IE6 Mobile yours to play with now... if you have a Touch HD!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

A short while ago, Microsoft released the emulator images of Windows Mobile 6.1.4 featuring Internet Explorer 6 Mobile. Microsoft made it clear that the browser wouldn't hit a broad range of devices immediately, citing hardware requirements (not to mention the fact that the majority of phones now feature the very competent Opera 9.5 browser!)

Anyhow, the release of the emulator images meant that it was only a matter of time before the browser made it into custom 'cooked' ROMs, and such a ROM featuring IE6 is now available for the Touch HD.

You can find out more in this topic, and I imagine IE6 ROMs will follow for a number of devices going forward.

If you DO have a play - or indeed have a play with the emulator images - let us know your thoughts! :rolleyes:

P

6on6-new-1.png6on6-new-2.png

Guest deadphill

How likely is this to make it onto other devices ie the diamond?

How hard was it to get this onto the hd in the first place? Even though this is crappy IE, it looks miles apart from PIE we currently have to endure!

Oh and is this the patched version without the security flaw that ie7, 6 and 5 reportedly have?

Cheers

Phill

Guest Paul (MVP)
How likely is this to make it onto other devices ie the diamond?

Very!

How hard was it to get this onto the hd in the first place? Even though this is crappy IE, it looks miles apart from PIE we currently have to endure!

Not rocket science, but not 'simple'...

Oh and is this the patched version without the security flaw that ie7, 6 and 5 reportedly have?

There is no patched version for WinMo AFAIK. Not sure the vuln is relevant to WinMo tho.

P

Guest shadamehr

At the Press Conference after the verdict of the man found guilty of killing Rachel Nickell, two days ago, her father pleaded with the press and media, now that the case was finally finished after all these years, never again to use any of the many images the family had handed out, of Rachel, over the years, and let the matter be.

I am ABSOLUTELY CRYSTAL CLEAR sure Paul you never intended ANY slight at all, but it is highly unfortunate the page you happened to screengrab, or what became used for the posted image.

If possible, you might want to edit it, if you can, for a new example, but the example unwittingly posted, is the exact very thing Rachel's father pleaded with the press not to do.

As I say though, you have merely posted an innocent image, it's just very bad luck what it contains.

Hope this info is useful mate...

Guest shadamehr
Snaps updated, an unfortunate choice perhaps of screenshotting my favourite site with that story on screen at the time!

P

Just to stress again Paul, firstly there was ZERO wrong on your part, it's just one of those things, and you likely never even watched her father's press conference so as to know.

And secondly, as ever round here, things get sorted Pronto when your on the case.

Well done, and all the best to everyone for Christmas, reading this.

Guest Jasonkruys
Look on XDA-developers.com and you find the IE6 for mobile browser already cooked into custom Diamond Roms as well.

Indeed, I tried it as part of one of Duttys ROM's....and I have to say, it was not good at all - very sluggish. In fact, so bad, Dutty removed it from the next version. Hopefully things will mature soon enough for it to become a possibility, although I have to say, I am struggling to think of a reason to use it since Opera is so capable!

Edited by Jasonkruys

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Menneisyys
I tried IE6 but found it very clunky to use and it still wouldn't let me use the flash sites i use most, so its not really a big deal to be honest.

Agreed. For my new browser article to be published tomorrow, I've very thoroughly tested it on my HTC Universal and found it really bad, even compared to the standard PIE - let alone Opera Mobile (or even Opera Mini running under the VGA-hacked Jbed 5.1). There is no point in preferring it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.