DXHL1

Guest Massive Attack

Guest Stephan_King

Works fine for me. New things I've noticed:

Favorite setting application

More Today 1 widgets

New Enhanced GPS setting application

Battery life seems OK

I also will wait for HL2 but wanted to try this one also.

Stephan

Guest bobobird

Installed using grandprix 1.6.4.

Not apps installed yet.

Device storage down to 33.69 compared to 50+ with older ROM, Program memory also slightly down to 42.89mb. Most of the storage loss is from the new OnlineWidget dir in \Windows.

Widgets - you can select which to show

- weather, updates only using wifi or data connection, not through activesync. If there is no connection, will keep trying to update. To cancel, x does not work but pressing end key does.

- stocks works fine updates no problems

- yahoo / google are search engines

- cnn updates fine

- Get more widgets - mostly French or Italian atm

- new SMS widget

GPS - additional settings in Enhanced GPS are gone, fix time is fast

Dice game gone

Opera - very fast

Programs -

- new SharePix, lists facebook and other popular sites, incl youtube, picasa etc. youtube menu loads IE not Opera. Network error from WMP, when trying to play youtube vids. List of sites appears static and cannot be added to, nothing in settings to do that except add/remove from the default list.

- new Favourite Settings (supplementary page opens a settings page similar to that in Today 2)

Camera - no changes but GPS fix even indoors is very fast. Settings not saved issue remains.

Wifi - good

youtube - opens media player then network error if wifi not open.

Overall ?????

Seems net access using activesync is an issue but using wifi is not. Perhaps someone could test and confirm ??

When I removed the usb cable, the playing problems mentioned earlier were gone. Also interesting was that wifi was on all the time. hrmmmm

Quite impressive. Lets hope HL2 will bring more and fixes more of the minor irritations.

Edited by bobobird

Guest bobobird
in another thread the people mentioned that the sensitivity and response of the touch screen is very poor, can you confirm that?

Sensitivity, screen navigation etc all excellent.

Response depends on what you are loading up and that has nothing to do with the screen.

Edit : mazeli you are partly right - the top bar sensitivity is really bad, used to be excellent in the K series.

Edited by bobobird

Guest samjuan
Gladly, but check where for those values ??

umm, good question! :rolleyes:

for the flash, can you open www.youtube.com "not m.youtube.com" and view the videos normally inside the browser "not in the streaming player" and while watching hold-click on the video you will see the flash version.

For .NET compact frame work... I'm not really sure, but if you have an application that needs it "I suppose one of Paul's, or "imap pusher service" application" it won't work, giving you an explanatory error message.

Thanks mate...

Guest bobobird
umm, good question! :rolleyes:

for the flash, can you open www.youtube.com "not m.youtube.com" and view the videos normally inside the browser "not in the streaming player" and while watching hold-click on the video you will see the flash version.

For .NET compact frame work... I'm not really sure, but if you have an application that needs it "I suppose one of Paul's, or "imap pusher service" application" it won't work, giving you an explanatory error message.

Thanks mate...

youtube refuses to play nice with me. m.youtube goes to wmp and then plays ok. properties dont show anything. Using without the m. it just keeps flipping pages on me.

netcf - installed trackme which needs cf3.5 and startup failed. So, yes, we are still with the older version.

Guest samjuan
youtube refuses to play nice with me. m.youtube goes to wmp and then plays ok. properties dont show anything. Using without the m. it just keeps flipping pages on me.

netcf - installed trackme which needs cf3.5 and startup failed. So, yes, we are still with the older version.

thanks mate... "sigh"

Guest bobobird

No further feedback ??

Noticed something new - Opened programs list in start menu. It self clears (except last used program) after some time. Then after some more time, the used programs show up again - weird !!!!

gps - refuses to work if the weather widget has been setup and there is no data connection. Disable weather widget and gps works again.

Guest bobobird
Bug and more bugs :S

too much memory :)

the phone i have more feedback later :rolleyes:

Yes uses too much memory and widget open after reboot takes a long time.

But loss of memory not really a big issue because most programs will install to sd and if you use the faster sds performace can actually be better then using the device memory which i think is not actually RAM but just the internal flash memory.

Guest samjuan
No further feedback ??

Noticed something new - Opened programs list in start menu. It self clears (except last used program) after some time. Then after some more time, the used programs show up again - weird !!!!

gps - refuses to work if the weather widget has been setup and there is no data connection. Disable weather widget and gps works again.

bob, I think this has been there since K1 "the auto clearing history after a while".

Guest samjuan
More....

streaming player is gone but there is a dead shortcut

each reboot it wants to connect out, dont know which app is trying that

basically a buggy ROM that all should stay away from it right? :rolleyes:

More....

streaming player is gone but there is a dead shortcut

each reboot it wants to connect out, dont know which app is trying that

streaming player was gone because whoever released the bins did not release 'CSC.BIN' or 'customer.csc' file.

streaming player is inside csc file, so if you don't flash it, all you have is a dead link.

if you take dxhk3 csc and flash it, 99% it'll work straight then.

Guest bobobird

thx lufeig - i didnt install the css - only a test install and not even configured for much except checking features, bugs, performance etc.

so far it isnt all that bad apart from the issues mentioned in above posts - hopefully L2 or later will fix this but sometimes samsung walks backwards 2 steps for each 1 step forward that it takes. :rolleyes:

oh btw, wonderful work on that bare rom of yours

merry xmas and happy new year to all.

Guest Geronymous
Yes uses too much memory and widget open after reboot takes a long time.

But loss of memory not really a big issue because most programs will install to sd and if you use the faster sds performace can actually be better then using the device memory which i think is not actually RAM but just the internal flash memory.

I install almost all my programs on the SD card, but storage memory is consumed pretty quickly by the different caches (IE, Opera, Google Maps, Attachments, PIM, etc.). So unless I move all caches to the SD card, which I prefer not to do, I end up having very little memory after a couple of weeks.

Fortunately Secany releases a new ROM once in a while, so flashing the new ROM resets most of my caches and it works fine again... :( :D B)

I am concerned though about all these new Widgets... I don't think I will use them (I really like Samsung Today 2) but they will eat up precious memory!!! :rolleyes: :) :(

Guest bobobird
I install almost all my programs on the SD card, but storage memory is consumed pretty quickly by the different caches (IE, Opera, Google Maps, Attachments, PIM, etc.). So unless I move all caches to the SD card, which I prefer not to do, I end up having very little memory after a couple of weeks.

Except for Google which I am not sure about, all the other caches can be moved to sd quite easily.

First time will be a bit tedious, but if you do a before/after comparison of the registry and then save the modified registry setting, all you have to do after a rom upgrade is run the saved entries (or you could combine them all into one bigger reg file and then only need to run it once).