UNLOCKING CDMA I910 GPS - please help us!

Guest aleis

Guest azintegra

VERY ODD I'M LOOKING THREW SAMSUNG AND I SEE A NEW ROM IT SAYS US CELLULAR AS THE CARRIER. US CELLULAR DOESNT HAVE THIS PHONE DO THEY? AND WHEN I TRY TO DOWNLOAD IT IT SAYS NOT YET AVAILABLE UNLESS THEY ARE JUST GETTING THIS PHONE COMING TO THJEM. MAYBE ROM WILL B OUT TONIGHT OR THIS WEEK

Guest DeepBlueEditor

Couple of quick comments for everyone.

First - I would still rather have true GPS but that's just me. aGPS from my understanding wasn't supposed to be as accurate. That's what folks used to say anyway so maybe that changed but I still trust the real deal of full on GPS. Not a big thing to me but you guys have at it.

Second - as the phones still call in for the aGPS initially, there may or may not be other data in that outgoing call, like version number. Note that if there is any outgoing information that they can track to the leaked ROM, they could easily selectivly kill aGPS pretty quickly for updated ROMs. If there is anything in there to tell them what we are using. remember that as of now, there is a handshake with VZW for authorized Nav users to make sure they are paid so I'm guessing there is info in the outgoing string to them to identify each handset individually. So yes, I bet in theory they could shut down all the leaked ROMs. Just a guess.

Third - to the guy with the potentially bricked but flashed phone... I wonder if they do any testing at all to see what killed returning phones? If they do, you may already be out of a contract as you tried to install not only an unauthorized but stolen ROM. That would likely get you a cancellation of service and still have to buy out your time. Possibly.

Just be aware folks, there are possible issues with doing all this. I'm no company guy as I am sitting here now wondering why I haven't done mine yet and itching to try it. I just realize there are a lot of possibilities on their end they could use against this. And, I can wait till the real deal comes out. Just knowing they have one on the way is enough for me.

More cents.

Edited by DeepBlueEditor

Guest theidoctor.org

First - I would still rather have true GPS but that's just me. aGPS from my understanding wasn't supposed to be as accurate. That's what folks used to say anyway so maybe that changed but I still trust the real deal of full on GPS. Not a big thing to me but you guys have at it.

Second - as the phones still call in for the aGPS initially, there may or may not be other data in that outgoing call, like version number. Note that if there is any outgoing information that they can track to the leaked ROM, they could easily selectivly kill aGPS pretty quickly for updated ROMs. If there is anything in there to tell them what we are using. remember that as of now, there is a handshake with VZW for authorized Nav users to make sure they are paid so I'm guessing there is info in the outgoing string to them to identify each handset individually. So yes, I bet in theory they could shut down all the leaked ROMs. Just a guess.

Third - to the guy with the potentially bricked but flashed phone... I wonder if they do any testing at all to see what killed returning phones? If they do, you may already be out of a contract as you tried to install not only an unauthorized but stolen ROM. That would likely get you a cancellation of service and still have to buy out your time. Possibly.

Just be aware folks, there are possible issues with doing all this. I'm no company guy as I am sitting here now wondering why I haven't done mine yet and itching to try it. I just realize there are a lot of possibilities on their end they could use against this. And, I can wait till the real deal comes out. Just knowing they have one on the way is enough for me.

More cents.

verizon is releasing the update in less than a month, i doubt they will do anything to try and stop this.... just think of how long it took apple to come out with their app store AFTER the jailbreaks were going on. I was probably using third party apps for a few months before i decided to try apple's.

no i kinda like the jailbreak and their version of appstore better!

Guest blazingwolf
There wouldn't be any chance there'd be settings for enabling camera's geotagging in there or anything? If I'm being dense, which it sounds like I am, I'll just forget about that. heh

Now that is something I hadn't thought about. I would think that might be a possibility.

Guest blazingwolf
cdma or gsm, agps setup should be the same imo. We need to enable the control panel link to XTRA (file: gps_extra in windows directory). See this link. If we can enable the control panel icon and setup the registry the same (previous post), we may be in business with agps. A registry dump from an i900 would expedite testing on an i910.

Except that all of the settings will be based on the carrier. So settings for Orange will not work for Verizon.

Guest azintegra

More cents.

samsung does not test there phone upon receiving if they dont power up it marked as incomplete wakeup and fixed later on ur mail a new phone within 7 days

Guest Chugworth

Well, if you want to GeoTag your photos from the device, you could use locr. I tested it, and the program picked up my GPS location without me having to configure anything. To GeoTag a photo, just select a photo and choose "Manual geotagging." The program will then tag the photo with your current GPS location.

It's not quite as automatic as we might like, but it does the job.

Guest krelvinaz

That is not an accurate description of aGPS... I also wouldn't worry about it.

The whole point of aGPS (a = assist) is specifically designed for mobile devices that have network access to "assist" the GPS in locating where it is when it starts, so that it can sync with the GPS sats faster.

Mobile devices, and especially mobile devices are not normally in the same place all the time when the GPS is turned on, so without knowing fairly closely where they already are it would take a long time to figure out where and what sats are available to sync with. Called a Cold Boot.

If you have used a vehicle GPS system and not turned it on for a while while driving away from where it was last used, you are units will sometimes prompt you as to how far away you have gone. That is so it knows if it can do a warm boot or has to start all over with a cold boot.

I'm sure it will be possible to use the GPS portion of the device without the Assist part at sometime, but the amount of time it will take to get an initial lock can be quite long. Most people don't want to wait.

There are a lot of ways that a carrier could know what you are doing with your phone without the connection to get the Assist data for the GPS. Info from the Opera browser, mail client connections etc.. all can have version info in their headers.

Guest joex51
I've not posted any links other than threads to here. I also have not posted who leaked it. The big problem is the people who decided to gloat and poke at Verizon on their own forums.

That is the problem right there!

I agree 100%

Guest DanoB

I jumped in to the frying pan and installed the new .img file to my Omnia i910 (Verizon edition). Everything works fine, and can make calls,recieve calls, and even get my butt located in both google maps and on WLS.

Question is this, I backed up my registry before the burn, along with PIM backup. I have since restored the PIM, but have not tried the registry. Is there any reason that I should not do this?

(I have been reading this thread since inception, and have always learned that it takes a flash of brilliance to bring "The Man" to his knees. I was around during the DSS days of satellite hacking, and have always enjoyed a good hack!!! Remember Alien?!!!

Thanks to all for their hard work and dedication.

Five-O Dano

Guest joex51
Yes, I did (5 times) but still no internet connection, it said wrong user name and password even those I type in the right one.

Did you call VZW and tell them tht yu need to have your A key reset?

Guest DeepBlueEditor
There are a lot of ways that a carrier could know what you are doing with your phone without the connection to get the Assist data for the GPS. Info from the Opera browser, mail client connections etc.. all can have version info in their headers.

Granted. The phone talks all the time to the towers as it is so they know who is where when I suppose, 911 setting or not really I should think.

I never had to wait that long with the TomTom but then I generally don't change too far from my original position after putting it to sleep so I suppose it figures it has some idea where I am when it comes to. aGPS makes sens but the talking to the tower right now is as much for verification of a paid up account as anything else I should think. At least right now.

I do think they could at least open up and make Nav free since it will go free next month anyway. Would have been a great PR thing for them.

Guest joex51
The thing that scares me,, remember when folks cracked the iPhone,, and Apple brought out an upgrade that bricked them all? (Or so the rumor went) I hope VZ doesn't try that. :excl:

Tom

I think what they did was put an App in the rom that reports What application you install on the Phone and if it is not an approved app, they can remotely Wipe the app, off the phone.

Talk about big brother!

Guest lordricearoni
Well, if you want to GeoTag your photos from the device, you could use locr. I tested it, and the program picked up my GPS location without me having to configure anything. To GeoTag a photo, just select a photo and choose "Manual geotagging." The program will then tag the photo with your current GPS location.

It's not quite as automatic as we might like, but it does the job.

Thanks, I'll have to check that out.

I would like a fully automatic solution if at all possible. It's again the idea that the phone was SUPPOSED to be able to do something before Verizon got a hold of it. Also, just the fun of trying to get something to work..

Guest somedude
samsung does not test there phone upon receiving if they dont power up it marked as incomplete wakeup and fixed later on ur mail a new phone within 7 days

Thats good news. Now they wont find out about my flashing. So can i still get a new phone with just the extended warranty or do i need to have the insurance?

Guest dtread

If youve bricked your phone during this process and cannot find a fix, or do not want to wait, if you have the insurance, just chunk it into your kitchen sink and tell them you dropped it into the pool. Pay your $50 and get a new phone.

Guest aleis
If youve bricked your phone during this process and cannot find a fix, or do not want to wait, if you have the insurance, just chunk it into your kitchen sink and tell them you dropped it into the pool. Pay your $50 and get a new phone.

i have insurance and i would NEVER say my phone is damaged!

i always say its lost.

i work for a cellphone insurance company :excl:

Guest Enraged Ninja

Quick off subject questions:

If you brick your phone and report it lost you have to pay the 50 deductible right? If its broke due to something that happened from samsung/verizon its replaced NP...? Its way off subject but i havent actually flashed a phone before so i feel like im prone to have a mistake even after following everything to a "T"

This new ROM for the i910 floating around here actually unlocks the GPS?

Last but not least... is the verizon update still all rumors at this point?

i have insurance and i would NEVER say my phone is damaged!

i always say its lost.

i work for a cellphone insurance company :excl:

yea but you have to have a police report then what if they see that phone on that would be fraud if you break that is mis use but if it don't work they will replace without paying the 50 bucks and you only get 2 a year

Guest aleis
yea but you have to have a police report then what if they see that phone on that would be fraud if you break that is mis use but if it don't work they will replace without paying the 50 bucks and you only get 2 a year

not quite, if you go through (and have) the verizon warranty you dont pay. if you lose the phone you dont have to file a police report. only if its stolen. and...who would use the phone after they reported it lost or stolen...?

me, i have 3 lost phones in my closet lmao!! :excl:

and my name is John Deer :excl:

from PA 610 555 1212 :excl:

Edited by aleis

Guest theidoctor.org
Quick off subject questions:

If you brick your phone and report it lost you have to pay the 50 deductible right? If its broke due to something that happened from samsung/verizon its replaced NP...? Its way off subject but i havent actually flashed a phone before so i feel like im prone to have a mistake even after following everything to a "T"

This new ROM for the i910 floating around here actually unlocks the GPS?

Last but not least... is the verizon update still all rumors at this point?

it depends... if you have the plan then yes its only $50. if its under warranty and they cant figure it out, i think they will replace it free.

the rumors are turning more into truth and with this rom out so close to the rumored release date, i wouldnt call it a beta anymore. Its more like the real thing just leaked.

its easy to unlock also, but if you are afraid of bricking it, i would just wait a few weaks. that way, you can do it over the air without haveing to lose anything also

Guest lordricearoni

After you lose something, you can always 'find' it again. :excl: It you 'lost' a functioning phone, hooray for $50 PDA. Otherwise you've got a nice spare screen laying around.

Edited by lordricearoni

Guest aleis
After you lose something, you can always 'find' it again. :excl: It you 'lost' a functioning phone, hooray for $50 PDA. Otherwise you've got a nice spare screen laying around.

this is how i look at it :excl:

Guest somedude

My phone was 'bricked' and i called verizon today.

They are shpping me a new phone and im sending my old one back. Im not paying anything, its all a part of the warranty.