BBC iPlayer on your Windows Mobile Device

Guest deadphill

Guest deadphill
thumb_01-Dec-2008_bbc-iplayer_vA7MO_2263.jpg

Hi Guys

In the style of Jeremy Clarkson:

"I was browsing through the internet, and I saw this:" Instructions on how to get BBC iPlayer on your Windows Mobile device!

There is much that I have seen on the internet in much more detail than this, however I think this will be an easier way of reading how to do it.
  1. On your device, go to Opera Mobile 9 and type in opera:config
  2. Scroll down to User Prefs and tap to choose
  3. Scroll down to Custom User-Agent and enter sgh-i900 at the end of whatever is written there.
  4. Scroll down and choose save, ignore any prompt to restart phone and then in the browser window go to http://www.bbc.co.uk/mobile/iplayer/
  5. Enjoy!
This worked for me, however I expect some people will be able to and some wont. Whatever the case please let us know if this works for you and let us know what device you are using. From what I have read this is a slight hack to the N96 capability of mobile iplayer, though there must be some sort of support for Windows Mobile as the trick is to make you think its an i900.

Either way, let us know how you get on with it.

Cheers

Phill

EDIT: If you get a 502 error apparently this is only temporary while they jig the service a bit. There are reports of being unable to get around the under 16 error message but I have not seen this. Streaming live BBC broadcasts however, is working fine!

[Via: Artesea Blog Page]

Hi Guys

"I was browsing through the internet, and I saw this:" Instructions on how to get BBC iPlayer on your Windows Mobile device!

There is much that I have seen on the internet in much more detail than this, however I think this will be an easier way of reading how to do it.

1. On your device, go to Opera and type in opera:config
  3. Scroll down to Custom User-Agent and enter sgh-i900 at the end of whatever is written there.
  4. Scroll down and choose save, ignore any prompt to restart phone and then in the browser window go to http://www.bbc.co.uk/mobile/iplayer/
  5. Enjoy!
This worked for me, however I expect some people will be able to and some wont. Whatever the case please let us know if this works for you and let us know what device you are using. From what I have read this is a slight hack to the N96 capability of mobile iplayer, though there must be some sort of support for Windows Mobile as the trick is to make you think its an i900.

Cheers

Phill

Doesn't seem to work on the HTC HD, you just get a black screen and no sound in the streaming media player B)

Guest smoothcrooner

Hi Guys

1. On your device, go to Opera and type in opera:config
  5. Enjoy!

Cheers

Phill

Works for me, Samsung Omnia owner.

Guest deadphill

Hmm works for me on my diamond first try.

Am going to try on the wife's omnia when I get back. I seem to hear there is native support for the Omnia but I don't know where this is officially documented.

All I know is I got BBC1 going on my phone earlier, and am I pleased? Hell yes!

Cheers

Phill

Guest rameses

Yes the live stream seems to work on my Touch Pro. I couldn't get it to play a 'catch up' program though (Apparitions) as it got stuck at the age verification screen. I haven't tried anything else but it does look promising.

However I don't think it's going to be very download limit friendly.

Guest deadphill

Hmmm yea will put in the full post in a minute, they are doing some work at the moment and apparently will have it up again later...

I have to admit I only tried live streaming, which worked. Still better than nowt!

Cheers

Phill

Doesn't seem to work on the HTC HD, you just get a black screen and no sound in the streaming media player B)

Works on my Touch HD for the live tv. Works surprisingly well in fact and the iplayer homepage looks great on the great screen.

Guest sinet2020

Hi,

It works on my X1. It ran quite smooth with sound in sync but only with HSDPA. It changes to GPRS loads where I live. It didn't like that!

Simon

Guest pd.ryder

I'm using 9.51 beta. I have no "Custom User Agent" option - only "User Agent SpoofUserAgent ID" which is set to "1". I can cycle up or down whole single-figure values, but I cannot add *any* text what-so-ever.

Any ideas?

i followed all the instructions above but it fell flat when i came to play a programme via the iplayer on my vario 2. When i tried to play it launched windows media player and i got a 'corrupt file or file not supported message' I tried to go back into opera then reload the iplayer page but then i got a 'your phone does not support BBC iplayer' message!

any ideas how to get back to the iplayer webpages? (it worked previously) and then how do i get it streaming?

Guest El Boyo

Just tried it on my Hermes and when I clicked 'Click to Play' it went to media player and then came up with file is corrupt or device doesn't support it. But I'll re-visit my settings coz I don't think it saved them!

Guest agent.m
Just tried it on my Hermes and when I clicked 'Click to Play' it went to media player and then came up with file is corrupt or device doesn't support it. But I'll re-visit my settings coz I don't think it saved them!

yeh will love to know if it works i have a hermes too. but dont use opera cause of the memory leak bug in the beta B)

Guest khurram41

Its not working on my xda orbit ii (htc cruise variant) when i add sgh-i900 & save it does not prompt me to restart, it just closed the options, any1 got it working on orbit ii. any suggestions?

Works on my Touch HD for the live tv. Works surprisingly well in fact and the iplayer homepage looks great on the great screen.

Just tried mine again and live TV does work, although sound is very poor

Guest Temp_account2

Works for me on an HTC Touch 3G. So far I've only tried live TV, and though it works, the bit rate is very low and the sound is quite poor. Still, nice to have though, so Thanks!

Toonie.

Guest freekster

My Touch HD gets as far as pretending to play but just displays the file name at the top of a grey screen. No sound, but timeline scrolling happily at the bottom. Also got stuck at the age thing. <_

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.