Questions on Notification Sounds

Guest volsmcfalls

Guest volsmcfalls

I'm a total newbie to the ppc scene. I've only had my omnia for about a week now and have some questions about the notification sounds and was hoping someone here could help me...

1) Does the notification sound for a text message have to be in .wav format (or some other format)? Can I not just use an .mp3 file for that? I find it hard to believe that my old Motorola Razor could use mp3 files as text alerts and my ppc cannot.

2) Do the alert sounds / ringtones have to be in a specific location on the phone? I have a memory card with several mp3s on them but when I go in to assign a ringtone they don't show up in the drop-down list. I would really like to not to have to transfer them over to the phone's storage because it would take up room.

3) If you apply a specific ringtone to a contact, do you get that same ringtone if that person texts you, or do you get the text message sound? On the Razor I had before, you would set a custome ringtone for a contact and then a different one for all text messages. But, on another I had if you set the ringtone for a contact it used the same ringtone for text messages and you never knew if someone was calling you or texting you.

and, lastly, 4) can you assign different text message alerts to different people? In other words, for my wife's contact on my phone I want a unique ringone, as well as a unique text message alert (so I'll know if I need to answer it sooner). Or perhaps a unique alert for messages from the boss. But, the ringtone wouldn't be a good one to use for the text message because the ringtone is so much longer than a simple text alert.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Guest s7hr3oo0m

You will have to place the ring tones on the phone storage it self unless you hack the registry. But to save space you should be able to save the ring tones that you have on your computer in a smaller wma format.

as far as different sms notifications for different contacts i do not believe that can be done.

Guest SamuelClydeJones

I'm intrested in this too! If anyone knows a way of doing it I'd appreciate it :-)

I've only had my 914c for a couple of days and its the first time I've had a PPC Phone, I used to have a really old iPaq back in the day but it wasnt a phone and It was running Windows CE if I remember correctly.

My samsung G600 had very poor support for SMS notifications, ended up putting a hacked ROM on it just to be able to play MP3's and even then it'd only play part.

Guest awarner (MVP)

SMS/notification sounds are handled differently to ringtones and contacts can not be assigned different notification sounds.

You do not want to use a long running tune for SMS (ie a song you like etc) as it will play the entire tune and can not be cancelled, unless that annoying feature is now fixed on newer devices?