Selling phone on ebay - strange request

Guest m2te

Hi,

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this question and don't know if it has been convered before.

I have sold an old contract mobile on ebay and the guy who bought it has received it and is now asking for the mobile number and the name of the original contract holder - sounds a bit odd too me. He claims this is needed so he can register the phone to his number and to avoid scams.

Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks.

Guest Neil5459

As long as the original contract is now linked to another device, it will have been disassociated with the device that has been sold.

All the buyer needs is the IMEI number to register the phone with his operator; he should not need any other details. In fact there is no need to register a phone handset to an operator anyway- it's the SIM card that matters unless the phone is locked to another network, and requires unlocking.

Guest tobbbie
As long as the original contract is now linked to another device, it will have been disassociated with the device that has been sold.

All the buyer needs is the IMEI number to register the phone with his operator; he should not need any other details. In fact there is no need to register a phone handset to an operator anyway- it's the SIM card that matters unless the phone is locked to another network, and requires unlocking.

He only needs this info to unlock the phone - for nothing else.

You usually never need anything to have a phone working in a network except a legal SIM and a handset that accepts this SIM.

Guest Monolithix

If i were you i'd contact your provider directly and unlock it that way. I'd never provide those kind of details to an ebay buyer. To be honest, if you sold it as locked anyway you are under no obligation to go out of your way to unlock it, let alone provide personal details to a randomer...