UNLOCKING CDMA I910 GPS - please help us!

Guest aleis

Guest JDawg183
I've let it run for several minutes on a vanilla i910, nothing done but hard reset and activated but never locked on an sats just connected.

The only time I've gotten sats in view and locked was after VZ N@v was activated at least once which was is what brought me to the previous few posts of testing.

I'll have to continue in a few hours when I charge this bad boy back up... left the USB cable at home.

I have never had anything to do with VZNav on my phone, and I can get it to lock every time that it actually opens. For what it worth, I think the "sec" error might have something to do with active sync. I have a physical button assigned to task switcher and have just been ending programs through that, but active sync does not show up in there for some reason. I pulled up the task manager and ended active sync after one failure and it worked.

Guest aceofrazgriz
I have never had anything to do with VZNav on my phone, and I can get it to lock every time that it actually opens. For what it worth, I think the "sec" error might have something to do with active sync. I have a physical button assigned to task switcher and have just been ending programs through that, but active sync does not show up in there for some reason. I pulled up the task manager and ended active sync after one failure and it worked.

ended activesync and it GPSTest got sat locks?... maybe that was my problem lol i'll have to try this driving around later. i haven't done much lately (including finding other phoens with the MSM6800 chipset) but i got some time off work over the next 2 days so hopefully i'll accomplish something.

and for those that can make use of it, JDawg has mentioned uploading the stock ROM for the i910. I'll be hosting, and it will be availible to all. So hopefully someone can make good use of this.

Guest WoZZeR999
ended activesync and it GPSTest got sat locks?... maybe that was my problem lol i'll have to try this driving around later. i haven't done much lately (including finding other phoens with the MSM6800 chipset) but i got some time off work over the next 2 days so hopefully i'll accomplish something.

and for those that can make use of it, JDawg has mentioned uploading the stock ROM for the i910. I'll be hosting, and it will be availible to all. So hopefully someone can make good use of this.

I did a little research, and I think the Q9C or Q9M use the 6800 chipset. You may want to look into those and see if you can find anything.

Guest natedawg1013

Actually, I'M the one who has the rom dump. Jdawg was just quoting me. I could get them except for two things. One, my internet has a very slow upload speed. Second, murphy's laws, my computer crashed. Hope it will be fixed soon. Installed ubuntu and now Vista can't find its bootloader. Oh well. Also, before it crashed, I was poking around with some files, and found that one, not sure, but i think it was lbsdriver, interacts with a crypt32.dll. Maybe vznav passes a key to this. Who knows?! Anyway, can't do anything now. By the way, I only know C but may soon make my way up to C++ and C#, only time will tell.

Edited by natedawg1013

Guest aceofrazgriz
I did a little research, and I think the Q9C or Q9M use the 6800 chipset. You may want to look into those and see if you can find anything.

if true, thats awesome news, i believe i have a friend who has the Q9M... only i'm not sure if its the CDMA of GSM version XD

i really do think finding a phone with the same chipset will be a huge key in this as drivers and everything will be the same. In that sense i really think we'd need a Sprint phone as they allow their GPS. Again, i will be looking into this tomorrow.

Guest johnnyboy239

Hey Guys,

I've been reading and following this post since I got the phone. I wanted to first off thank everyone for all of their hard work.

So I'm running GPS test on my I910 at the moment and it's giving me nonsensical Lat and Long data

I did go into the settings and make sure it was set to Location On, and I did do the registry hack to make the GPS show up.

I have the gps program port set to Com 8 and the gps hardware port set to none and the baud rate set to 4800 Is there something

I haven't done right?

Long: -77348494478.620728 (or maybe they are switched like you said)

Lat: 2915767719.221886

Speed: 0

Heading: 0

Altitude: 9

Sats: 0 (0 in view)

Time: 00:00:00

Date: 0000-00-00

F/Q/S: 0/0/1

Thanks!

Adam

Guest DeepBlueEditor

Saw this on another forum. Samsung is set to release an SDK so maybe this is good news for us as well. Doesn't mention how deeply you can go with it but generally an SDK gets pretty deep into the systems involved. This is in a thread on being able to create new widgets.

The good news may simply be then that Samsung is opening the doors to the device, eventually.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-12261_7-10208948-51.html

Sean

Hey Verizon, we're still waiting out here.

Guest aceofrazgriz
Saw this on another forum. Samsung is set to release an SDK so maybe this is good news for us as well. Doesn't mention how deeply you can go with it but generally an SDK gets pretty deep into the systems involved. This is in a thread on being able to create new widgets.

The good news may simply be then that Samsung is opening the doors to the device, eventually.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-12261_7-10208948-51.html

Sean

Hey Verizon, we're still waiting out here.

http://innovator.samsungmobile.com/

they have an SDK out for the Omnia. People have used it for the g-sensor already. problem is, it may not have the info for the MSM6800 chipset we need, it may only have the info for the GSM chipset the i900 uses.

Guest JDawg183
Hey Guys,

I've been reading and following this post since I got the phone. I wanted to first off thank everyone for all of their hard work.

So I'm running GPS test on my I910 at the moment and it's giving me nonsensical Lat and Long data

I did go into the settings and make sure it was set to Location On, and I did do the registry hack to make the GPS show up.

I have the gps program port set to Com 8 and the gps hardware port set to none and the baud rate set to 4800 Is there something

I haven't done right?

Thanks!

Adam

Yea, it will do that sometimes, but for me, if I just wait for a few minutes leaving it running, it eventually finds some sateliites. Sometimes you have to wait for five minutes to get it to work. I also started poking around about the MSM6800, according to this thread on hofo ( http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php...ghlight=msm6800 ) the Dare also uses that chip. Dont know if that is true or not, but thats what they say. probably not helpful. There is another thread for the palm treo 800 that says they think that one has it too. Just something to look into

Guest aceofrazgriz

yeah, i just found the treo 800 and htc mogul (both sprint) use the same chipset.

now we need to find a friendly person who can share their GPS files with us lol.

i got stuck babysitting for a bit but i'll keep seeing what i can find. hit up some sprint forums or XDA about those phones and the files.

Guest WhoTheHellAmI
Hey Guys,

I haven't done right?

Thanks!

Adam

Do you have a clear view of the sky? Even though it comes up with coordinates, That is the assisted part of the system...if you have few towers nearby it cannot show exact coordinates until you get a lock in the F/Q/S field showing 1/2/1. This can take a few minutes if you are inside a woodframe house, but may not happen at all in a steel building. As for the registry hack and icon, they have nothing to do with internal gps, so the settings wont change anything. So in short, make sure your phone's antenna can "see" most of the sky, it should work from there...just give it some time to lock. (When i post on my omnia it seems like someone always beats my responses...lol)

Edited by WhoTheHellAmI

Guest JDawg183

ok, so here is the dael. I got the new Omnia today and before activating it tried the GPS in both Windows live and Google maps and.... IT WORKED!!!! April Fools! No, i did get it, but no success. Here is a copy of a clean registry with only those two files and nothing else installed. Not programmed yet. Like i said, GPS did not work, but it may provide insight to someone. I did it in CeRegEditor. Happy April!

It would not let me upload it here, so here is the link where you can get it from.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=a12cb57...95965eaa7bc68bc

Guest DeepBlueEditor
yeah, i just found the treo 800 and htc mogul (both sprint) use the same chipset.

now we need to find a friendly person who can share their GPS files with us lol.

i got stuck babysitting for a bit but i'll keep seeing what i can find. hit up some sprint forums or XDA about those phones and the files.

I posted about the treo several posts ago. Sorry, thought you guys would have read that by now. If you didn't read that info, might want to see if there is anything else in all that info that might be helpful. Like the bits about all the protocols used to access the chip functions and all that.

See this post and beyond:

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=987624

Also this one:

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=987640

Sean

Edited by DeepBlueEditor

Guest WhoTheHellAmI

Ok...a bit off topic, but does anyone know where the thread is that tells you how to keep the backlight at full so the screen tilt works after you lock and unlock the phone or so that it comes back to full after a suspend?...if i remember right its some kind of registry hack. I would not ask, but i cant get to the search function on my omnia's browsers.

Guest dmk679
by the way, where can I get qpst? All the links on google are dead.

its on torrents - search the pirate bay or go here

i also have it (v2.7 build 215) - pm with your email and i will send it over

Guest WhoTheHellAmI
so i started GPSTest on my i910, sat it in the window, came back 20 minutes later.. no satellite lock.. wtf
Do you have a network signal in that window? The program begins with agps until lock, but it will not lock without first connecting with agps server

Guest lordkazan
Do you have a network signal in that window? The program begins with agps until lock, but it will not lock without first connecting with agps server

should have had a constant one..

Guest JDawg183
Tried to load up VZappzone and it had me do an update... no problem.... After the update looked at the availible software for update and download and found verizon wireless active sync and thought I might give it a try... It told me to go to http://ota.wsync.com and found a new update for the omnia...

Ok, so I found the above at PPC geeks. It seems like its just a sync update, but the fact that it is an update at all made me wonder if it might be able to be dissected to help our cause.