RotationService - Version 1.7.4

Guest qbus

Hi QBus,

Thanks for the great software.

However, I couldn't get it to launch a process on rotate (iFonz) or to kill it after rotating back.

Here is my config file... is there something I'm doing wrong...?

Thanks

<!--

<ProcessesToStart>

<Process>\Program Files\iFonz\iFonz.exe</Process>

</ProcessesToStart> 

-->

This section is commented out - remove "<!--" and "-->" from the begining and the end of it.

Guest dwallersv

Enhancement/feature request, qbus:

It would be nice to have a bit finer control over the Today plugins triggered by orientations. What I mean is having six configurable sections: Portrait, Landscape, 0deg, 90deg, 180deg, 270deg.

Here's how I would use it (and why I need it :( ) "WeatherPanel" is a totally awesome weather app that, for weather nuts like me, is a must-have. Unfortunately its not an application, but a Today plugin. So, it can't be integrated with M2D, which I am also using. The M2D weather widget extremely sucks by comparison.

I'd like to be able to configure the plugin section for RotationService so that in one portrait orientation (0 degrees) I have M2D. If I flip it over to 180 deg, M2D turns off, and WeatherPanel turns on.

I'm guessing this is pretty easy, since you've already implemented the basic algorithm for this sort of thing in the fixed-rotation-by-application section.

What do you think? I really need this.... B) :P :D

Guest dwallersv

One more thing, Qbus: You should think about making this app work on HTC devices too, and after a bit more perfection (like a nice GUI for configuration) try licensing it to Samsung and HTC.

This is a very useful and valuable service. I can certainly see these companies bundling it in and shipping with a preconfigured setup that improves the usability of their devices substantially.

Dude, you could make a mint. $1 per device shipped. Half that. You'd be quite rich.

Enhancement/feature request, qbus:

It would be nice to have a bit finer control over the Today plugins triggered by orientations. What I mean is having six configurable sections: Portrait, Landscape, 0deg, 90deg, 180deg, 270deg.

Here's how I would use it (and why I need it :( ) "WeatherPanel" is a totally awesome weather app that, for weather nuts like me, is a must-have. Unfortunately its not an application, but a Today plugin. So, it can't be integrated with M2D, which I am also using. The M2D weather widget extremely sucks by comparison.

I'd like to be able to configure the plugin section for RotationService so that in one portrait orientation (0 degrees) I have M2D. If I flip it over to 180 deg, M2D turns off, and WeatherPanel turns on.

I'm guessing this is pretty easy, since you've already implemented the basic algorithm for this sort of thing in the fixed-rotation-by-application section.

What do you think? I really need this.... B) :P :D

Omnia has only three orientations - 0, 90 and 270. Try to enable auto rotation and flip it over to 180deg - it will rotate to 0 degree position...

Guest dwallersv
Omnia has only three orientations - 0, 90 and 270. Try to enable auto rotation and flip it over to 180deg - it will rotate to 0 degree position...
Hmmm... not my 910. If I am using an app in portrait 0deg with the buttons at the bottom of the phone, and flip it 180 so that the buttons are at the top of the phone, the screen rotates to the proper orientation.

The 910 supports all 4 orientations. Or at least, mine does :(

Are you sure the 900 doesn't support the 180degree "upside-down" orientation?

In any case, maybe you could add this feature for us 910 users? If it's a matter of a bugfix by Samsung (like the BT voicecommand difference between the 900 and 910), this capability will very likely be coming in a future rom for the 900 folks, so I doubt your efforts would have a limited community.

Guest mashimus
<!--

<ProcessesToStart>

<Process>\Program Files\iFonz\iFonz.exe</Process>

</ProcessesToStart> 

-->

This section is commented out - remove "" from the begining and the end of it.

Thanks, that did the trick...

I do have an issue though.. because iFonz takes a bit of time to start up, Manilla2D will sometimes automatically change it back from landscape to portrait ..

Is there a solution to this? (Maybe kill processes first before launching?)

well I read on your main post: "Support for irritating Manila's behaviour of auto screen rotation to portrait (there are still some issues but I think the best way to resolve them is to modify Manila not to rotate the screen)"

But I'm not sure how to do that..

Edited by mashimus

I do have an issue though.. because iFonz takes a bit of time to start up, Manilla2D will sometimes automatically change it back from landscape to portrait ..

well I read on your main post: "Support for irritating Manila's behaviour of auto screen rotation to portrait (there are still some issues but I think the best way to resolve them is to modify Manila not to rotate the screen)"

I was fighting with it for a lot's of time. We need some hexer who can change the bahaviour of Manila. I can't do anything about that since RotationService activates AFTER the rotation event occures - in the meantime Manila can force screen to rotate again). I tried lots of tricks (changing thread priorty, aggresive killing in a loop, etc etc). I can try to make a killing thread even more aggresive but I don't know if this will do the trick.

Edited by qbus

Try the version from this attachment (be sure to stop RotationService from Panel before replacing it) - put it into Program Files\RotationService and let me know about the results.

RotationService.zip

Guest mashimus
Try the version from this attachment (be sure to stop RotationService from Panel before replacing it) - put it into Program Files\RotationService and let me know about the results.

Hey QBus,

I tried this modified version, but it gave me the same results. iFonz starts up, but Manila2D is still running. What's more, is that iFonz is running in the background, I have to bring it to the front manually.

and when I change back from landscape to portrait, it doesn't actually kill the iFonz.exe either.

Thanks

Hey QBus,

I tried this modified version, but it gave me the same results. iFonz starts up, but Manila2D is still running. What's more, is that iFonz is running in the background, I have to bring it to the front manually.

and when I change back from landscape to portrait, it doesn't actually kill the iFonz.exe either.

Thanks

RotationService changes anything only when on today screen. As iFonz is not a today plugin changing rotation does not launch the code responsible for killing/launching/switching today plugins. This is by design. But I've got an idea of adding new configuration parametr to indicate if to launch that whole procedure while on particular application.

The worst thing is Manila and it's auto rotate feature...

Hey QBus,

Thanks

Try new 1.6.0 version and add TodayProcess="1" attribute to iFonz.exe process to kill element in configuration file (look into example config file).

I've tried it with iFonz in landscape mode and Manila in portrait and it works without any problems.

Edited by qbus

Hmmm... not my 910. If I am using an app in portrait 0deg with the buttons at the bottom of the phone, and flip it 180 so that the buttons are at the top of the phone, the screen rotates to the proper orientation.

The 910 supports all 4 orientations. Or at least, mine does :(

In any case, maybe you could add this feature for us 910 users? If it's a matter of a bugfix by Samsung (like the BT voicecommand difference between the 900 and 910), this capability will very likely be coming in a future rom for the 900 folks, so I doubt your efforts would have a limited community.

I've just found this post. I'll keep that in my mind but I must think how to put it into configuration file.

Guest Lyncexx

The 910 supports all 4 orientations. Or at least, mine does B)

yes i900 supports 180degree orientation, just i dont remember with what program i did that :(

Guest mashimus
Try new 1.6.0 version and add TodayProcess="1" attribute to iFonz.exe process to kill element in configuration file (look into example config file).

I've tried it with iFonz in landscape mode and Manila in portrait and it works without any problems.

Hey QBus...

You are the man ... haha ... it is perfect now...!

I'm also using your ROM ... and it's just as good... I love your work ... so I made a small donation... (8MH0654914725431Y - tell me if you didn't get it) :(

Keep up the great work...

Thanks again...!!!

Edited by mashimus

Guest steveliv

I'm having a bit of trouble getting this to work. I have an omnia i910, i use only the today screen and s2u2. i installed Rotation Service with the following as RotationService.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>

<RotationService>

<!-- Processes which have auto rotation feature disabled -->

<DisableAutoRotationProcesses>

<Process>s2u2.exe</Process>

<Process>shell32.exe</Process>

<Process>Camera.exe</Process>

<Process>cprog.exe</Process>

</DisableAutoRotationProcesses>

</RotationService>

when i restarted RotationService, my whole today screen disappeared and no programs at all would rotate..

what do i need to do so that everything will rotate like normal except for the today screen, s2u2, the camera program, and the phone dialer?

I'm having a bit of trouble getting this to work. I have an omnia i910, i use only the today screen and s2u2. i installed Rotation Service with the following as RotationService.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>

<RotationService>

<DisableAutoRotationProcesses>

<Process>s2u2.exe</Process>

<Process>shell32.exe</Process>

<Process>Camera.exe</Process>

<Process>cprog.exe</Process>

</DisableAutoRotationProcesses>

</RotationService>

when i restarted RotationService, my whole today screen disappeared and no programs at all would rotate..

what do i need to do so that everything will rotate like normal except for the today screen, s2u2, the camera program, and the phone dialer?

I have same problem