UNLOCKING CDMA I910 GPS - please help us!

Guest aleis

Guest DeepBlueEditor
It was more to everyone saying "hey, I turned off phone and lost GPS, so it must be aGPS!!!!" :excl:

Right. I will say the one person mentioned about being able to turn off the Bluetooth and keep the cell alive, good point. Maybe there is a way then but the basic phone software, when you hit the phone off button, it kills the phone and GPS. That might be addressed in the next ROM then. Interesting idea. If I know I am way out in the desert running around in my Jeep, I doubt I'll have cell coverage so I might want to conserve battery power by turning that off as it receives and transmits to find towers and systems. I think it would be a good idea.

Imagine getting lost and using our phones to find our way home on foot. Might be good to turn off the cell and get longer run time on the GPS. That would be a great safety feature.

Guest theidoctor.org
Right. I will say the one person mentioned about being able to turn off the Bluetooth and keep the cell alive, good point. Maybe there is a way then but the basic phone software, when you hit the phone off button, it kills the phone and GPS. That might be addressed in the next ROM then. Interesting idea. If I know I am way out in the desert running around in my Jeep, I doubt I'll have cell coverage so I might want to conserve battery power by turning that off as it receives and transmits to find towers and systems. I think it would be a good idea.

Imagine getting lost and using our phones to find our way home on foot. Might be good to turn off the cell and get longer run time on the GPS. That would be a great safety feature.

i think the gps would use up more battery than the cell radio....

but like i mentioned before.... turning the phone off and still having access to use gps would be nice so you wouldnt have to use a companies cell service!!!!!!

Guest aleis

i believe i found the source of our issue, it lies within the phone.

if you go to gps in the phone section, click change settings, then change the mode (if 911 only change to location only) soft reset the phone then make sure the setting is on location only. fire up live search and it will connect after five minutes.

can anyone else verify this?

Guest ardvarkofdoom

if you go to gps in the phone section, click change settings, then change the mode (if 911 only change to location only) soft reset the phone then make sure the setting is on location only. fire up live search and it will connect after five minutes.

The "location on" change has been said many times in many threads, several times with in this one alone... The real question is how to make it lock faster now.

Guest DeepBlueEditor

Pretty sure this matches everything we already knew? Location to "on" and taking several minutes to lock and all that. It varies for me. I can occasionally get a lock in less than a minute and sometimes 10 or more, if I get one at all.

My real surprise was late last night when I enabled WiFi and got a lock in less than 30 seconds - in my basement office. I have trouble getting a lock in an upstairs bedroom near a window and yet I got several last night below grade under all the housing materials. Must have been a fluke.

Edited by DeepBlueEditor

Guest joex51

Ok

Today, I was able to get My first GPS lock!

I also posted previously that My Brother in law has the VX 6800 and was having GPS issues, and today his GPS started working as well.

I was able to get GPS to work with:

Google Maps

Windows Live Search and

INav IGuidance via GPS gate

Guest SlangMarket.Com
This thread SHOULD NOT BE CLOSED until the official rom is released, and everyone is able to successfully update with no issues.

This rom is causing bricked phones, issues with GPS and other problems. So no, this issue is STILL not resolved.

Thank you... Too many cooks in this kitchen demanding the closing of this thread because "their" issue is resolved. There are others of us that are awaiting further information.

Guest theidoctor.org
The "location on" change has been said many times in many threads, several times with in this one alone... The real question is how to make it lock faster now.

well people are working on that... they are trying to get agps to work now

Guest blazingwolf
Thank you... Too many cooks in this kitchen demanding the closing of this thread because "their" issue is resolved. There are others of us that are awaiting further information.

About what?

Guest necosino

Really, we've pretty much spelled it all out for you. Follow the guide in the "New ROM release" thread and your GPS should work. If it doesn't, keep reading that thread, it's thoroughly discussed, but the GPS is unlocked, so really the goal of this thread has been achieved, we have working GPS.

I'm sorry that some of you are having issues, or being impatient, or not following the guides correctly, but the GPS has been unlocked for everyone that has followed the guides to the letter and not made it more complicated than it needs to be :excl:

Guest krelvinaz
new version of google maps out! :excl:

Didn't like the new version. I went back to the previous.

Unless there is some sort of adjustment you can make for Favorites, the version 3.0.1.4 make the favorite sites (Stars) Way too big. They now dominate the map instead of providing an enhancement to it.

Guest somedude
but the GPS has been unlocked for everyone that has followed the guides to the letter and not made it more complicated than it needs to be :excl:

Not for me. :excl:.

And I followed it to the letter.

The rom is faulty man, i dont see what you guys cant comprehend about that. If it werent, i and several others wouldnt have a bricked phone! You just cant ignore this fact or sweep it under the rug like everything is fine.

Edited by somedude

Guest aleis
Not for me. :excl: .

The rom is faulty man, i dont see what you guys cant comprehend about that. If it werent, i and several others wouldnt have a bricked phone! You just cant ignore this fact or sweep it under the rug like everything is fine.

its only fault is the GPS is intermittent :excl:

if u followed instructions you are happy with the snappier improved i910!! :excl:

well...i am  :excl:

Guest blazingwolf
Not for me. :excl:.

Some bricked devices does not mean the ROM is faulty. This happens across all devices not just the Omnia. User error tends to be the most common problem but it could also be a problem with the users computer or the phone itself. The most common theme for the Omnia so far has been user error (doing things not told to do in the instructions). The fact remains that the GPS has in fact been unlocked. Your device and the others is a special situation that is in most likely hood not going to be fixed by an official release of the ROM and is no reason to keep this thread going.

Guest Omega Ra

correct. The majority of us are having no problems with the GPS. Sometimes it take a while to get a lock, but that is why there is now a thread to unlock the aGPS. Plus the other little bugs and such now have their own threads. Including one for people who have bricked their phones. So there is no real need to keep this thread going as there are many new threads to deal with the issues that have arisen from the new ROM. and again, ANY TIME you flash a new ROM, be it by yourself or by Verizon, there is a chance of getting a brick. It is inherent in the process, so no matter what you run that risk. So this threads purpose has been fulfilled...GPS IS unlocked. Now as for bricking phones and other minor issues, they have their own threads. So let this one die.

/thread

Guest theidoctor.org

i also agree with blazing wolf! I had a bricked phone and i know it was my fault... mainly for reflashing without doing hard resets.

Everything works.... when i got my new phone, i didnt do anything at all to it, followed my directions for real lol... and worked without any problems and didnt have to get it authenticated either.

i had so many registry changes in my old phone that could have messed with it as well as the boxes checked which updated a bunch of stuff and made it even harder to reflash-- thats why it bricked.

Guest SlangMarket.Com
Really, we've pretty much spelled it all out for you. Follow the guide in the "New ROM release" thread and your GPS should work. If it doesn't, keep reading that thread, it's thoroughly discussed, but the GPS is unlocked, so really the goal of this thread has been achieved, we have working GPS.

I'm sorry that some of you are having issues, or being impatient, or not following the guides correctly, but the GPS has been unlocked for everyone that has followed the guides to the letter and not made it more complicated than it needs to be :excl:

This is what I mean... Executive orders coming from the first lady... Demands without authority...

The data is broadcasted in 30 second intervals and requires approximately half a minute to download, so you're looking at a minute. You can track the satellites in real time:

http://www.n2yo.com/

Guest necosino

Slang, have you ever gotten a garmin, or TomTom stand-alone GPS? The very first time you turn it on, or if you take it across the country and turn it on, it takes a good 5 minutes for them to get a lock, too. I used to be a TomTom Tech support personnell, so I know this all too well.

The Omnia's GPS is unlocked, period. It may take a while to get a lock, but only because either we haven't figured out how to use the GPS chip to its full potential yet, and quite frankly we probably won't! I am very interested to see what the May 11th update brings, since in the Samsung newscast to personnell, the new ROM will bring "Improved GPS functionality" to the i910. Quite frankly, I am happy. I turn on iGO8, plug in my CLA, put it in my mount (the iPhone 3G windshield mount works great for the omnia, btw. Got it at TJ Maxx for $10!!) and by the time I'm out of my driveway I have a lock (85% of the time, the other 15% I have a lock within 2 minutes).

So once again, I'm sorry some of you have had issues, but the GPS is functioning and that was the goal of this thread, end of discussion.

Guest thericksonebay

I just wanted to say thanks to the guy who put his job on the line and thanks to everyone else who has been working on this since the begining. I used the doctor's method and worked great even my wife did it successfully with out a problem. We use igo8 for turn by turn directions and google maps for lattitude which is awesome. I like to add people all around the world on lattitude so if anyone wants to add me its [email protected]. i also use a gps app called track my run it is a very cool app it tells you your miles per minute your calories burned and much more. If anyone knows any other cool gps apps please post. Thanks

Guest theidoctor.org
I just wanted to say thanks to the guy who put his job on the line and thanks to everyone else who has been working on this since the begining. I used the doctor's method and worked great even my wife did it successfully with out a problem. We use igo8 for turn by turn directions and google maps for lattitude which is awesome. I like to add people all around the world on lattitude so if anyone wants to add me its [email protected]. i also use a gps app called track my run it is a very cool app it tells you your miles per minute your calories burned and much more. If anyone knows any other cool gps apps please post. Thanks

glad to know my directions are working!!! thanks for the thanks :excl:

Guest maldonj1

just want to say awesome job and thanks to idoctor and all those that help beat the verizon deadline! i followed the directinos step by step except for the hard reset since my unlock password didnt work when i tried to reset main memory so i chanced it, anyways it flashed and booted without a hitch, went to google.com and got the latest googlemaps and walked outside my office building and moved the map to my approximate location as stated in earlier posts to speed things up and in about 15 seconds i had 5 gps's locked and my position updated.

SCREW YOU Verizon!

only thing that cant get a fix but does see the same 5 sat's is gpstuner another awesome app for tracking running,bicycling, whatever

Guest theidoctor.org
just want to say awesome job and thanks to idoctor and all those that help beat the verizon deadline! i followed the directinos step by step except for the hard reset since my unlock password didnt work when i tried to reset main memory so i chanced it, anyways it flashed and booted without a hitch, went to google.com and got the latest googlemaps and walked outside my office building and moved the map to my approximate location as stated in earlier posts to speed things up and in about 15 seconds i had 5 gps's locked and my position updated.

SCREW YOU Verizon!

only thing that cant get a fix but does see the same 5 sat's is gpstuner another awesome app for tracking running,bicycling, whatever

well good... i will have to try gpstuner...

Guest Adrynalyne

You know, I find it mildly amusing all the people who feel they are sticking it to Verizon, when the reality of it is, if it wasn't for Verizon, they wouldn't have this rom, nor would they have unlocked GPS.

So, leaked beta or not, let me change the tone of this thread and say, Thanks Verizon!

Guest theidoctor.org
You know, I find it mildly amusing all the people who feel they are sticking it to Verizon, when the reality of it is, if it wasn't for Verizon, they wouldn't have this rom, nor would they have unlocked GPS.

So, leaked beta or not, let me change the tone of this thread and say, Thanks Verizon!

lol... yea, I mean, they are supposedly releasing it in less than a month.

maybe they "leaked" it on purpose to see what kinds of responses they get from us about the new firmware...

On that note... IT WORKS VERIZON!!!! YOU ARE FREE TO RELEASE IT TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC NOW! :excl: