Help me customise my S740!

Guest mo_sjo

Hi folks,

Got my S740 this morning. I bought this from Insight (for £305 inc VAT!) to replace the HTC Touch/O2 Ignito I bought on a new contract last week. Less to say I didn't get on with the Diamond (never been a fan of touch screens to be honest so it was a gamble).

My initial opinion on the 'Rose' is that it's near-on perfect! It feels good, it's solid, it's fast.

Now I want to customise it to make it 100% ideal for me. My first thing i'd like to change is the home screen. I'm using the 'HTC' home screen which has stuff like weather on it. There are a couple of things on the home screen i'd like to remove, like Internet Explorer and Email - can anyone point me/tell me how to achieve this? I've not done any customisation since my old 'Vox'!

Also is it possible to get the weather app to display wind speed as well as temp? That's be VERY useful to me (as I do flying)..

Many thanks

:rolleyes:

ps: this is a truly MEGA phone if you like candy bars. It's everything RIGHT that the Vox/S710 was WRONG.

Guest Socrates

I have an s740. I love everything about this phone. Except one thing. The damned button lights!!!

Pressing the dpad does NOT make the keypad or home/back/soft key light turn on. In order to turn on the keypad lights you have to press 1-9/*/#. in order to turn on the lights for the home/back/soft keys you have to press one of those.

In all my previous cell phones, especially my smt5600 and s710, pressing any button turned on ALL The lights.

I want to slap the engineer who thought this needed changing.

Plus the lights turn back off ridiculously fast. Almost before you can remember what you were about to type or press.

Anyone have a hack for this?

Edited by Socrates

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mysterious Stranger
I didn't see much wrong with the Vox/E650 :rolleyes:

Which rom are you using? I found the e650 to be slow and clunky with orange's rom. I'm trying to find a decent rom for the Vox to make it a fair fight doing a comparison with the s710/730/740 I have.

mo_sjo no need to, have a Diamond :)

Not a fair comparison. The voda diamond I have has a clunky rom - unable to flash that as it was employer provided - and the s740 is sweeet - fast, responsive, and in comparison to the 730 no memory leak issues (so far!).

M.S

I don't doubt the S740 is good, most reviews have been positive though haven't tried one myself. The E650 I have is very stable, has a nice form-factor with it's rubberised coating and is a thoroughly likeable device. :rolleyes:

Guest Mysterious Stranger
I don't doubt the S740 is good, most reviews have been positive though haven't tried one myself. The E650 I have is very stable, has a nice form-factor with it's rubberised coating and is a thoroughly likeable device. :rolleyes:

I love the form factor - and the rubberised coating too ( one of the things I like about the g1 as well) of the s710 /e650 - just the rom orange supplied on the device slows it down massively - hence me asking what rom you use to like it so much!

M.S

Guest Calvin.

Coming back to the original question from mo_sjo ...

There is a blog on customizing the sliding panel homescreen.

For editing copy HTCSlidingPanel.home.xml (in Application Data\Home) to your PC and delete the specific items (Internet Explorer = HTCFavorite, email = HTCEMAIL) and copy the changed file back.

@Socrates

It looks like there is no fix yet on the backlight issue. At least I haven't found one sifting through several forums and checking myself. But I would be glad if someone could solve this annoying behavior.

I've had a quick crack at this and didn't get too far.. changing the HTCSlidingPanel.home.xml and moving it back didn't make any difference at all! I think i'll check TotalCommander to make sure there isn't another copy somewhere...

Guest Calvin.
I've had a quick crack at this and didn't get too far.. changing the HTCSlidingPanel.home.xml and moving it back didn't make any difference at all! I think i'll check TotalCommander to make sure there isn't another copy somewhere...

Try the one in the attachment. Copy it over and select "HTC Home (mo_sjo)". This should delete email and PIE in the Homescreen.

I changed in the original one this line

to

by deleting HTCEMAIL and HTCFavorite.

HTCSlidingPanelmosjo.home.zip