UNLOCKING CDMA I910 GPS - please help us!

Guest aleis

Guest shadow.ibix
What you say has a lot of truth to it. I had filed a complaint with the FCC against Verizon for locking the GPS. Well I got a call from Verizon last week basically giving me the BS of why the GPS had be locked but I could try VZ navigator free for 1 month blah, blah blah.... Bottom line here is that the rep was very clear that Verizon will not be unlocking the GPS. With dates of 26th and 28th being thrown around here I dont know what to make of all this other than it will happen the next time Jupiter completes it solar cycle!

Which solar cycle? It only has 25+ moons.

All right. I have to ask. WHAT HAS BEEN ACHIEVED SO FAR?

• Is there software (in the form of a cab or exe to be used on WM 6.1) that will AUTOMATICALLY unlock the GPS, with no coding needed?
  • Is there a way using a registry editor (like RegEdit, CERegEditor, SCHAP Registry Editor, etc.) to unlock the GPS?
  • Will flashing a rom of WM 6.5 onto the Omnia, in a sense, unlock it? (In other words, once 6.5 is installed, the GPS will be accessable.)
  • Is there a crack of the current firmware that is identical that has a GPS unlock?
  • Is there a cracking program that can be run from XP, Vista, or 7 that can unlock the GPS?

I've read through every page of this topic, and all I've found is coding jargon, complaining, and general pandemonium. Let's get some CLEAR answers of ANY progress - or lack thereof.

Guest aznricerocket92

• Is there software (in the form of a cab or exe to be used on WM 6.1) that will AUTOMATICALLY unlock the GPS, with no coding needed?
  • Is there a way using a registry editor (like RegEdit, CERegEditor, SCHAP Registry Editor, etc.) to unlock the GPS?
  • Will flashing a rom of WM 6.5 onto the Omnia, in a sense, unlock it? (In other words, once 6.5 is installed, the GPS will be accessable.)
  • Is there a crack of the current firmware that is identical that has a GPS unlock?
  • Is there a cracking program that can be run from XP, Vista, or 7 that can unlock the GPS?

I've read through every page of this topic, and all I've found is coding jargon, complaining, and general pandemonium. Let's get some CLEAR answers of ANY progress - or lack thereof.

i believe that flashing to the CC20 rom will have the GPS unlocked. im running Wozzer's 6.5 M2D rom right now which is based on the CC20 and my GPS works in google maps on default settings.

Guest ikediggety

http://theidoctor.org/omnia.html

all shall be revealed...

Guest shadow.ibix
i believe that flashing to the CC20 rom will have the GPS unlocked. im running Wozzer's 6.5 M2D rom right now which is based on the CC20 and my GPS works in google maps on default settings.

http://theidoctor.org/omnia.html

all shall be revealed...

I'm working on BOTH of these right now. I just downloaded theidoctor's i910 WM 6.1 rom, and I'll be flashing that here in a few minutes. If that works, I'll use it for a few hours, and then I'll flash to theidoctor's i910 WM 6.5 rom. If THAT works and I like it, I'll keep it. It'll be based on the biggest question:

• Can TouchFlo (aka Manila2D/M2D) be installed and used with all the same, or improved, interface options and flexibility as it can be on WM 6.1?
  • If so, which is better, the default installed WM 6.5 Today screen interfaces, or TouchFlo?

Guest shadow.ibix

Well, I'm well over halfway through flashing the 6.1 rom, and I've got a 'Starting download failed' error. Great. Hopefully I didn't brick the bloody thing. I know the instructions were screaming about needing the USB drivers to the phone (Samsung CDMA drivers), but the instructions also said those drivers were on the disc Verizon included. Well, Verizon included three discs, and I couldn't find anything I had NOT already installed, so I proceeded. Heh. Might have done something wrong.

Here's my current log:

Device name:5&315ed2dd&0&7

EBoot version=01.61

Start downloading...

PDA-Starting updating EBOOT...

PDA-Downloading EBOOT...

PDA-Writing image..

PDA-EBOOT update finished.

Device name:5&315ed2dd&0&7

EBoot version=01.71

Start downloading...

PDA-Starting updating EBOOT...

PDA-Downloading EBOOT...

PDA-Writing image..

PDA-EBOOT update finished.

PDA-Starting downloading region #1(DISKIMAGE)..

PDA-Writing image..

PDA-Writing image finished...

PDA-Downloading CSC File...

PDA-Writing image..

PDA-CSC update finished...

PHONE-Switching USB to PHONE...

PHONE-Automatic driver detection failed..

PHONE-Attempting to open COM 0...

That's where the errors start to occur. It IS SAFE to follow these steps:

Click RESET under Device 1

Unplug and click Okay

OR

If you clicked Okay accidentally, like I did, simply unplug anyway

Soft Reset

FOR ANYONE ELSE WITH THE SAME ISSUE:

Hi All,

Whilst flashing my Omnia with a new ROM, I suffered the annoying COM Port creation error. I needed to point WindowsXP to the correct CDMA driver, but I could not find it ANYWHERE.

Eventually, I found a download that works, which is from an older bit of Samsung Software called PC Studio 3.

Please download from here and run the installer.

When WindowsXP asks you for the driver, choose the 'Include this location' option and point it towards:

C:\ProgramFiles\Samsung\Samsung PC Studio 3\USB Drivers\1

Amazingly, this includes the correct driver and your ROM installation should then run smoothly.

BTW, Some driver-tracker software I have told me that the current release of this driver is 4.34 but I couldn't find this anywhere (even the tracker app didn't have a download location.) If someone finds this, please let me know. Thanks

Problem solved...? I'll see in a sec.

......IT WORKS BEAUTIFULLY!! I think that should be included in the instructions, to download and install that program... ah well. Also, for the record, I placed both the .img file and the /1 folder on ym desktop with the UMDL program, so all three were in the same directory... maybe this matters, maybe it doesn't, but it worked. I never had to 'point to the driver' in the /1 folder.

...Problem. It's not letting me install any cab files. However, I've not yet synced it to the computer, so I'm doing that now. ActiveSync is not calling my Omnia WM_Owner1, don't know what that's about... luckily my last Omnia, before I had it replaced, did the same thing. I, personally still have all my contacts and files and so on. But for anyone else, you might want to back up using PPCPimBackup BEFORE you flash.

Scratch that. Backup from computer didn't work, using PimBackup now. God I love that thing.

Edited by shadow.ibix

Guest krelvinaz

Verizon has now lost ~$4000 worth of service over the next 2 years from me.

Over the past week, we recommitted 3 family phones back to AT&T, all with data plans.

I decided that since Verizon has not Officially taken care of the GPS issue, I will not purchase any more plans, service or phones from them until they do.

The figure is the cost of the service plans for 2 years X 3 phones and excludes the cost of the phones.

Each one of them have unlocked GPS and they work great with fast locking. AT&T Service is basically the same in the area where I live so it's not like I'm taking a degraded service.

Still have 4 family members with phones that are coming up and will do the same with those when they do. Won't all be with data plans, but will still be a loss to Verizon.

Unfortunately, My Omnia was purchased back in Dec, so the plan still has a long time to go. But if AT&T comes up with a device that is good enough to replace the Omnia, I will consider the termination fee and switch it too.

I have already decided not to get the new MiFi 2200 that Verizon has that I've been looking forward to. Just don't need it that bad...

Still love my phone and really don't need GPS all that much, but I don't like dealing with companies that play games like this with the apparent position that there are no consequences to their actions.

Speak with your feet...

Guest shadow.ibix

All right. Update on my end:

THE GPS IS UNLOCKED AND WORKS ON WOZZER'S 6.5 BUILD.

I'm sorry, I never checked if it works on the 6.1 build, but I don't care, because it seems you can't install anything on it, and I kept getting that bloody error about not having enough storage memory, so use file explorer to delete some files, blah blah blah. Basically, that rom is a bit useless unless you have the patience for stock Samsung screens, recurring error messages, and you don't want to install anything. However, you DO have to flash it if you want 6.5. Everything has a catch. TouchFlo IS included on one of his builds, and in my opinion, it's STILL better than the stock UI (Titanium).

• Wozzer's WM 6.5 rom

• Unknown

• Yes - Wozzer's rom will, others untested

[*]Is there a crack of the current firmware that is identical that has a GPS unlock?

[*]Maybe - I forgot to check - it's said it WILL work, but I personally didn't confirm

[*]Is there a cracking program that can be run from XP, Vista, or 7 that can unlock the GPS?

[*]Unknown

Guest blazingwolf
it does not seem unlocked on Blazing Wolf's 6.5 rom.

It is but on one of my ROMs I added in the wrong GSPID.dll and it broke it. :) Fixed now though. <_<

Guest nahyah
It is but on one of my ROMs I added in the wrong GSPID.dll and it broke it. B) Fixed now though. :)

i just flashed it today around 10am PST.... <_<

Guest blazingwolf
i just flashed it today around 10am PST.... :)

I am a Flashers Anonymous enabler.<_<

Anyways, sorry about that.

Guest somedude

looks like verizon is going to wait until 11:59pm june 30th 2009 to release the gps fix lol.

I cant believe they have been sitting on it for this long. But then again, i can, because i realize how shady of a company verizon is, and they want to milk VZ navigator for all its worth.

Because they know once the gps is officially unlocked, no one in their right mind will purchase VZ nav.

Edited by somedude

Guest beranimus

Which rom should I choose for my Omnia i910 for Windows Mobile 6.5 or 6.1 plus unlocked gps? Can you also post a link to one? Thanks

Edited by beranimus

Guest DiamondsTip

Is anyone else who has installed the 6.1 leaked rom expieriancing a beeping sound and flashing power button when connecting to verizons broadband? the connection still works but the beeping and flashing annoys the hell out of me.

Guest shadow.ibix
Which rom should I choose for my Omnia i910 for Windows Mobile 6.5 or 6.1 plus unlocked gps? Can you also post a link to one? Thanks

Use the CC20 rom for 6.1, then use Wozzer's 6.5 rom - there's four to choose from, so just pick what you like.

Guest beranimus

I was looking at all for of the options and they all get rid of touch player. So what media player does everyone use?

Guest somedude
I was looking at all for of the options and they all get rid of touch player. So what media player does everyone use?

slide 2 play (s2p) is the best.

Guest Enraged Ninja
looks like verizon is going to wait until 11:59pm june 30th 2009 to release the gps fix lol.

I cant believe they have been sitting on it for this long. But then again, i can, because i realize how shady of a company verizon is, and they want to milk VZ navigator for all its worth.

Because they know once the gps is officially unlocked, no one in their right mind will purchase VZ nav.

Can anyone confirm this? This really official, verizon updating phones by the end of june?

Guest Omega Ra

hes was mostly joking, no one knows when it will be released. Originally they said by the end of the first half of 09, that is why he said 11:59pm june 30th. The last possible minute of the first half of 09. But I have also heard some time in the 3rd quarter of 09...

Guest Enraged Ninja

god that kills me...

thx for everyone unlocking the GPS on the i910... i keep holding out on flashing my phone because i really want the aGPS enabled as well :\

Guest necosino
god that kills me...

thx for everyone unlocking the GPS on the i910... i keep holding out on flashing my phone because i really want the aGPS enabled as well :\

Then join the ranks of flash addicts! People that must flash every ROM that comes out, and end up flashing at least 2X a week :)

Screw aGPS, I get a lock in <2 minutes 95% of the time, even from a cold start and moving! That's good enough for me <_<

Guest theidoctor.org
Then join the ranks of flash addicts! People that must flash every ROM that comes out, and end up flashing at least 2X a week :)

Screw aGPS, I get a lock in <2 minutes 95% of the time, even from a cold start and moving! That's good enough for me <_<

lol.. yeap that pretty much sums it up!

Guest BMBubba84

idoctor... I just used your page and now my GPS works like a charm... had to change GPS settings in googlemaps to com8 and now it works BEAUTIFULLY!!! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!