Using RSS Hub to provide twitter alerts

Guest Monolithix

Guest Monolithix

So as Paul and I were discussing on this weeks Podcast, I've set up RSS Hub on my HD to pull down my "twitter with friends" feed in an attempt at getting pseudo-instant alerts thanks to HTC including a system-notification feature (or maybe that was illiumsoft :rolleyes:).

However it's being kinda odd, to the exent of which I feel like i'm missing something obvious. It will only update the feed every 40 minutes (in this case), and then expires (eg - deletes) the entries when it next refreshes.

Anyone else using RSS Hub found a way to make it act more normally? That is, update every 5, 15, whatever minutes and to store a decent backlog of entries?

Guest dr_nick

i find it annoying that it doesn't download a decent amount of text, and instead i have to follow a link to the webpage for every post.

can't see a setting to increase the standard volume of text it will download for free..

also - doesn't seem to download more than about 17minutes of a podcast. - just enought o be annoying cos you are just getting ionto the swing of things and it cuts out!

there must be a better (preferably free) program than this?

Guest Monolithix

Well there's newsgator, which is awesome and what I use for day to day rss triaging. The reason I picked up on RSS hub was the built in system notification setting, it also has keyword filtering and the limited text is fine for my purpose, which is twitter :rolleyes:

If there are other half decent RSS readers out there which can product useful notifications then that would achieve the same end :)

PS: No probs with Podcast downloading on mine?

Guest dr_nick

but rss hub requires to be running in the background, does it not, for the notifications to work?

would newsgator alarm if it received a new feed whilst running in the background - hey prest same thing?!

i toyed with newsgator before and think i found it no good for my needs, but that may have been because i was looking for a desktop podcast catcher which would automatically synchronise downloaded content on activesync connection.

but if this work around can get me instant notification of twitter feed, then maybe i do need a download-direct rss aggregator...

:rolleyes:

Guest Paul (MVP)

The best solution DOES seem to be for someone to write an app for this.

I propose an app that...

- runs in the background

- on a set schedule consumes your Twitter RSS

- puts the messages in your SMS inbox as if they were real SMS (and plays appropriate notification)

That'd be cool.

P