Yet another thread: Stable ROM with long battery life

Guest FlorianO

Guest FlorianO

Hello all,

I know this is becoming boring, but since ROMs are comming out so fast it's hard to keep track on. Maybe keep this (or similar) topic pinned without similar threads each other week ?

Anyway, here it goes: I am using my Omnia _heavily_ for my work, with a gobs of softw installed. What I am looking for is (in the order of priorities)

- A ROM that is risk-free to upgd to (or as close to risk-free as possible). I'm on XP.

- Stable

- Battery life

I'm currently (still) on HH1 (pda/phone).

TIA for understanding.

Guest meabigbaldguy
Hello all,

Anyway, here it goes: I am using my Omnia _heavily_ for my work, with a gobs of softw installed. What I am looking for is (in the order of priorities)

- A ROM that is risk-free to upgd to (or as close to risk-free as possible). I'm on XP.

- Stable

- Battery life

I was beginning to believe, for a moment, that I was the only one in this forum that doesn't use the omnia for play. Needless to say, I also use my Omnia for heavy work use and also run many apps. To answer your questions...

- ROM: I use the Modaco custom DTHJ9/MCR03 ROM, and it works great. It's a serious ROM without any fancy cartoon characters, or flamboyant themes. In other words, it's a tweaked Samsung ROM. I've had it for over a month now, and so far no noticeable bugs, stability issues, etc. It works very well for my demands! To download this ROM, go to the link in this forum, you can't miss it!

- Battery Life: I've read throughout the forums that the battery life is an issue overall with the Omnia, but I refuse to believe that this is an issue at all, and I refuse to believe that the ROM has anything to do with it. For the ROM's part, my battery life isn't any different from what it was with the original ROM. I happen to know something about battery science, and to put it plainly, the Omnia is a very power hungry device because of its engineered application. Modern day battery technology is behind the eightball with today's demands so this doesn't surprise me at all. For my part, if I begin the day with 100% charge, then throughout the day use BT, WiFi, WAP, or even both, and a handful of calls, including running other s/w, battery life is 40% at the day's end. Big deal!

- Risk: The MCR03 Rom was easy for me to download and flash. To flash a ROM, you can actually find the download and flash instructions on Samsung's website... http://www.samsungmobile.com/. Select your country and then choose Omnia... and you will see that you will also be able to download an official ROM there as well, which will vary depending on your location. For example, I have an unbranded Omnia purchased whilst visiting Singapore, but it will not allow me to flash an UK ROM. Since the MCR03 is a custom ROM, this wasn't a problem for me at all. Something you should note is that if you have a branded Omnia (i.e. Vodafone, O2) you may not be able to flash another rom at all, and doing so may brick your device. My advice on this part of the matter is to check the forums for those who have already been there with branded phones. From what I've seen, Vodafone Omnia's are particularly sensitive to this.

If you try to flash this ROM, it's easy, but I caution you to follow the instructions in Samsung's website and the MCR03 ROM forum carefully!

Hope this helps!

Guest Michael122w
- Battery Life: I've read throughout the forums that the battery life is an issue overall with the Omnia, but I refuse to believe that this is an issue at all, and I refuse to believe that the ROM has anything to do with it. For the ROM's part, my battery life isn't any different from what it was with the original ROM. I happen to know something about battery science, and to put it plainly, the Omnia is a very power hungry device because of its engineered application. Modern day battery technology is behind the eightball with today's demands so this doesn't surprise me at all. For my part, if I begin the day with 100% charge, then throughout the day use BT, WiFi, WAP, or even both, and a handful of calls, including running other s/w, battery life is 40% at the day's end. Big deal!

Hi meabigbaldguy!

I am not sure I agree with you on this point. The ROMs do make a difference to the battery life - the omia adjusts the speed of the processor to optimise the battery. Different ROMs were tweaked with different setting. Some slightly faster (quicker battery drain) others slightly slower (longer battery). Your ROM is probably based on a HJ1 rom - which is when the battery life of the ROMs began to stabilise.

I do agree that with high powered devices (with big screens, 3G and wifi etc) we are never going to get a week out of the battery. But I am using the raw HK2 and it will last me a couple of days with fairly solid useage.

The raw rom has the stock standard interfaces (widgets, Samsung Today 1 and 2) - which I am pretty happy with Today 2 is my usual. But I don't see a contradition between people having a intuitive interface such as M2D and being a serious user. The interfaces just give you different avenues to the functions you require.

Michael

• 1 year later...
Guest hitman1980
Hello all,

I know this is becoming boring, but since ROMs are comming out so fast it's hard to keep track on. Maybe keep this (or similar) topic pinned without similar threads each other week ?

- Stable

- Battery life

TIA for understanding.

Best of all - OCK's (23118 GTX Edition)

look here .... http://www.modaco.com/content/i900-general...nium-ultralite/

Thanks

Bob