UNLOCKING CDMA I910 GPS - please help us!

Guest aleis

Guest castle9mm
After reading this document about how the GPS was unlocked on the Verizon VX6800, I'm fairly certain what we are seeing is this:

1) The GPS firmware in the i910 is set to "Verizon" mode - where it won't accept or acknowledge GPS requests until a secret handshake is done

2) The reason that other GPS apps see the GPS once VZNav is running in the background is that it has unlocked the GPS for its own use

3) The coordinates are off because the data coming back from the GPS is still encrypted/obfuscuated and other programs misinterpret the data as location data

So I'm thinking there are two possible solutions for an unlock:

1) A GPS proxy application, like the one that Skywing wrote for the VX6800, is written/adapted

2) The firmware running the GPS chip is replaced/patched to work in a standard way - by either somehow ripping that ROM part from a i900 (assuming the hardware is compatible), or patching the existing ROM (which might be difficult to do without a ROM dump or upgrade image)

After reading through the file mentioned above, I have a strong feeling that's what is going on as well. From comparison of my registry exports, I can see the LBSdriver, secure certificates & the 'piggy-backing' effect by running VZN first. I also see all of the .dll's he mentions in /windows.

Obviously either something has changed in the process or Skywings proxy application needs a modification for the i910 enviroment.

Guest somedude

This looks like it may be a lot harder than i thought. And you know, it really is a damn shame that we have to go through all this.

I am seriously pissed off right now and i am really considering taking the phone back.

What verizon is doing shouldnt even be legal. They are purposely blocking out a feature just so they can make a profit. It is sickening. Shame on them!

This looks like it may be a lot harder than i thought. And you know, it really is a damn shame that we have to go through all this.

I am seriously pissed off right now and i am really considering taking the phone back.

What verizon is doing shouldnt even be legal. They are purposely blocking out a feature just so they can make a profit. It is sickening. Shame on them!

I sent verizon customer feedback a similar message and I am thinking of sending the Omnia back even though it is very good in other areas.

Guest somedude
I sent verizon customer feedback a similar message and I am thinking of sending the Omnia back even though it is very good in other areas.

I say if we dont have this issue resolved in 2-3 weeks, we should all send the damn phone back and all leave negative comments. What they are doing is wrong plain and simple.

Guest FireMedic92
I say if we dont have this issue resolved in 2-3 weeks, we should all send the damn phone back and all leave negative comments. What they are doing is wrong plain and simple.

I'm all about that, folks. I'll wait two more weeks, at most for the pros (you guys) to get the GPS working, then it's going back. When they let their 'other' phones utilize GPS and not THIS one? WTF, C'mon...

I'm all about that, folks. I'll wait two more weeks, at most for the pros (you guys) to get the GPS working, then it's going back. When they let their 'other' phones utilize GPS and not THIS one? WTF, C'mon...

i know i started this thread and i REALLLY want the gps to work....but im keeping this phone B)

this is a machine!

its sooo mmuch better than my last phone (xv6800) minue the gps...but even when i got my xv6800 it didnt have gps.

that is absolutely my only issue.

im going to keep researching it and trying to get it to work.

think about this, they have 180 days from the time the FCC approved the device (aug 2008) to release the FULL specs. once we have them im sure it will get cracked B)

Guest moe_szylak

do they actually have another phone that has an open gps?

Guest JASTECH

This seems to be a delima, I will try as I have a lot of time to research. Like Paul stated it would be nice to have a i910 to work with. Paul, this is what I have so far on the i910 thanks to shokka9 for help.

Thanks, JASTECH ô¿ô

FCC_Documents.rar

do they actually have another phone that has an open gps?

o yeah thats the alternative!

ALL VERIZON PHONES (the new ones) GPS ARE LOCKED!

they want us to have that crap vznav!

im not giving up.

plus i love my phone! B)

check how i have it B)

post-409529-1228363047_thumb.jpg

post-409529-1228363023_thumb.jpg

post-409529-1228363039_thumb.jpg

Guest wonder9boy

OK...been following along for a bit.  Don't know if this will help in the least, but...after installing              it detects a shared GPS Device...the NMEA-0183 on COM8 at 38400.  It also detects some RAW data...

$GPVTG,,T,,M,,N,,K*4E

$GPGSV,1,100*79

$GPRMC,,V,,,,,,,,,,N*53

$GPGSA,A,1,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,*32

Keeps doing these over and over again!

Any info might help!!!

Guest pjsockett

All of the phones that have gps unlocked were unlocked by the community not by Verizon. You can complain about it all you want but they're not going to change that.They don't advertise gps, they advertise vz navigator or gps with vz navigator. If you return it there is nothing better that you're going to get. You don't want to downgrade to the 6800 or 6900 and you certainly don't want the Storm. I would suggest keeping it and just waiting for a solution to happen. I waited 6 months before gps worked for the 6800 and 9months beofre it worked well.

This is what I reported earlier and 4800 or any useable baud rate. Using my bluetooth external device, those commas are filled with sat NMEA-0183 data. Since the chip is not responding with the data, the app continues to query the device. Hence the repeating sequence.

OK...been following along for a bit. Don't know if this will help in the least, but...after installing it detects a shared GPS Device...the NMEA-0183 on COM8 at 38400. It also detects some RAW data...

$GPVTG,,T,,M,,N,,K*4E

$GPGSV,1,100*79

$GPRMC,,V,,,,,,,,,,N*53

$GPGSA,A,1,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,*32

Keeps doing these over and over again!

Any info might help!!!

OK, so let's think about this sensibly..

Can someone download reglogger from here, run VZNavigator, then exit, stop reglogger and post the dump.

P

reglogger won't run on mine, it says "can't find a server process."

Edit: Nevermind, started reading the thread and found v1.2

Edited by dhoppy

Guest castle9mm
reglogger won't run on mine, it says "can't find a server process."

Edit: Nevermind, started reading the thread and found v1.2

There's actually a v1.6 on page 6 or 7.

There's actually a v1.6 on page 6 or 7.

Would be nice if the first post of that thread was updated so you don't have to read all the way through to find the version that works. v1.2 hangs my phone. I'm trying 1.6 now.

1.6 works when I install VZNav, but I've also been trying to capture when I run the program for the first time, and it freezes my phone so that I have to soft reset.

Guest somedude
All of the phones that have gps unlocked were unlocked by the community not by Verizon. You can complain about it all you want but they're not going to change that.They don't advertise gps, they advertise vz navigator or gps with vz navigator. If you return it there is nothing better that you're going to get. You don't want to downgrade to the 6800 or 6900 and you certainly don't want the Storm. I would suggest keeping it and just waiting for a solution to happen. I waited 6 months before gps worked for the 6800 and 9months beofre it worked well.

well you certainly have more patience than me. i would rather go back and use my old i900 than this stripped down version.

Edited by somedude

I sent Paul a Rlogger output for both starting and stopping the VZNav. Not sure if I captured the right stuff but I can run again if needed. I installed Rlogger using the cab version. It is easier to control and open VZnav if and Rlogger if you shutoff the samsung widget. Once I did that and switched to windows 6.1 view Rlogger ran fine.

abatis

MobileGadgetNews

Edited by abatis

I sent Paul a Rlogger output for both starting and stopping the VZNav. Not sure if I captured the right stuff but I can run again if needed. I installed Rlogger using the cab version. It is easier to control and open VZnav if and Rlogger if you shutoff the samsung widget. Once I did that and switched to windows 6.1 view Rlogger ran fine.

abatis

MobileGadgetNews

u have a cool site man B)

im about to go read the news on it now.

abatis

MobileGadgetNews

Cool. Would you mind teaching me how to "switch to windows 6.1 view?" Is that a setting on the phone, or in reglogger? Thanks.

Cool. Would you mind teaching me how to "switch to windows 6.1 view?" Is that a setting on the phone, or in reglogger? Thanks.

Just go to Settings

post-21802-1228409079_thumb.jpg

uncheck Widget

post-21802-1228409091_thumb.jpg

I am not sure why Rlogger worked better for me this way but no crashes. Also be sure to shut Rlogger off from its menu - per the XDA instructions.

The GPS radio is disabled in the radio rom, you can connect to the GPS hardware via various methods but it'll never get a lock since the radio is disabled. VZNav, when launched, connects to VZW request a handshake key and sends that to the radio where it'll then enable the GPS radio. The only way to fix the "problem" will be to reflash the phone with a modified rom where the GPS radio isn't disabled. Since there hasn't been any updated CDMA roms released there isn't anything that can be modified....hopefully they'll release an update soon and somebody can tinker with it and reenable the GPS. If I remember right you can launch VZNav, get it to turn on the GPS, then crash (not stop) the VZNav application and the GPS radio will remain enabled since it won't send the disconnect signal to the GPS radio. I'm still waiting on my Omnia (should get it today or tomorrow), when I get it'll I see if I can decode what VZNav is sending to the radio and see if it's a phone specific handshake or if it's a universal code....if it's universal then it should be easy to reenable the radio.