they will work.

firemedic,

I see you have been active over at XDA as well. I spoke to skywing over there and he is not interested in helping us get the GPS cracked on our Omnia's B) So...... I am still awaiting mine in the mail but hopefully with time more folks will get the phone who actually want to unlock the GPS. I don't have the knowledge to do it myself but I have a few things I plan on trying once I get it but I doubt they will work.

just wanted to let you guys know over here:

(posted in our forum at howardsforum.com/the official samsung omnia i910 release thread)

EXPOSED!

VZnavigator definitely does it! smile.gif

i get a lock on a satelite in live search but...like the poster above me said, it doesnt render an image. it does not pull up a map...it has the red arrow showing that it has a lock but nothing else!

also i noticed, when i use my gps toggle program, vznav says that it is unable to communicate with a satelite!

and my gps toggle program acts like its going to lock a satelite. but it doesnt.

so apparently one program at a time (sound familiar to some maybe???) so now its in the gps intermediate driver setting to split the gps port...not sure how to do this YET!

but i will be researching tonight (CAN SOMEONE HELP! smile.gif ).

progress!!! smile.gif

so the VZnavigator enables the GPS. now the test will be, if we delete the vznav program will that block it again....

plus we have to make the gps intermediate driver read and write the gps data...anybody know how to do that?

i read how to do it before...i hope i dont have to search for it again on msdn B)

Guest somedude

This is so stupid. I HATE verizon for doing this.

WHY was it so hard for them to leave the GOTDAMMED phone alone?!?!

Edited by somedude

So where are we at with this? I'm sure we can get it working... B)

P

I think we need someone to create a custom ROM for the i910 but take the GPS drivers/values from the 900 if it uses the same GPSone chipset. If not we may be able to take these from the 6800 as I know it uses a GPSone chipset. Who here has the knowledge to create a clean ROM for our i910 to help enable GPS?

Use a baud rate of 4800, and remember that if the hardware is in there, it can still take a while to get a first fix!

Try installing CamerAware - http://www.cameraware.net/cameraware.cab (on device install) or http://www.cameraware.net/setup.exe - giving it a good view of the sky, hit connect, and then see how many satellites it says. If it shows '0 of 0 - No Fix' we have a problem, but anything else and it might well work...

P

I installed camerAware

when i hit connect nothing happens, all the fields remain blank.

the gps settings is greyed out

i had an unexpected error and crash when i tried to Navigation sync now

still no gps.... good thing i already know how to get home

Guest somedude

this 'gps disabling' has really disappointing me. I am thinking about taking the phone back because of this.

DO YOU HEAR THAT VERIZON! YOURE GOING TO LOSE CUSTOMERS BECAUSE OF YOUR GREED! NO ONE WANTS TO PAY 9.99 A MONTH TO USE YOUR STUPID NAVIGATION!

this 'gps disabling' has really disappointing me. I am thinking about taking the phone back because of this.

DO YOU HEAR THAT VERIZON! YOURE GOING TO LOSE CUSTOMERS BECAUSE OF YOUR GREED! NO ONE WANTS TO PAY 9.99 A MONTH TO USE YOUR STUPID NAVIGATION!

if all u i910 people need help to get GPS working, upload some screen shots of GPS registry settings here. so someone might be able to help.

Guest smilepak
if all u i910 people need help to get GPS working, upload some screen shots of GPS registry settings here. so someone might be able to help.

Where can one find the GPS registry settings? I can help post it when i get the phone later this week.

ALREADY ANSWERED

under hklm\controlPanel \gps settings

Dshow 1(0x000001)

thats it.

let me know if you need the gpsintermediate driver info.

Edited by aleis

ALREADY ANSWERED

Dshow 1(0x000001)

thats it.

this is what I have...

sshot008.bmp

I'm pretty new to this, so I might need some instruction on what to do next. Create the key you said? Install the intermediate driver?

thanks.

Edited by dhoppy

k, im no expert here. but compare to my i900, it looks like the COM port setting is diff, i900 is COM3, urs is COM8.

mine is: HKLM\system\currentcontrolset\GPS Intermediate Driver\Multiplexer\DriverInterface=COM3:

also,in the pic#5, try to change the COM1: to COM9:

then go to settings>external GPS>hardware, change the baud rate to 4800

copy the gps_xtra file under windows directory

hopefully it'll help.

GPS_XTRA.rar

Edited by Lancez

ALREADY ANSWERED

Dshow 1(0x000001)

thats it.

i might have missed that, here or PM B) . anyway, just posted my i900 settings.

i might have missed that, here or PM B) . anyway, just posted my i900 settings.

I changed my settings to match yours, rebooted, then went and stood outside for 6 mins. Using cameraware it connected to the GPS, but never found satellites, always said "0 of 0, no fix."

Any ideas?

I changed my settings to match yours, rebooted, then went and stood outside for 6 mins. Using cameraware it connected to the GPS, but never found satellites, always said "0 of 0, no fix."

Any ideas?

i'm not using cameraware at all, uninstall it and soft reset. then copy the GPS_Xtra.exe under windows directory and run it (im not sure if it'll appear in the setting menu, since i900 already have. w/o Xtra, it could take up to 30 min. to get satellite lock), enable everything in the Xtra and tap download. once its done(it'll show a messege) go to file explore and u'll see an Xtra file about 38.8kb in size. then use google map or live search to see if it'll work or not.

P.S. how did u guys manage to get GPS setting appeared?

i'm not using cameraware at all, uninstall it and soft reset. then copy the GPS_Xtra.exe under windows directory and run it (im not sure if it'll appear in the setting menu, since i900 already have. w/o Xtra, it could take up to 30 min. to get satellite lock), enable everything in the Xtra and tap download. once its done(it'll show a messege) go to file explore and u'll see an Xtra file about 38.8kb in size. then use google map or live search to see if it'll work or not.

P.S. how did u guys manage to get GPS setting appeared?

Will gps_extra run ok from my storage card?

I get an error trying to copy it into the windows folder.

Will gps_extra run ok from my storage card?

I get an error trying to copy it into the windows folder.

havent tried it myself, put it in my storage then rename it to anything, copy and paste to windows then rename it back to GPS_XTRA. that should work. dont forget to reset. after that, go to setting>system> and see if its there. if not, u have to run it manually.

havent tried it myself, put it in my storage then rename it to anything, copy and paste to windows then rename it back to GPS_XTRA. that should work. dont forget to reset. after that, go to setting>system> and see if its there. if not, u have to run it manually.

My problem is there is already a gps_extra.exe in the windows folder. It is 27kb instead of 60kb, and it won't run if I click on it.

Should I try to overwrite it?

My problem is there is already a gps_extra.exe in the windows folder. It is 27kb instead of 60kb, and it won't run if I click on it.

Should I try to overwrite it?

is it? i watched youtube and i didnt see Xtra in i910. the 60kb file is the new Xtra from M2D04 ROM. anyway, enable whats in there and download data then try gps again. if u wanna overwrite it, just follow my last post and it'll do it.

is it? i watched youtube and i didnt see Xtra in i910. the 60kb file is the new Xtra from M2D04 ROM. anyway, enable whats in there and download data then try gps again. if u wanna overwrite it, just follow my last post and it'll do it.

It's there if you unhide all files, but when you click on it nothing happens. When I try to overwrite it with resco, it says something like "are you sure, this file is in ROM, and if you overwrite it unmentionable things might happen."