[FIXED 12-5-08!!]Tethering on the I910 Verizon Omnia?

Guest somedude

Guest TheWhopper
Just use the USB so you can use it for more than an hour or so. :)

Thanks but that sort of defeats the purpose of having your phone setup this way. What if you want to share the connection with a friend? Plus, if you're using a laptop with no ActiveSync installed and no administrator rights (usually applies to company laptops, you need administrator rights to install programs such as ActiveSync), you're pretty much out of luck. Fortunately, the tethered WiFi connection works. I just want to enable WEP to prevent unauthorized users.

Also...Since the phone (not the battery) will get extremely hot I found taking off the back cover and having the screen face down (make sure the surface is smooth so you don't scratch the screen on your phone), helps quite a bit in dissipating the heat.

Has anyone figured out how to to make this work with WEP enabled? That's the only thing needed to make this golden!

Edited by TheWhopper

Guest OctaneMS
Thanks but that sort of defeats the purpose of having your phone setup this way. What if you want to share the connection with a friend? Plus, if you're using a laptop with no ActiveSync installed and no administrator rights (usually applies to company laptops, you need administrator rights to install programs such as ActiveSync), you're pretty much out of luck. Fortunately, the tethered WiFi connection works. I just want to enable WEP to prevent unauthorized users.

Also...Since the phone (not the battery) will get extremely hot I found taking off the back cover and having the screen face down (make sure the surface is smooth so you don't scratch the screen on your phone), helps quite a bit in dissipating the heat.

Has anyone figured out how to to make this work with WEP enabled? That's the only thing needed to make this golden!

Yes, you can secure it using WEP.

Follow these instructions below:

1. On your phone select - Start->Settings -> Connections tab and select WiFi

2. Click on the drop down box at the bottom of the screen and select "Only Computer-to-computer"

3. You should see WMWifiRouter, Select it.

4. Click next one time

5. Change Authentication: to "Shared"

6. Change Data Encryption to "WEP

7. Enter in a 10 digit number in the "Network Key:" box (I used my phone number, easy to remember)

8. Click "Next" and then "Finish"

Use the 10 digit key on the computer that is linking to it through WiFi.

Edited by OctaneMS

• 2 weeks later...
Guest shyboy6868

it works like a charm !

anyone can tell the difference in download & upload speed?

IntShrUI vs. VZAccess

when I used the mobile direct connect, I used get 1.5Mbps ~ 1.7Mbps but now with Intshrui, I am getting about 500 kbps ~ 700 kbps.

Guest pcwizard70

Just want to say thanks for these .cab files and the instructions. I'm very new to the Mobile Windows modding community but based on this alone, I look forward to it all. That being said, I just bought my i910 last week and and the ICS application worked like charm. I was apprehensive about using the WiFi application but did it anyway. It worked great! I did a quick test of launching the WiFiRouter app and then searching for wireless networks on my iPod touch (WiFiTrak). It found the wireless connection, connected flawlessly and then I was able to surf the web for a bit.

Again, thanks to all that contributed to putting this together.

Guest pcwizard70
it works like a charm !

anyone can tell the difference in download & upload speed?

IntShrUI vs. VZAccess

when I used the mobile direct connect, I used get 1.5Mbps ~ 1.7Mbps but now with Intshrui, I am getting about 500 kbps ~ 700 kbps.

This may be the difference between using a work around and paying the extra fee. They may increase the bandwidth if you pay the monthly fee.

Guest shyboy6868

" CF03 upgrade "

I just upgrade to this from samsung.com, guess what? google gps is working fine ! I am so please with that but my internet sharing is not working !!

Anyone can help ?

I tried to hard reset , but firmware stayed the same.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest the wizard 2009
Dude, you are the bomb. I'll try this at home. I've been trying all sort of ICS cab and can't get it to work

When i connect to the WMW wireless i have a limited connectivity and cant access the internet....Help please i followed the instructions and everything works fine except that... Also how can i make it a secure wireless so others cant connect to me? Thanks for your time...

• 1 month later...
Guest hrspowr

I have been tethering with my Omnia for over a year with no problems on my Vista laptop.

I have a strange problem. Just built a new desktop with Windows 7. Connected via USB cable and ICS worked great with nothing needed on the desktop to get online.

Bought a new laptop with W7 also. When connecting vis USB and ICS, it connects for a few seconds, then boots me offline. Running the help wizzard says my LAN3 (mobile phone connection) has no valid IP address.

Tried installing the drivers off CD, Windows Mobile center, etc with no change.

Cant figure out what is different between the 2 machines!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest remmurdgnis
Has anyone successfully tethered their i910 omnia yet or what?

Hey y'all!,

Just want you to know this does work, like a friggin charm! Last day of 2009 and yes this is still viable. Not sure what Verizin will try to charge, but I'll cross that bridge later...

1. Install the cab
  2. soft reset
  3. Plug in USB
  4. click the Icon in your Omnia I910 from programs menu
  5. click connect and your PC will recognize
  6. Enjoy and happy new year!

Guest therealsevanr

Just so I got my facts straight, Verizon won't charge you for tethering? Do I have that right?

I was tethering last night, and it worked fine, just don't want to have to find out I was charged for it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tlavery

I bought an Omnia for a friend who has a phone on our Verizon plan. She has Vista on her laptop and the only thing I loaded on the Omnia (for tethering) was the ICS cab. She is having the same problem that I've seen here a few times. It connects long enough for her to get to a website and then the Omnia disconnects. She has said that the connection lasts 3 minutes. There is no error message, just a chime of some sort. I asked her to try and disable the wireless connection on the laptop in case it is seeing a wifi connection and that is what is interfering with the connection with the Omnia, but she hasn't tried that yet. I did notice that PDANET seemed to work for someone with this problem, but I was hoping for a way she could tether with a program that was free. I would rather keep it simple and just have it set up to tether using the cable so we don't have to set up WEP. If we have to resort to trying PDANET will we have to uninstall the ICS cab? Is it possible to do that without doing a hard reset?

ANY suggestions would be MUCH appreciated!

Guest redphlud

Thank you to everyone who contributed to making this possible, it works great! Screw those greedy bastards for trying to charge extra for this, on top of the EXTRA $30/mo smartphone charge, plus regular internet charge :) :) !!

Guest MrJohnnySpot
I bought an Omnia for a friend who has a phone on our Verizon plan. She has Vista on her laptop and the only thing I loaded on the Omnia (for tethering) was the ICS cab. She is having the same problem that I've seen here a few times. It connects long enough for her to get to a website and then the Omnia disconnects. She has said that the connection lasts 3 minutes. There is no error message, just a chime of some sort. I asked her to try and disable the wireless connection on the laptop in case it is seeing a wifi connection and that is what is interfering with the connection with the Omnia, but she hasn't tried that yet. I did notice that PDANET seemed to work for someone with this problem, but I was hoping for a way she could tether with a program that was free. I would rather keep it simple and just have it set up to tether using the cable so we don't have to set up WEP. If we have to resort to trying PDANET will we have to uninstall the ICS cab? Is it possible to do that without doing a hard reset?

ANY suggestions would be MUCH appreciated!

Have you tried loading on WMWiFiRouter after installing the ICS cab? Also, which rom custom/stock and WM version are you running?

Depending on the versions you will run into various issues/problems so it's helpful to know what's loaded before answering.

Guest gusguts44

Tried this works great, only problem is that my regular internet opera, google maps, and other apps that connect to the internet dont work for some reason. anybody encountered this problem. help please dont want to reset my phone

Guest gatortracey
Tried this works great, only problem is that my regular internet opera, google maps, and other apps that connect to the internet dont work for some reason. anybody encountered this problem. help please dont want to reset my phone

Same problem here with phone internet working after I install the wifi. Did a hard reset, got everything working again, reloaded everything again and again, lost my internet. HELP!!

Guest skylinegtst93

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I did exactly what you said and it worked perfectly!!! i cannot ask for me... Thank you so much AGAIN!!!

Edited by skylinegtst93

Can anyone give me a step-by-step to get bluetooth tethering to work on my Omnia? I am not sure of what settings I need and what sequence to do things in? I have ICS installed and it connects easily via USB, but I cannot seem to get it to connect and share internet via BT. Help!!!

Thanks...arnie

EDIT:

I figured it out!!!!

Here is the procedure that works for my on my i910 with verizon:

ON PHONE:

1. ACTIVATE BT - VISIBLE

2. RUN ICS

3. CLICK "CONNECT" ON ICS

THEN....

ON LAPTOP:

1. OPEN NETWORK CONNECTIONS

2. DOUBLE-CLICK "BLUETOOTH NETWORK CONNECTIONS" TO ENABLE IT

3. DOUBLE-CLICK "BLUETOOTH NETWORK CONNECTIONS" AGAIN

THIS SHOULD BRING UP A SUB-WINDOW SHOWING:

[phone name]

NETWORK ACCESS POINT

BLUETOOTH NAP SERVICES

4. CLICK "CONNECT"

5. VOILA!!!!

Edited by arniep

• 1 month later...
Guest hyde0429

Old thread, but to keep it alive and to report results...

This method WORKS.

You need to have a Verizon phone for this. And since the Omnia is exclusively Verizon...

Anyone having trouble may want to consider flashing to a different ROM than the stock CF03 one. I'm using a rom from the forums and everything works great. Follow the instructions above and you're good. However there were only two cabs in the file. But one then the other did the trick.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest amp3seven

Awesome, worked the first try after I installed the two CAB files, and reset the phone, after each install of the CABs, ran IntShrUI, the turned on WIFI, then ran WMWifiRouter, done. On the net as soon as I Connected to WMWifiRouter , got a .52mb dl and .65mb ul. Thanx Everyone

Guest ebidar

One question, I have been able to use the usb to work with Pc, but what I have noticed that everytime I try to connect phone to computer, it will only read it as the internet sharing device and won't let me open file explorer to view content on phone. Is there a way to make the computer recognize it as a mass storage device again. It is probably something easy but I just can put my finger on it lol. Thank you for your support. BTW wifi is working fine to, so thanks for the files and the ability to to do this. :) ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest itb44

Great thread!

1) ICS works well to USB tether the phone to a single computer. Unfortunately, I was never able to reasonably share the connection with multiple computers using this method since both WinMo ICS and Windows (XP) ICS seem to need to use the same IP address (192.168.0.1), which isn't possible. I made some progress by bridging the connections instead, but that raised too many security issues for me. I've heard that BT works too, but that doesn't charge the phone and still can't be shared among multiple devices (BT is just 1:1).

2) WMWifiRouter 0.91 (the last free version) can be made to work okay for one computer, but almost always gives trouble when trying to share among multiple computers. Full 128-bit WEP can be added to a connection manually, which isn't well known or documented at all. Unfortunately, the unreliability when sharing kills it for me.

3) CM_Wifi_Internet_Sharing (WQVGA version ported by Sector) is slightly harder to use but works better and more reliably for Wifi sharing. Unfortunately, it's limited to a somewhat crippled (only decimal, no hex digits allowed) 64-bit WEP key. Adding better WEP manually doesn't seem to work here, as the program and OS settings conflict.

4) Real DUN tethering is hard to set up unless you simply sign up for big red's tethering plan. It requires changing hidden settings (e.g., remove "dun" text using SamsungPST) so big red doesn't recognize it as DUN and automatically block access. Real DUN tethering seems just as good as WM ICS at sharing with one computer using a DUN connection set up on that computer. The real benefit here is that now the connection can now be more easily shared with other computers on a network (including WiFi, which is easy with a dedicated router but also possible from the computer itself) by using the computer's own Windows (e.g., XP) ICS (works slightly differently with Linux). I have tested a WiFi router to receive the shared Internet connection from a main computer DUNed to the phone. The router shared the connection via WiFi using WPA2 with extreme relaibility. Another benefit is that the DUN connection can be set up to be managed remotely and/or automatically, which is infinitely better than having to go back to the phone and manually reconnect whenever big red's service drops or glitches.

Edited by itb44