UNLOCKING CDMA I910 GPS - please help us!

Guest aleis

Guest DeepBlueEditor
Who stole what from whom? The phone is equipt with a GPS chip set, yet is locked? Hmmm...

Well, again, someone took proprietary software from a private server and is making money from it, so I would say that was intellectual property theft. 2 Wrongs and all that. Then again, I have GPS too now...

Guest dmk679
I had those registry values, but no GPSID_log files in my \Windows dir, so I didn't bother deleting the keys.

I imported the registry values you had mentioned in your earlier post from the other i900 thread. (For anyone who wants a registry merge file, there's one in the attached zip). I also am unable to get gps_xtra.exe to connect to the internet. I've tried through data, bluetooth, and wifi. Also, I changed the agps server to xtra1.gpsonextra.net:80 as suggested here: http://www.modaco.com/index.php?amp;showto...st&p=920373. Still no luck on getting the xtra.bin file downloaded.

I tries with your provided xtra.bin file in my root dir and the app did pick it up. I then did a soft reset and tested with google maps to see how long it took to get a lock on some satellites.

RESULTS:

I don't think these changes made any difference. It took about 1.5-2 min to get a lock, about as long as it previously took for an initial lock.

I think we're gonna have to keep looking..

Thank you for your efforts and input. To streamline discussions on unlocking aGPS on the i910, I have initiated a new thread - http://www.modaco.com/content/i9x0-omnia-h...-unlock-effort/. Welcome any ideas you (or anyone else) may have regarding this topic. Keep in mind that this is not a debate of IF you want aGPS - some folks seem content with standalone gps functionality which is fine by me.

Guest DeepBlueEditor
EVERYONE... I JUST ADDED A TUTORIAL WITH LINKS to updating the firmware... hope it helps a little!!!

i will add pictures later

http://www.theidoctor.org/omnia.html

Not bad. You may want to mention and give a link to the USB drivers and mention it toward the top as it needs installed, then the PC needs rebooted before starting. I found the original drivers mentioned constatly on the threads as "SamsungUSBDriver_4_40_7_0_v1_6" but they aren't easy to find on the net. They are supposed to be on the VZW discs that came with the phone but anyone who ends up with a second hand phone may need those files. It's about 10Meg. I can send that driver to you to post links to if you have a way to get them and place to put them. Or, if anyone knows a direct link already to those drivers, please post it so idoc can link it in the tutorial.

Oh yeah, PS, you might want to make mention that then newer Driver installer app "UMDL_OMNIA_v2.3.exe" has slightly different buttons and to ONLY USE the iso locater button. that's the only diff in the otherwise perfect PDF directions.

S.

Edited by DeepBlueEditor

Guest theidoctor.org
Not bad. You may want to mention and give a link to the USB drivers and mention it toward the top as it needs installed, then the PC needs rebooted before starting. I found the original drivers mentioned constatly on the threads as "SamsungUSBDriver_4_40_7_0_v1_6" but they aren't easy to find on the net. They are supposed to be on the VZW discs that came with the phone but anyone who ends up with a second hand phone may need those files. It's about 10Meg. I can send that driver to you to post links to if you have a way to get them and place to put them. Or, if anyone knows a direct link already to those drivers, please post it so idoc can link it in the tutorial.

Oh yeah, PS, you might want to make mention that then newer Driver installer app "UMDL_OMNIA_v2.3.exe" has slightly different buttons and to ONLY USE the iso locater button. that's the only diff in the otherwise perfect PDF directions.

S.

good idea about the driver! if you megaupload it, i will add it to my website.

Guest krelvinaz

Also add that you should have the phone fully charged before beginning as well. Make sure it is not hot as well as if it gets over heated it will shutdown. Not cute while you are doing a firmware upgrade.

Guest theidoctor.org
Also add that you should have the phone fully charged before beginning as well. Make sure it is not hot as well as if it gets over heated it will shutdown. Not cute while you are doing a firmware upgrade.

done!

Guest joex51
Yes my GPS locks like crap....

Takes forever to get a lock and will randomly lose it too... Using Igo8

BUT!!! with google maps it works MUCH better.

Any idea why? I hope its a software thing too.... very much so!

do you have WiFi turned on and connected?

when I turned mine on it located me as soon as I opened Gmaps, but when I tell it to use GPS it just sits there and seeks satellites.

BTW, Could someone that does have GPS working solidly, do a dump of the Registry setting for HKLM\Control Panel\GPS Settings?

Or Just post what is listed there and the settings?

Edited by joex51

Guest h8isgr8

Direct link to download.......

http://vzamredesign.smithmicro.net/vcastmu...40_7_0_v1_6.zip

BTW, I can't seem to get GPS to work. I've done about three hard resets so far and turned my location on each time. With my phone outside with a clear view of the sky it just sits at (0). :excl:

Guest xxmadhatter

**to forum mod** gps problem SOLVED :excl: lock down this thread it's getting too off topic and WAY too long. to get the gps to work install new rom, and go to settings, personal, phone, services, gps, ON. voila gps working for GoogleMaps, LiveSearch, and iGo. for more information on flashing the rom, see other threads

Guest theidoctor.org
Direct link to download.......

http://vzamredesign.smithmicro.net/vcastmu...40_7_0_v1_6.zip

BTW, I can't seem to get GPS to work. I've done about three hard resets so far and turned my location on each time. With my phone outside with a clear view of the sky it just sits at (0). :excl:

you may have to wait a little... if it says 0, the gps is working.... just trying to find them... did you do a soft reset after you enabled gps?

Guest necosino
**to forum mod** gps problem SOLVED :excl: lock down this thread it's getting too off topic and WAY too long. to get the gps to work install new rom, and go to settings, personal, phone, services, gps, ON. voila gps working for GoogleMaps, LiveSearch, and iGo. for more information on flashing the rom, see other threads

But I want to see 100 pages... THEN it can be locked ::excl::

Guest lordricearoni
do you have WiFi turned on and connected?

when I turned mine on it located me as soon as I opened Gmaps, but when I tell it to use GPS it just sits there and seeks satellites.

BTW, Could someone that does have GPS working solidly, do a dump of the Registry setting for HKLM\Control Panel\GPS Settings?

Or Just post what is listed there and the settings?

I'm not sure that the Wifi actually helps; I tried it on mine and no luck. Maybe it's just reusing its cached location for you initially?

Here's the export you wanted. There's not really much in there:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ControlPanel\GPS Settings]

"Redirect"=""

The only thing you can really do from here, as mentioned earlier in this thread (http://www.modaco.com/content-page/276371/unlocking-cdma-i910-gps-please-help-us/page/460/#entry946818),

is show or hide the GPS Extended Settings control panel.

Guest Ishman

I might have missed it somewhere. But after the ROM upgrade, I assume VZnavigator will not function. I installed it testing but it cannot find the GPS. I can use IGO with no issues. sometimes the locks are very quick other times it takes a minute or 2.

Guest necosino
I might have missed it somewhere. But after the ROM upgrade, I assume VZnavigator will not function. I installed it testing but it cannot find the GPS. I can use IGO with no issues. sometimes the locks are very quick other times it takes a minute or 2.

Yeah, we're kind of confused by that, but assume it has something to do with aGPS, and that VZNav uses a handshake with their server, and then passes this handshake code to the GPS. Since this unlock, the GPS probably doesn't respond to this handshake code and that's why it doesn't respond..

Then again, some people say they have VZNav working fine? :excl: But quite frankly, who cares about VZnav? It stinks! And that's the whole point of unlocking our GPS' was so that we wouldn't have to pay their $10/month for a chip that is already in the phone.