UNLOCKING CDMA I910 GPS - please help us!

Guest aleis

Guest blazingwolf
I don't know. I own a Garmin iQue 3600 (PDA/GPS running PalmOS) which gets a satellite lock very quickly... much quicker than my Omnia. And the iQue uses a standalone GPS (i.e., it's not a cell phone). For example, I can power-on my iQue, pop it in its dashboard cradle, and have a GPS lock in less than a minute (and see myself moving on the map). And my iQue is old technology compared to Omnia!

I hope Omnia's problem is with the beta firmware and not poor GPS hardware.

It might be the firmware though I doubt it. The hardware is probably fine also. There is a better explanation about what AGPS is around here some where that I just read. You might look for it. :excl:

Here it is: http://www.modaco.com/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=993874

Edited by blazingwolf

Guest szinski
It might be the firmware though I doubt it. The hardware is probably fine also. There is a better explanation about what AGPS is around here some where that I just read. You might look for it. :excl:

Thanks, I'm familiar with AGPS. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it shouldn't take 10 minutes (without AGPS) to get a satellite lock. My old iQue can do it in less than a minute, hell, even my ancient Garmin GPS in my boat can do it in less time.

I'm still leaning toward it being a firmware issue. I say that because, once locked, I get a good solid signal from most of the satellites (even indoors). My iQue, with its old-technology less-sensitive antenna quickly loses all satellites once indoors. So, in that regard, Omnia is better.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Guest featheredsnake
*** HELP ****

i cannot be the only one having GPS issues!

my issue is, i cannot seem to get a lock!

sometimes it will lock but no image on the screen (live search)

and sometimes it doesnt even connect! (google maps, sometimes live search).

what i have to do is load google maps, then load live search for it to work.

now, that doesnt even work!

THE MAIN THING!

in the gps settings...they do not stick!!

i set the program port to 8 and the baud rate to 57600.

after i hit ok, and go back to the gps settins, they revert back to blank and 4800!

HELP!!!

Did you try -settings/phone/services//gps=change setting-location on then soft reset?

initally i forgot to set this.Good luck

Guest necosino

10 mins!? Mine never takes that long, even the first time it only took, I think 3.. When I drive in the morning, I plug my phone into the CLA (cig. lighter adapter). Start up iGO8, enter where I'm going, and by the time I'm out of my driveway it's giving me directions, so that is maybe 1 minute, TOPS.

But yes, as AznTegra said, the next firmware's change log said "Imrpoved GPS Functionality" :excl:

Guest necosino

Oh, and try force-soft resetting (Hitting the little hole next to the power button) this will actually reset the GPS and improves my speed quite a bit when I do have issues (not often)

Guest Foster318
Oh, and try force-soft resetting (Hitting the little hole next to the power button) this will actually reset the GPS and improves my speed quite a bit when I do have issues (not often)

Yep I've done that too. It doesn't take long for me to get a good signal. I even get a lock sitting in my house with igo 8. Thanks again to Az for this rom. Now I can resell my Garmin XT BT on ebay:)

Guest jeffreyd

I'm not having any luck getting iGuidance 2009 to work. Anyone know if Garmin XT works and gets gps position and how long it takes?

Thanks.

Guest krelvinaz

after i hit ok, and go back to the gps settins, they revert back to blank and 4800!

HELP!!!

I use Use Intermediate Driver for all the programs (Google, Live Search, Others).

I suspect that the Assisted part of the GPS is not working which is why it sometimes takes a long time to sync.

gpstest, would only take a minute or less to sync and I know it was successfully using the Assisted connection.

Guest thedarkone

Yes my GPS locks like crap....

Takes forever to get a lock and will randomly lose it too... Using Igo8

BUT!!! with google maps it works MUCH better.

Any idea why? I hope its a software thing too.... very much so!

Guest necosino

I'm guessing this ROM was just a quick and dirty way to get GPS working :excl: The next release (May 11) should be a drastic improvement, I think.

As for iGO8, that's what I use and its US/CAN maps are half way decent actually, and POIs are totally free (google)

Guest szinski
10 mins!? Mine never takes that long, even the first time it only took, I think 3..

Yeah... I drove all the way to work this morning (with the Omnia on my dashboard with a clear view of the sky) and it never locked on... hell... it didn't even show one single satellite! I live 10 minutes from work. At lunch today it took about 5 minutes before it locked on. Ugh.

Guest i'mdangerous
Just make sure to keep those 2 check boxes clear. I think it erases the data permanently the first time.

I flashed mine with them cleared, then reflashed with them checked. my phone works.

if you have a Data Connection running and you try to change phones via VZW Online as some suggested, that will certainly mess things up the data connection settings and could take a day to clear up.

Guest krelvinaz
Yeah... I drove all the way to work this morning (with the Omnia on my dashboard with a clear view of the sky) and it never locked on... hell... it didn't even show one single satellite! I live 10 minutes from work. At lunch today it took about 5 minutes before it locked on. Ugh.

While moving, you will always have a problem locking as your position is changing and the ability to sync is being hampered by the changes.

You should always get a lock first while stationary, before taking off.

Some vehicle GPS units store last known information when you use them so that when you start out, they already know where to look. Even then, some of them have issues while you are driving trying to get a lock.

Edited by krelvinaz

Guest lordricearoni
Following this i900 thread , I removed registry values as follows:

My experience shows that the following steps seem to improve the time to get a GPS fix, without need to download XTRA data:

1. Go to Settings > System > Enhanced GPS and set both settings to "Disable"

2. Go to your device's registry, and see the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver

3. Change the following string values to nothing (don't delete them, just edit them and clear the value): 

CurrentLogFile (originally \GPSID_log.txt)

OldLogFile (originally \GPSID_log.bak)

4. Soft-reset your device

5. With File Explorer, go to My Device, and delete the two GPSID_log files you see, and the file named xtra. If you don't soft-reset, you will not be able to delete some of them.

6. Check again the registry setting. Sometimes in rare cases it may revert the settings back - but that's a general WM problem.

I have not determined if this results in quicker initial gps locks on my device. Can people try it out and report back? I performed the reg mods on my i910 but have not had a chance to test it yet.

A newer version of gps_extra.exe is attached - this was posted many days ago on this forum and over at http://www.samsung-omnia.org. Placing this file on the i910 does allow the application to run and display a window allowing for user interaction - it also interacts with the registry settings in hklm/software/samsung/ril/gps and hklm/software/samsung/ril/gps/xtra. I am unable to download the xtra.bin file using this application however - receiving a "cannot connect" error. I manually downloaded the xtra.bin file from the xtra1.gpsonextra.net server (http://xtra1.gpsonextra.net/xtra.bin) and by placing this file in the ROOT of the device (under \My Device), gps_extra.exe does read the time stamps from the file.

Infrmation needed to allow for additional testing - can forum members help find this information?

1) i900 registry dump (from "stock" ROM)

2) i900 qpst settings for gpsone

I had those registry values, but no GPSID_log files in my \Windows dir, so I didn't bother deleting the keys.

I imported the registry values you had mentioned in your earlier post from the other i900 thread. (For anyone who wants a registry merge file, there's one in the attached zip). I also am unable to get gps_xtra.exe to connect to the internet. I've tried through data, bluetooth, and wifi. Also, I changed the agps server to xtra1.gpsonextra.net:80 as suggested here: http://www.modaco.com/index.php?amp;showto...st&p=920373. Still no luck on getting the xtra.bin file downloaded.

I tries with your provided xtra.bin file in my root dir and the app did pick it up. I then did a soft reset and tested with google maps to see how long it took to get a lock on some satellites.

RESULTS:

I don't think these changes made any difference. It took about 1.5-2 min to get a lock, about as long as it previously took for an initial lock.

I think we're gonna have to keep looking..

agps.zip

Guest SlangMarket.Com
I frown on this idea. It's basicly stealing right?

Now, that is a funny comment. :excl:

Who stole what from whom? The phone is equipt with a GPS chip set, yet is locked? Hmmm...

Edited by SlangMarket.Com

Guest Tim-H
THE MAIN THING!

HELP!!!

I'm using google maps and i just have ti set to managed by windows. works fine for me

Guest szinski

Can someone else confirm my finding...

I changed the GPS program port from COM8 to COM3 via the External GPS settings applet (the External GPS applet must be enabled via registry setting).

Ever since I made the change, I get almost immediate GPS locks. I've soft-reset the phone several times and each and every time (since the change) I get an almost immediate lock.

I hope I'm not imagining things!

Guest dmk679
Can someone else confirm my finding...

I changed the GPS program port from COM8 to COM3 via the External GPS settings applet (the External GPS applet must be enabled via registry setting).

Ever since I made the change, I get almost immediate GPS locks. I've soft-reset the phone several times and each and every time (since the change) I get an almost immediate lock.

I hope I'm not imagining things!

The gps caches your previous position - if you are close to the cached position then the gps will lock fairly quick. Are you getting immediate locks if you are in a different location or while driving?

Guest joex51
so good to hear :excl:

I flashed my phone today everything went fine everything works except GPS I get zero sats. I went to my friends house he has the VX6800 with skywings GPS fix and his GPS is not working today either, it worked for him before but today no dice.

I had my GPS set to 911 only, just changed it to Location On. Soft reseting the phone now hope it works.

Well I just turned on GMaps, when the phone came up there was a warning about have GPS location setting turned on.

well I am not having much hope first of all it is raining out side and I am not going out in the rain to see if it works.

Edited by joex51

Guest DeepBlueEditor
I looked, but didn't see how

Never mind, it works. Not sure just what it does exactly but it does lock. May be some functionality for the folks using a PC but other than showing a location in text, don't see much use in it there. Still, that's another app that sees and can make use of the GPS functions.

PS, no other hardware lockups so far so I'm claiming it as stable for me.